Matching-up choice

OldSchool

Verified Member
This matching up discussion came up today between two guys, so let me get some opinions from you guys > Which do you think is a bigger spot, and which would you rather give up to a player who plays approx. 1-1/2 balls under you - 10-8/9-8 or all the breaks?

Old School

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I'd rather give up all the breaks if they alternate pockets. It would depend on the table if they wanted to break to the same pocket all the time.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
I'd rather give up all the breaks if they alternate pockets.
Yeah - you're probably a monster playing off the break but, for someone like me, giving up the breaks might tilt to the opposite end of that scenario.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
This matching up discussion came up today between two guys, so let me get some opinions from you guys > Which do you think is a bigger spot, and which would you rather give up to a player who plays approx. 1-1/2 balls under you - 10-8/9-8 or all the breaks?

Old School
Give up the breaks. Probably only win 55% of the breaks so I’d rather take my chances on that

OldSchool

Verified Member
Yeah, I would also choose to give up the breaks. Interesting thing is, that between the two guys who were matching up, the guy receiving the spot wanted the breaks (alternating pockets) instead of the 10-8/9-8.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I was playing a guy years ago getting 9-7 (I had the best of it 😉) after he determined he couldn't win, he asked if I would adjust and play him 8-7 and I get all the breaks. I think I peed a little I was so excited to accept his proposal. 😂🤣😂

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
I think a big factor in making the choice is how good does this guy break? Your a better player than him obviously, if he has a strong break no way am I going to put myself under the gun every game. The break is big and I don't want to have to fade it every game. K

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I think a big factor in making the choice is how good does this guy break? Your a better player than him obviously, if he has a strong break no way am I going to put myself under the gun every game. The break is big and I don't want to have to fade it every game. K
Traditionally OP was compared to tennis, if you had the break and even up against your opponent you were expected to win. In other words the break was a big advantage. I also like the idea of the other guy having to carry the burden of my break every other game.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
freddy the beard said he would rather give ball spots than all the breaks because
paraphrasing
he did not want the pressure of starting on defense every game
it would wear on him over time

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
since old school /12squared /and sheldon all agree the 10-8/9-8 is a bigger spot than the breaks
i have to defer to your experience and knowledge.
i would appreciate your comments on my analysis
with 10-8/9-8 you have to go to 9 on his break
so if he gets all the breaks you only have to go to 8...thats better
thats why thats a better spot to give up (ignoring the fact you have to get out of the break EVERY game )
on your break the 10-8 sort of has you playing him even and you are the better player so you should win even
here is how i come to that conclusion
the break is worth 1-2 balls (traditionally said)
so you are adding the 2 ball advantage of the break to the normal 8 you would need playing even
i would love to read your opinions on my analysis
exposing the flaws in my thinking will be very helpfull to me

1 HOLE NUT

Verified Member
From
Biloxi, Ms.
freddy the beard said he would rather give ball spots than all the breaks because
paraphrasing
he did not want the pressure of starting on defense every game
it would wear on him over time
I feel the same way he does, if a guy gets the break down its feels like a bigger spot also.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I would personally rather give someone 10/8 9/8 than all of the breaks, unless of course my opponent cant break at all and sells out and scratches a lot, then sure, they can have the breaks :)

But most of the time yes I would rather give up the balls.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Experienced players, that know the value and are willing to take intentionals, can mitigate the opponents break advantage and even put him in a stressful position sometimes with a well placed CB. :)

lfigueroa

Verified Member

Old School

After awhile, the guy is going to get pretty good at laying the break down.

Lou Figueroa

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
since old school /12squared /and sheldon all agree the 10-8/9-8 is a bigger spot than the breaks
i have to defer to your experience and knowledge.
i would appreciate your comments on my analysis
with 10-8/9-8 you have to go to 9 on his break
so if he gets all the breaks you only have to go to 8...thats better
thats why thats a better spot to give up (ignoring the fact you have to get out of the break EVERY game )
on your break the 10-8 sort of has you playing him even and you are the better player so you should win even
here is how i come to that conclusion
the break is worth 1-2 balls (traditionally said)
so you are adding the 2 ball advantage of the break to the normal 8 you would need playing even
i would love to read your opinions on my analysis
exposing the flaws in my thinking will be very helpfull to me
No flaw Larry on your thinking! You expressed the difference perfectly.

beatle

Verified Member
so that everyone is on the same page here. the break is worth 1 or 2 balls to the person breaking.

but it switches every game so when you spot someone the break you are now only giving him a spot of one or two balls half the time. as he had that spot half the time already.

so if you are 1 1/2 balls better than some one and you give him the breaks, you are spotting him 3/4 of a ball.

and if you believe in the starting on offense or defense matters, that is already included in the worth of a break. so it doesnt matter, unless you are the type of player that pressure or intangibles affect your game adversely.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
so that everyone is on the same page here. the break is worth 1 or 2 balls to the person breaking.

but it switches every game so when you spot someone the break you are now only giving him a spot of one or two balls half the time. as he had that spot half the time already.

so if you are 1 1/2 balls better than some one and you give him the breaks, you are spotting him 3/4 of a ball.

and if you believe in the starting on offense or defense matters, that is already included in the worth of a break. so it doesnt matter, unless you are the type of player that pressure or intangibles affect your game adversely.
Sometimes the break is a disadvantage, sometimes it's the whole game. I agree it's about 1 & 1/2 ball spot in the long run.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

So which would you rather spot Beatle? I agree on about 1.5 ball spot on average too...it sounds like you are saying given up the ball spot is twice the amount as the breaks.