Update on "Encyclopedia"

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I am negotiating with printers. 97% done, aside from further edits. i have 3 editors, one of which is our own George Fels. What takes time is that once I get a portion edited by one editor I send it to another one to edit what the other editor edited. This is the best way to get the most perspective.

Beard

Here is a little excerpt from one of my favorite chapters:

“King,” the Wonder Dog of Pool
The lifetime companion of Jerry the Greek and the world’s smartest pool dog

“King could give Rin-Tin-Tin three games on the wire. King would make a high performing hooker outta Lassie.”
Brooklyn Pancho

“King was smarter than any dog I ever saw doing tricks on TV or in the movies. It's not even close. He recognized people by name. Jerry would say, "King, go say hi to Jay." And King would walk over to me and put his paw out. He would do this for any regular in the poolroom. Once Jerry introduced King to somebody, he remembered them forever.”
Jay Helfert

“I was in Jerry's apartment one day when the phone rang. Jerry told the dog, "King I don’t feel like movin' much today and getting outta this chair. Answer the phone and bring it over." Jerry used no hand signals whatsoever. Whereupon King picked up the receiver in his mouth and carried it over to Jerry with the long extension cord.”
Brooklyn Jimmy Cassas

“All right, if Freddie the Beard isn't going to relate this tale of myth and lore about the great King, I will. With all 15 balls racked up, Jerry would let you pick a ball. The bet was that King would on simple, no trickery voice command, go retrieve said ball. It was a beautiful thing to behold.

Having always had a dry, perverted sense of humor and irony, I especially enjoyed the looks on the suckers faces, when King dutifully but joyfully retrieved the ball.”
Grady Mathews

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I am negotiating with printers. 97% done, aside from further edits. i have 3 editors, one of which is our own George Fels. What takes time is that once I get a portion edited by one editor I send it to another one to edit what the other editor edited. This is the best way to get the most perspective.

Beard

“King could give Rin-Tin-Tin three games on the wire. King would make a high performing hooker outta Lassie.”
Brooklyn Pancho

“King was smarter than any dog I ever saw doing tricks on TV or in the movies. It's not even close. He recognized people by name. Jerry would say, "King, go say hi to Jay." And King would walk over to me and put his paw out. He would do this for any regular in the poolroom. Once Jerry introduced King to somebody, he remembered them forever.”
Jay Helfert

“I was in Jerry's apartment one day when the phone rang. Jerry told the dog, "King I don’t feel like movin' much today and getting outta this chair. Answer the phone and bring it over." Jerry used no hand signals whatsoever. Whereupon King picked up the receiver in his mouth and carried it over to Jerry with the long extension cord.”
Brooklyn Jimmy Cassas

“All right, if Freddie the Beard isn't going to relate this tale of myth and lore about the great King, I will. With all 15 balls racked up, Jerry would let you pick a ball. The bet was that King would on simple, no trickery voice command, go retrieve said ball. It was a beautiful thing to behold.

Having always had a dry, perverted sense of humor and irony, I especially enjoyed the looks on the suckers faces, when King dutifully but joyfully retrieved the ball.”
Grady Mathews

oh man, not again.... Sorry, Freddy, but I still have to point out it was most likely a gaffe:

http://www.skepdic.com/cleverhans.html

Lou Figueroa

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Beard

Freddy....just thought you should know this fact, in case you want to omit that Lassie line, so as not to have any perfectionist/fact checkers calling you out on your accuracy...

The actual dog portraying Lassie in every incarnation of the tv shows/movies was always a male Collie - never a female.

- Ghost

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Freddy....just thought you should know this fact, in case you want to omit that Lassie line, so as not to have any perfectionist/fact checkers calling you out on your accuracy...

The actual dog portraying Lassie in every incarnation of the tv shows/movies was always a male Collie - never a female.

- Ghost

I actually did know that, but I didnt think anybody else did. Keep in mind, Lassie was big in MY time.

Beard

King would have had "Lassie" hustling the gay kennels.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
King

King

Wonder if there is a picture anywhere of King with his cap and sunglasses on.

If you went into any action joint in LA or Orange County back in the day, he was liable to be there.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
That is amazing! I didnt know that you had spent time around King -- like all of us fools, me, Pancho, Jay Helfert, Brooklyn Jimmy and Grady! :confused:

Beard

Didn't say the dog didn't do tricks. Just sayin' there's a reasonable explanation.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member

- Ghost

Don't tell him there were like five female Flippers, or four Rin Tin Tins.

Lou Figueroa
no telling how many Sandy's
from Little Orphan Annie

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Wonder if there is a picture anywhere of King with his cap and sunglasses on.

If you went into any action joint in LA or Orange County back in the day, he was liable to be there.

I have a picture of him of course (maybe the only known copy), in my new book.

Beard

Did you ever lose any money to Jerry the Greek betting against King?

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
I might have chipped in a time or two, knowing it was a loser, just to see King do the impossible.

John, John, John. You fell for the mass hypnosis too?

I hope you realize now that all that stuff didn't really happen, it was all trickery.

Hell, people think...Beenie good/Whitey bad...and any story otherwise is a lie.

I'd have been paying often to see it myself, some stuff is too good not to go for it.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
John, John, John. You fell for the mass hypnosis too?

I hope you realize now that all that stuff didn't really happen, it was all trickery.

Hell, people think...Beenie good/Whitey bad...and any story otherwise is a lie.

I'd have been paying often to see it myself, some stuff is too good not to go for it.

Here is one more nail in the credibility of the Claim Jumper. I dont think he even knows who King the Wonder Dog is! Thats how much he has been around. A West Coast California pool player that probably, up until now has never heard of King.

Beard

Thats like someone claiming to be from Chicago but who had never heard of Al Capone.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Not really. Neither Little Orphan Annie or Sandy were drawn with eyes.

Lou Figueroa

What they didnt have was EYE-BALLS. They had eyes.

Beard

I would like Punjab to wave a magic rug over the Claim Jumper and make him disappear.

Or maybe the Asp could cut his air-hose with his knife.

This is not as absurd as it may seem. The Claim Jumper has claimed that "Daddy Warbucks" was not a top Onepocket player and could have never played anybody 8 or no count. And everyone knows that Punjab and the Asp worked for him.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
What they didnt have was EYE-BALLS. They had eyes.

Beard

I would like Punjab to wave a magic rug over the Claim Jumper and make him disappear.

Or maybe the Asp could cut his air-hose with his knife.

This is not as absurd as it may seem. The Claim Jumper has claimed that "Daddy Warbucks" was not a top Onepocket player and could have never played anybody 8 or no count. And everyone knows that Punjab and the Asp worked for him.

Eye sockets.

Lou Figueroa
so there