Ghost vs. Gil 1. - end game

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
My shot....my pocket is at the top right....score is 6-6......the 11 and the 1 are both froze to the cushions......can't cross the left side of the 10 cuz of the kiss, and the common shot of 2-railing the 10 out of the corner is also laying at a kiss angle - I might barely manage to avoid the kiss, but it's very dicey.....offensively, I can bank the 10 cross corner or 2-rail the 11 at my pocket < it's not laying dead ahead to make it, I would have to cut it slightly.....the problem with these offensive choices is that Filipino-Gil is a very strong player (690 Fargo) and he will not miss the cut on the frozen 1ball, even if I leave him on, or almost on, the head rail......so, wwyd? >>>

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
shoot the 1 straight ahead with some RHE, CB goes down to foot rail and 1 banks long rail short rail my long rail and up high enough to not sell out a cross corner and have one on my side.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
shoot the 1 straight ahead with some RHE, CB goes down to foot rail and 1 banks long rail short rail my long rail and up high enough to not sell out a cross corner and have one on my side.

That would be an obvious/simple shot option - if it had been available....forgot to say: can't shoot the 1 straight ahead cuz the angle has the 1 going straight into the 10ball.

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I am going to cut the 11 and run the cue ball two rails to the foot rail half a diamond from my hole trying to leave the 11 around the first diamond below the corner it is near but off the rail to clog up banking lanes and make the three rialer tough and off angle

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
I'd choose one or the other of these two shots depending on how it felt looking them over at the table. Either:

1. Using right hand english, cut the 1 down the rail to miss the corner pocket by a couple three inches and then back out towards the 10 ball whilst the cue ball goes across to the other long rail and settles somewhere near the middle of the short rail; or

2. Juice up the cue ball with a lot of low left and bank the 10 towards the corner pocket nearest to where the cue ball is now...should be able to drift the cue ball down to the middle of the short rail. The biggest risk will be leaving a return bank on the 10.

baby huey

Verified Member
Back cut the eleven ball thin towards center table and let the cueball go short rail, long rail and towards the long rail below where the one ball rests.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Good one ghost. I think I would punch the 10 with low left into the short rail just to the right of your pocket. Should be able to avoid the kiss and send the 10 uptable finishing towards my side. Challenge is not hitting it so hard that it comes back to this side of the table. I’m not worried about leaving the bank on the 13 since it’s frozen. I believe that’s what I would do.

by the way what was the score? 6-6 was my guess. Not that it makes a real difference here. Just curious :)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Good one ghost. I think I would punch the 10 with low left into the short rail just to the right of your pocket. Should be able to avoid the kiss and send the 10 uptable finishing towards my side. Challenge is not hitting it so hard that it comes back to this side of the table. I’m not worried about leaving the bank on the 13 since it’s frozen. I believe that’s what I would do.

by the way what was the score? 6-6 was my guess. Not that it makes a real difference here. Just curious :)

Mitch....that's one of the shots that I considered shooting, but didn't for two reasons: #1, the margin of error on the hit was very small, plus with using inside english, it was too touchy of a shot for me to be sure that I would execute it successfully...and #2, if I did hit it correctly, I didn't like the possibility that the 10 would 2-rail into the 11, thus leaving some kind of bank.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Not sure about the speed working, but if I thought I could make it work, I would go rail first in front of the 1 ball
using heavy right spin to eliminate some of the speed of both the 1 ball and the cb, catch about 1/3 of the 1 ball
banking it softly towards the 10 ball and sliding the cb across to about the first diamond on my long rail…
Touchy shot Ghost, but I’m sure you can pull it off…

Lucky_one2

Verified Member
From
Chicago...Now Ponte Vedra FL
I am striking the 1 (fuller with RHE) and floating the cue ball towards the foot rail. So what if the 1 runs into the 10...maybe I get lucky? Wait I am lucky :unsure:

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
If I am Ghost, I am liking where the 11 ball is for it favors me for an eventual 2 rail or one rail bank towards my hole. So I am leaving it alone.

My shot is to hit the 1 nearly full w/ using hi w/ a tad of left english. The cue ball goes down the long rail below the 10, and if I play it harder it will go to the foot rail. The 9 ball goes 3 rails to the upper left hand long rail, and clogs up the banking lanes, leaving no offensive shot.

Also If I hit the 9 ball a little more in the face, the 9 will then come off of the back side of the 10 sending it towards the 3 diamond on my long rail, while the 9 ball banks off of the foot rail towards the side pocket. The cue follows down. On a diamond it might shorten up and hit the 10 to full, so it is tricky.
thanks for the wwyd!
Whitey

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Mitch....that's one of the shots that I considered shooting, but didn't for two reasons: #1, the margin of error on the hit was very small, plus with using inside english, it was too touchy of a shot for me to be sure that I would execute it successfully...and #2, if I did hit it correctly, I didn't like the possibility that the 10 would 2-rail into the 11, thus leaving some kind of bank.
Accidentally two railing into the 11 is a great point, which I hadn’t considered. It does look extremely possible and could have been bad. Thanks buddy.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
One of the things to like about where Ghost is stuck here, is that the cue ball is well off any rails or balls so it can be cued freely and comfortably, almost like BIH. In that regard, Gil has done the Ghost a little favor :)

Unless the table is playing short, I'm banking the 1-ball two rails toward the general area of the side pocket on my side, dropping the cue ball down towards the bottom rail. RHE gets me there even with the little cut to the right necessary to have the 1-ball miss the 10-ball.

If the table is banking short, then I might beat the kiss stiffening up the bank on the 10-ball with LHE straight back up along my opponent's side of the table, like Mitch suggested. Or possibly barely cut the 10-ball LHE so it banks into the 1-ball directly -- but that has a haphazard aspect that could work out really well orit could leave a couple of banks!

2024-02-21_8-15-45.jpg
I am striking the 1 (fuller with LHE) and floating the cue ball towards the foot rail. So what if the 1 runs into the 10...maybe I get lucky? Wait I am lucky :unsure:
Yes, but RHE is what you need to get to the foot rail brother. But no, you don't want to run into the 10! That is asking for too much luck.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I also like 1 rail cross corner bank on the 10. Using hi or above center on the cb lets the cb come back to the head rail and then up by your side pocket or more, leaving a very tough cut on the 1, and to risky to double bank to his hole because of your 10 ball. The 10 can be played to hit the foot rail just before the pocket of it can be played to make it.
The cb and 10 end up on the same long rail side, so no danger of leaving a cross corner bank.

Either way the opponent's next shot is to take your 10 ball out, unless you make it.
Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
One of the things to like about where Ghost is stuck here, is that the cue ball is well off any rails or balls so it can be cued freely and comfortably, almost like BIH. In that regard, Gil has done the Ghost a little favor :)

Unless the table is playing short, I'm banking the 1-ball two rails toward the general area of the side pocket on my side, dropping the cue ball down towards the bottom rail. RHE gets me there even with the little cut to the right necessary to have the 1-ball miss the 10-ball.

If the table is banking short, then I might beat the kiss stiffening up the bank on the 10-ball with LHE straight back up along my opponent's side of the table, like Mitch suggested. Or possibly barely cut the 10-ball LHE so it banks into the 1-ball directly -- but that has a haphazard aspect that could work out really well orit could leave a couple of banks!

View attachment 442653

Yes, but RHE is what you need to get to the foot rail brother. But no, you don't want to run into the 10! That is asking for too much luck.
I would not play that so the cb goes past the 10 that far, as it might leave in a straight bank. I'd play it so the cb ends up in a line between the 10 and the opponent's scoring hole. You might get a block on your 1 ball with the 10. Not sure RHE will be able to accomplish this. Straight hi or a little LHE.
Whitey

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
hit the 11 alittle thick so it goes from the head rail to the side rail and over to your side
play the cue ball between the 1 and 10
here is the idea and a result (not first try)
TO BE CLEAR MY POCKET /HIS POCKET IS ON THE END OF THE TABLE WHERE THE CUE BALL ENDED UP
ghost today.pngghost today result 1.jpgghost today result 2.jpg

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
hit the 11 alittle thick so it goes from the head rail to the side rail and over to your side
play the cue ball between the 1 and 10
here is the idea and a result (not first try)
View attachment 442654View attachment 442655View attachment 442656
larry that looks way too tough for me -- such a narrow margin of error between those two balls, plus your opponent's pocket smack in the middle like a sand trap on a golf drive. Not for me brother!

• Wow
Reactions: lll