One Ball One Pocket

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry...............because that is the rule. Everyone is trying to come up with a rule that would stop an offensive shot on the break. I personally don't think a rule is necessary, but if we must have a rule..........that is the rule that would stop an offensive shot on the break, don't you see?

If you disagree please tell me what OFFENSIVE shot you would play following that rule? :rolleyes:
now i get it.
:cool:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
What do you guys think of Steve's Option: Any 3 scratches accumulated is a loss of game.

And, I just notice this; 'Steve's Handicap Game': Steve's Handicap proposal of freezing additional balls to the head rail for the stronger player.
On the freezing I have a question; are the balls frozen to each other and side by side off the center diamond or are they frozen straight away from center diamond like a standard spotting technique. Which way would be better?

Steve has really put some thought into this, and really making it into a more real life OP game. Well a real life 'End Game of OP'. A good end game player should really like this.
Whitey

Last edited:

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Oh…my…god

All this talk about this and that.

Just set up the first shot where you can shoot at your hole if you want.

Eliminate all this other garbage, can’t win on the first shot but you can lose on the second…wtf! 2-1 against you right off the bat. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Put the ball on the spot and the cue ball in one of the Head rail pockets and do whatever you want:

Cut it backwards for the win
Play safe
Push out
Jump it off the table
Whatever you like, just like any other shot

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
The best move on the break is to keep the OB at or just below the side pocket so as to thwart the two railer to your opponents hole and to make it precarious for him to take a chance with the CB so near the side hole.

If you play the rule that the OB in any other hole you lose can get very tedious if one gets the OB near any corner or side hole not in play. I don't care for that rule, myself.

It is not considered a disadvantage to break in my room..... ;)....but we don't play the CB frozen to the head rail, just in the kitchen.

You are missing the point.....most players would shoot the 4 railer at their hole knowing that they probably won't make it, but could very well hang it or get it close. A one ball foul for making the 4 railer is not going to stop that shot.

I already gave the solution if we must have a rule to stop players from taking an offensive shot. "Breaker must direct the OB to the opponents side of the table........under penalty of loss of game."

There are NO offensive shots available under that rule.... :rolleyes:
This is the correct way to state the rule for breaks. No more is needed.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Not that I think it needs it but a simple solution is that after the break pockets are determined by the pocket that the ball is furthest from

youngstown

Verified Member
I thought that you couldn’t get your ball within a diamond square of your pocket on the break…

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Not that I think it needs it but a simple solution is that after the break pockets are determined by the pocket that the ball is furthest from
That's clever and works, but is the same thing as I said earlier..........."direct the OB to the opponents side of the table"..... :)

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I have played one ball one pocket off and on for over 50 years. It was and is a gambling game and the rules were decided by the people that play it. I do understand the need for basic rules now that it is getting popular as a tournament game. It does not have to be too complicated. Where to place the two balls to start, and then you are playing regular one pocket with both of you needing a ball.

Don‘t overthink it.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I have played one ball one pocket off and on for over 50 years. It was and is a gambling game and the rules were decided by the people that play it. I do understand the need for basic rules now that it is getting popular as a tournament game. It does not have to be too complicated. Where to place the two balls to start, and then you are playing regular one pocket with both of you needing a ball.

Don‘t overthink it.
What he said. It's a gambling game. Basic rules and let them go.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Looks like they are having another tournament at SRC this week. As they are running both tournaments maybe one of them will let us know the rules they are playing by.

baby huey

Verified Member
I watched Billy Thorpe and Chip Compton playing One Ball One Pocket at the California Billiard Club two years ago. No loss of game unless you made the ball in the opponents pocket without scratching. Never more than one object ball on the table at any given time and if you scratched or followed a ball in the opponents pocket that one ball came up. This is how I've seen the game played over the years and I think its the correct way to play. They were betting $300 a game so if the game took awhile it didn't matter too much. BTW, Billy came ahead one game after two hours.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I watched Billy Thorpe and Chip Compton playing One Ball One Pocket at the California Billiard Club two years ago. No loss of game unless you made the ball in the opponents pocket without scratching. Never more than one object ball on the table at any given time and if you scratched or followed a ball in the opponents pocket that one ball came up. This is how I've seen the game played over the years and I think its the correct way to play. They were betting $300 a game so if the game took awhile it didn't matter too much. BTW, Billy came ahead one game after two hours.
Jerry, I don't quite understand. If a player scratches, he has to spot a ball, right? So then there would be 2 OBs on the table.

I watched Cardone and Van Boening playing the game several years back-- in Tunica. If I'm not mistaken, SVB had to make 2, whereas Bill only had to make 1-- for $1K per game. So they started with 2 balls on the spot, and played regular 1P from there. The first shot had to be defensive, but I don't recall any other particulars, if there were any.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Jerry, I don't quite understand. If a player scratches, he has to spot a ball, right? So then there would be 2 OBs on the table.

I watched Cardone and Van Boening playing the game several years back-- in Tunica. If I'm not mistaken, SVB had to make 2, whereas Bill only had to make 1-- for $1K per game. So they started with 2 balls on the spot, and played regular 1P from there. The first shot had to be defensive, but I don't recall any other particulars, if there were any.
I would think you have to spot a ball if you scratch otherwise, just take intentionals every time you dont have a shot to win and put the Cb wherever you want it.

Reactions: lll

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I also like the idea of basic rules of One Pocket applying, except starting with one ball.

If you wanted to rush it and still keep it simple then yeah, you could play “Sudden Death” One Ball 1P — where any scratch or foul is loss of game. But please NOT a loss if the ball goes in a neutral pocket — that would be a completely different game!