2021 MOT MEMPHIS SIGN UP

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
I once worked for a man who was the Chairman of the Board. This man was the smartest fellow I ever met in business. He used to have the following saying " I reserve the right to change my mind as I get smarter". Maybe its time someone changes their mind with regard to Ikes eligibility. Keith

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I really wish if we were bending the rules it was for someone like Alex, Corey, or Omar.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Allowing a pro player to enter last minute, who is getting staked his entry, hotel, transportation etc to play in an amatuer tournament a week before the tournament starts just doesn't seem right to me Steve. A pro player plays for the money, its their job..
He has not been active or contributed to these forums in the last few months which has always been the rule. Boosting your posts a week or so before the tournament doesn't make you an active member.
And your thinking a pro player might start posting here by letting him rob our amatuer members tournament doesn't sound like a plan

Last edited:

OldSchool

Verified Member
Unbelievable. Miller, Mkbtank, Hardmix, chicagomike, lfigueroa, youngstown, jrhendy, sappo, crabcatjohn, you guys are 100% right on the Ike decision, and Steve Booth is 100% wrong.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I can see both sides and although I am not attending this event, here are a few of my thoughts.

We have always tried to recruit "pros" to join our group. It will make us all better players. We can learn things from them through WWYD posts and/or in person at member events. As Steve mentioned, Ike played in the Seniors tournament (didn't win it) just like Efren played (and almost didn't win it - Davis beat him the first set) so it's not 100% that Ike would even knock the MOT off. In fact, I would bet on a couple of our members against him, especially in a short race, anyone can win! Plus, we don't really have any pros in the group or ones that participate at least. It would be nice to have more join and then join in on conversations and grow it from there. Maybe some are lurkers but they don't want to take the plunge and announce themselves publicly until some other pros are already doing it. This could be the beginning.

On the flip side I can see how some are upset and feel like it is unfair to have Ike play. It sure would look better if he had been participating in some discussions up to this point but maybe he will now that he has his correct login info, who knows.

I think in the end participation is #1 and the player's skill level or pro status shouldn't matter. Heck, we have some members who play pretty sporty, so where is the cut off on being allowed to enter? Someone who plays a ball better than our average member? 2 balls? 3? 10? I think if the member is participating on the forums, they are paying their dues no matter how well they play the game. That being said, it's a tough situation with Ike and Steve is somewhat between a rock and hard place.

For me, the choice is easy, I want all the pros to enter because not only would I have chance to play them but also a chance to BEAT them! Now, if I was going to the MOT as part of my income and I needed the tourney winnings to put food on the table, I would feel differently, but to me the MOTs are all about connecting with friends and enjoying the game we all love together.

No offense to anyone, just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I can see both sides and although I am not attending this event, here are a few of my thoughts.

We have always tried to recruit "pros" to join our group. It will make us all better players. We can learn things from them through WWYD posts and/or in person at member events. As Steve mentioned, Ike played in the Seniors tournament (didn't win it) just like Efren played (and didn't win it) so it's not 100% that Ike would even knock the MOT off. In fact, I would bet on a couple of our members against him, especially in a short race, anyone can win! Plus, we don't really have any pros in the group or ones that participate at least. It would be nice to have more join and then join in on conversations and grow it from there. Maybe some are lurkers but they don't want to take the plunge and announce themselves publicly until some other pros are already doing it. This could be the beginning.

On the flip side I can see how some are upset and feel like it is unfair to have Ike play. It sure would look better if he had been participating in some discussions up to this point but maybe he will now that he has his correct login info, who knows.

I think in the end participation is #1 and the player's skill level or pro status shouldn't matter. Heck, we have some members who play pretty sporty, so where is the cut off on being allowed to enter? Someone who plays a ball better than our average member? 2 balls? 3? 10? I think if the member is participating on the forums, they are paying their dues no matter how well they play the game. That being said, it's a tough situation with Ike and Steve is somewhat between a rock and hard place.

For me, the choice is easy, I want all the pros to enter because not only would I have chance to play them but also a chance to BEAT them! Now, if I was going to the MOT as part of my income and I needed the tourney winnings to put food on the table, I would feel differently, but to me the MOTs are all about connecting with friends and enjoying the game we all love together.

It wouldn't be so awkward if it weren't for the last time we heard from him. The last time we heard from him was when he tried to enter one of our MOT's the same exact way before. Crickets in between which speaks volumes to me.
Allowing the last minute entry of a known player who doesn't participate in the forums reflects poorly on us as a group as well to the room that is sponsoring us with added money.
This isn't the DCC where we are spending our money to play the pros, its a members meet-up. If that includes Dr. Bill, JB etc I am more than excited to play with them. They have contributed volumes here and went out of their way to help everybody and cultivate friendships.

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
It wouldn't be so awkward if it weren't for the last time we heard from him. The last time we heard from him was when he tried to enter one of our MOT's the same exact way before. Crickets in between which speaks volumes to me.
Allowing the last minute entry of a known player who doesn't participate in the forums reflects poorly on us as a group as well to the room that is sponsoring us with added money.
This isn't the DCC where we are spending our money to play the pros, its a members meet-up. If that includes Dr. Bill, JB etc I am more than excited to play with them. They have contributed volumes here and went out of their way to help everybody and cultivate friendships.
Started a post similar. No need now

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I had forgotten about that, good point bro.

And we are saying the same thing really. Participation is everything. The same should apply to a brand new player taking up one pocket as it would to someone like Alex or Dennis. Shoot, I recall legendary "Tall Jeff" knocking off our first MOT, so skill level should not dictate eligibility IMO.

chicagomike

Verified Member

We have always tried to recruit "pros" to join our group. It will make us all better players. We can learn things from them through WWYD posts and/or in person at member events. As Steve mentioned, Ike played in the Seniors tournament (didn't win it) just like Efren played (and almost didn't win it - Davis beat him the first set) so it's not 100% that Ike would even knock the MOT off. In fact, I would bet on a couple of our members against him, especially in a short race, anyone can win! Plus, we don't really have any pros in the group or ones that participate at least. It would be nice to have more join and then join in on conversations and grow it from there. Maybe some are lurkers but they don't want to take the plunge and announce themselves publicly until some other pros are already doing it. This could be the beginning.

I totally agree with you…for me it’s not the fact that he is a professional player. I would welcome any player to play as long as they were a contributing member to the site. I just feel like this was more of a “move” than a real interest in getting to know the members and be a genuine and active member.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Well said and agree John.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I had forgotten about that, good point bro.

And we are saying the same thing really. Participation is everything. The same should apply to a brand new player taking up one pocket as it would to someone like Alex or Dennis. Shoot, I recall legendary "Tall Jeff" knocking off our first MOT, so skill level should not dictate eligibility IMO.
And he also brought Sniper with him who still has a only one post here. He got second..
Snipers single post was to promise he would participate in the forums if we allowed him to play...😆
Lesson learned?

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
A few people mentioned that Ike did play in the Seniors tournament, that tournament is not a MOT and is run by Bogies.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
And he also brought Sniper with him who still has a only one post here. He got second..
Snipers single post was to promise he would participate in the forums if we allowed him to play...😆
Lesson learned?
Tall Jeff was an active member after that tournament.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Maybe something we need to think about is getting MOT eligibility requirements in stone so there is never a dispute like this in the future. We can always just refer back to "here are the requirements". you either meet them or you don't. Currently, here is the page that spells it out and it's very vague so we need to work on that.

And as much as I like having new members join us, maybe we need to make the eligibility a bit more rigid. For example. one can't play in a MOT until they have been a member on the board with 6 months of active posting. Maybe that means at least 1 post a week or more, or less, whatever the group feels is reasonable. If we use post count alone, then anyone can come in the week before the tournament and post like 20 times per day for 5 days and they have 100 posts and would "qualify". But I think we need to have some sort of longevity clause in there so that their posts are spread out over months to prove they are actually contributing to the site and not just inflating their post count to hit the number they need.

Thoughts?

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
Mike, I wish that I could give you some action. Sorry to say I cannot play. I have been in hospital for 9 days.

Jim, Paula was really looking forward to running around with Kathy. I waited till last minute because I really hate to miss MOT.

Dustin, add my entry to prize fund.
Wow! Rodert you’ll do anything to get out of coming to my seminar.
seriously though hope you’re ok and get well soon Buddy
We will miss y’all~T

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Lesson learned?
Duh, why do you think He's known as, 'Sniper'? Take 1 shot at everything! I believe he got the nickname in Detroit.