Ghost vs. Gil 1. - end game

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.

I put this up to demonstrate the effects of LHE, when using some force. The problem with the cb using this technique is that it can scratch.
Although not necessarily the way I would hit it. I'd rather go 3 rails with the 1 to the center of the table w/ the cb park below the 10 protecting the 1 ball. A touchy speed control for both the cb and 1 ball.
The one factor I like about this shot is that the 1 ball was such a huge scoring threat, and now that is removed. It turned out pretty good, for just wanting to show the effects of the cb. But there is still the possibility of back banking the 10 ball, that is why I would leave the cb closer to the 10 creating a non-bankable 10 ball.
Whitey

Last edited:
Reactions: lll

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Back cut the 10 ball with max outside English and leave it around your side pocket. Let him swing from there.
Nice if it's available, but it seems like with the thinness of the cut, how can you hold the cue ball down near the bottom rail? A variation of this might work -- cut it not quite as much (to insure the cue ball can stay low, but not scratch lol) and up to the far end of the table and back down by the side pocket with the 10 ball.But touchy staying low with the cue ball and avoiding the scratch in your own pocket.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

I put this up to demonstrate the effects of LHE, when using some force. The problem with the cb using this technique is that it can scratch.
Although not necessarily the way I would hit it. I'd rather go 3 rails with the 1 to the center of the table w/ the cb park below the 10 protecting the 1 ball. A touchy speed control for both the cb and 1 ball.
The one factor I like about this shot is that the 1 ball was such a huge scoring threat, and now that is removed. It turned out pretty good, for just wanting to show the effects of the cb. But there is still the possibility of back banking the 10 ball, that is why I would leave the cb closer to the 10 creating a non-bankable 10 ball.
Whitey
Nice, Dennis! Yes, basically a four rail shot, sticking the cue ball there (pounding it forward a bit to get it below the 10) Especially on a short banking table you could get good results with this, I would think.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Maybe thinly bank the 11 to opponent's rail and run the cue ball down by my pocket.
Thanks for joining in, I very much hope you continue. For me, this is how I have learned so much about the game. Taking these different scenarios to the table and working on them. Often times there is a scenario that matches the knowledge of a master and they lets us in on their hard learned knowledge, and wow it is quite a shot.
Welcome,
Whitey

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Back cut the 10 ball with max outside English and leave it around your side pocket. Let him swing from there.
This was the first shot I thought would work KY, then I realized that unless I got the 10 perfectly placed by the side pocket,
I’d be giving Gil a free two railer to win the game… I like where the 11 is, its only a threat if I leave the the cb above
his side pocket along his long rail, and I don’t hate where the 10 is either, kinda neutral, so that leaves doing something with
the 1 ball, and that depends on ones comfort level and execution ability… For $20.00 a game, I’d try my shot, lol, but for $100.00
I’d probably cut the 11 in and bring the cb back up table near my pocket, like someone else has suggested…

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.

The cross corner bank on the 10 is fraught with danger as Ghost points out. Hit is thick and you leave the 1 ball, hit it thin you leave a 10 ball return bank.

I'd have to say; " with all of our shot selections we have the opportunity at no end to figure out a shot". For me, when I looked at this scenario I was completely lost. Whereas the players have to do this real time! Lots of kudos to them!
Whitey

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Whitey
whitey
i like how you used the force follow "high karate" as danny d would say and left english
i dont think of that from this position
got to put it into the memory bank

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
whitey
i like how you used the force follow "high karate" as danny d would say and left english
i dont think of that from this position
got to put it into the memory bank
Thanks! Even though the cb is going into it at an angle, plus you are slightly cutting it, the cb is going forward and the LHE makes it hug the rail.
I know it does not look possible, but I guess that is what videos are for.

Larry, I am very impressed with your 11 ball shot selection! That takes some balls, Steve pointed this out. For me, your shot and Crabcatjohn's is cautiously hard for me, because the the cb can act funny coming off of the rail. John's shot is harder for me, because the cb changes directions, very hard for me to control the cb, John did it well.
Your cb control was phenomenal, w/ cb landing perfect!
Whitey

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Thanks, I like your left English shot. If I would have known that shot its the one I would have chose. I'll file that one away. As for my shot, It's a shot I play all the time so I'm comfortable with it.
Normally I wouldn't even move the 11 here but It was a last resort shot i'm comfortable with.
Very difficult position Ghost was in and great WWYD. Thanks Ghosty

Kybanks

Verified Member
This was the first shot I thought would work KY, then I realized that unless I got the 10 perfectly placed by the side pocket,
I’d be giving Gil a free two railer to win the game… I like where the 11 is, its only a threat if I leave the the cb above
his side pocket along his long rail, and I don’t hate where the 10 is either, kinda neutral, so that leaves doing something with
the 1 ball, and that depends on ones comfort level and execution ability… For $20.00 a game, I’d try my shot, lol, but for $100.00
I’d probably cut the 11 in and bring the cb back up table near my pocket, like someone else has suggested…

I looked at force following through the 1 ball and sending it 4 rails but the CB was problematic. I really don't want to move the 11 ball. The 10 ball was my last choice.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
One of the things to like about where Ghost is stuck here, is that the cue ball is well off any rails or balls so it can be cued freely and comfortably, almost like BIH. In that regard, Gil has done the Ghost a little favor :)

Unless the table is playing short, I'm banking the 1-ball two rails toward the general area of the side pocket on my side, dropping the cue ball down towards the bottom rail. RHE gets me there even with the little cut to the right necessary to have the 1-ball miss the 10-ball.

If the table is banking short, then I might beat the kiss stiffening up the bank on the 10-ball with LHE straight back up along my opponent's side of the table, like Mitch suggested. Or possibly barely cut the 10-ball LHE so it banks into the 1-ball directly -- but that has a haphazard aspect that could work out really well orit could leave a couple of banks!

View attachment 442653

Yes, but RHE is what you need to get to the foot rail brother. But no, you don't want to run into the 10! That is asking for too much luck.

Steve, I don't know if you, Whitey, etc. read my post #4 - if you didn't, please do....I've been playing 3cushion for 58 years, and One Pocket for 56 years....during that time, playing in both of those games, I've force-followed my cueball thru a ball frozen to the rail a zillion times....that said, the angle at which the 1ball and10ball were lying did not allow for yours or Whitey's shots to be possible - you would need a 1/2 ball hit on the 1 to have it miss the 10, and doing that you cannot force-follow your cueball thru the 1 to the foot rail - not even if Mike Massey or Florian/Venom could do that, lol.

p.s. You guys should know by now 🧐 I never put up wwyd's where there is one obvious, simple. best choice to easily choose.

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks Ghost !
For me, it is somewhat hard to absolutely duplicate shots even if I have the balls located correctly, because there is so much more space to deal with on my table. This especially shows up when there is number of balls below the spot. In this case the 1 and 10 would be closer together on a 9 ft. in which one could suspect that this would cut off 3 railing the 1.

Great wwyd, I'll study it some more.
Whitey

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Steve, I don't know if you, Whitey, etc. read my post #4 - if you didn't, please do....I've been playing 3cushion for 58 years, and One Pocket for 56 years....during that time, playing in both of those games, I've force-followed my cueball thru a ball frozen to the rail a zillion times....that said, the angle at which the 1ball and10ball were lying did not allow for yours or Whitey's shots to be possible - you would need a 1/2 ball hit on the 1 to have it miss the 10, and doing that you cannot force-follow your cueball thru the 1 to the foot rail - not even if Mike Massey or Florian/Venom could do that, lol.

p.s. You guys should know by now 🧐 I never put up wwyd's where there is one obvious, simple. best choice to easily choose.
Absolutely — that’s why I also mentioned alternate shots. Before I posted I took it to my table, which has new cloth 😁 My alternate shots were geared to shorter playing cloth.

Thanks again Ghost!!!

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Nice if it's available, but it seems like with the thinness of the cut, how can you hold the cue ball down near the bottom rail? A variation of this might work -- cut it not quite as much (to insure the cue ball can stay low, but not scratch lol) and up to the far end of the table and back down by the side pocket with the 10 ball.But touchy staying low with the cue ball and avoiding the scratch in your own pocket.
This shot is just like a standard back cut bank shot to your hole where you kill the cue ball on the side rail and leave it on the short rail well short of the corner pocket.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Don't leave the 10 by the side pocket...hit it further down towards the corner pocket. You might leave a back cut bank but it won't be easy or free

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Since we are talking about force follow skills, I think Mike Massey would appreciate this one.
The About Face Bank!
The cb is completely going away from the foot rail and has to turn around and go back.
Enjoy, for those that have not seen this one.
Whitey

Last edited:
  • Love

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Don't leave the 10 by the side pocket...hit it further down towards the corner pocket. You might leave a back cut bank but it won't be easy or free

Yes that might be possible, but ky and I were thinking along the same lines….
Spinning the cb a lot and holding it close to the foot rail while thinly banking the
10 up near the side pocket…that didn’t prove out for me early on, as I saw the risk in
leaving a free two rail bank to win the game! I don’t like catching it thicker so you can move the 10 farther
down table because that brings the cross corner scratch into play… and really there arent many
good spots to move the 10 to that doesn’t carry some risk in giving up a free bank to win
the game…

poolboy79

Well-Known-Member
Two rail the 1 like you‘re trying to make it in the bottom right corner. Cue ball back and forth toward opponents pocket.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Two rail the 1 like you‘re trying to make it in the bottom right corner. Cue ball back and forth toward opponents pocket.
Yes, that is a good shot selection. You might find that the cb will stay more on your pocket side. You are thinking like I am, that it is important to deal with the 1 ball.
thanks, Whitey

Last edited: