$3,000 Added 6th Annual Seniors One Pocket Tournament July 1-4th, 2021

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Congratulations to Tom Wirth for a fine tournament. Hopefully 5th-6th covered expenses and then some. I'm guessing Tom doesn't get to play or compete that often, so to step up and take care of business in a tough field is impressive.
Yes congrats to Tom
he came from behind to beat James Davis Senior and put him on the losers side
gave Ike runnels a real battle then james davis sr got his revenge
he helped out in the booth and of course his commentating was well done and educational
👍

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Steve
your game win and overall play against efren and your commentating was superb
👍
Thanks lll I know you watch and listen to a lot of great commentary so that means something! I enjoyed doing it. I struggled a little with the technical side cuz Ray basically gave me about a 30 second lesson then he went out to eat or something lol. And if you ever look in his booth his set up is complicated — and he sets a high standard for smooth production!!

Reactions: lll

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Yes Doc. and Larry, I rarely play anymore and I'm certainly not mentally prepared for the strong field of players who participated in this senior's event. I seem to put a lot of pressure on myself to perform mostly because of the rarity of the situation. This is probably true for all but the pros and semi pros. Still, I greatly enjoyed the experience and to top both James Davis, the defending Champ, and John Palimore, who finished third last time, was very satisfying. That said, I wanted more, and did have chances in the fifth game against Ike but came up short. All the more credit to Ike who's concentration skills and dogged determination are as strong as any player I've ever seen.
I can't say it was a pleasure loosing to him, but it was indeed a pleasure having had the rare opportunity to best him in this event.

The report of my being down 3-0 against Mr. Davis is not correct. We split the first two game. He then won the next two and I managed to close it out winning the final three. The last being on his break. I was a bit fortunate in that I found a dead ball within the stack in that final game and that led the way to my victory. Well, almost. I did screw up on one shot in that final game which gave him a chance to win. I surrendered a cross corner bank at 7-4. Silly error. He made the bank and with two more in front of him he studied long deciding how he wanted to manage the final three balls and uncharacteristically bobbled the ball. His first miss of any shot other than a bank during the match. I then banked the final ball for the win. Whew!

The battle with John Palimore was played on table two at the back of the room. This is the tightest table used in the tournament 4 1/8" pockets. the others are 4 1/4 as I've been told. In any case it did play very tightly. The back door was open for a time as we began the match and that contributed to this. I"m not at all used to tables playing this tight and I felt the need to adjust my play somewhat and look to cinch certain shots which ordinarily I would have tried to do more with the cue ball. John I know, was forced to do the same. That led to a five plus hour long match. This might be something to consider when choosing locations for future tournaments.

Looser pockets equals quicker matches which results in the tournament finishing in a more reasonable length of time. Just a thought, not a recommendation. No need to come back with all the other factors which goes along with a change such as that. I fully understand the alternative point of view and don't disagree.

I know this is running long but I don't anticipate adding much more to my experience at this years senior event other than to say it was super to see so many friendly and supportive faces. I'm not going to list the names of these fine friends but you know I include all of you who attended. We are indeed family.

Thank you,

Tom

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Yes Dave and Larry, I rarely play anymore and I'm certainly not mentally prepared for the strong field of players who participated in this senior's event.
That's Doc and Larry. But I'm not offended..:)
Enjoyed your recap, bro. Going from 4-1/2" pockets to tighter ones must have been a challenge. I know it was for me during the several times I've played at Bogies. That table #2 is ree-dick!

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
That's Doc and Larry. But I'm not offended..:)
Enjoyed your recap, bro. Going from 4-1/2" pockets to tighter ones must have been a challenge. I know it was for me during the several times I've played at Bogies. That table #2 is ree-dick!
Whoops! Sorry about that Doc. I've edited my post and corrected the egregious error.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Tom you should be proud of the way you played,you put tremendous pressure on yourself and you showed everybody you're a great player. BRAVO

Reactions: lll

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Great job Tom. I glad I was able to toughen you up before the tournament🤣 Looking forward to playing you some more in two weeks😎

Steve and Nick get honorable mention and played very well themselves

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
[..] I seem to put a lot of pressure on myself to perform mostly because of the rarity of the situation. [..] That said, I wanted more, and did have chances in the fifth game against Ike but came up short. All the more credit to Ike who's concentration skills and dogged determination are as strong as any player I've ever seen. (emphasis added)
I can't say it was a pleasure loosing to him, but it was indeed a pleasure having had the rare opportunity to best him in this event.

[..] I found a dead ball within the stack in that final game and that led the way to my victory. Well, almost.[..]. He made the bank and with two more in front of him he studied long deciding how he wanted to manage the final three balls and uncharacteristically bobbled the ball. [..] I felt the need to adjust my play somewhat and look to cinch certain shots which ordinarily I would have tried to do more with the cue ball. John I know, was forced to do the same.[..]

Looser pockets equals quicker matches which results in the tournament finishing in a more reasonable length of time. Just a thought, not a recommendation. No need to come back with all the other factors which goes along with a change such as that. I fully understand the alternative point of view and don't disagree.

I know this is running long[..]

Thank you,

Tom
Tom,
That was a superb break-down of your experience at that event.
I loved that part 'found' a dead ball within the stack' like you were using a metal detector at the beach or something (what luck :)
You mention that "this is running long", but I would have been happy to read three more pages full of your extremely talented writing.
Thank you for taking the time to post this for us that did not attend.
Sincerely,
Brian Summers

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Also Jim McCary had a good showing. If it's the lad I'm thinking of, he used to post here frequently. Lives in Texas, has a real nice wife. I believe he played the Super Seniors' event a few years ago.

If a guy can win a couple of games in each match, that's good shooting with the current crowd...:cool:

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Also Jim McCrary had a good showing. If it's the lad I'm thinking of, he used to post here frequently. Lives in Texas, has a real nice wife. I believe he played the Super Seniors' event a few years ago.

If a guy can win a couple of games in each match, that's good shooting with the current crowd...:cool:
I forgot about Jim. I remember seeing him around before, I'll have to remember him and try and play him on a future trip to Texas.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I think I squeezed by Jim hill-hill. He plays smart and plays hard. I probably got lucky, literally 😀
Yes Steve that’s the jim Doc is talking about
he’s a really nice guy
I got to know him two years ago when I played my first seniors tournament

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
One more thing! With the high price and scarcity of rental cars (over $100/day for an economy car), John Smith and I did not rent one this year, but because of the generosity of fellow members chipping in with rides, we only had to Lyft I believe 3 times. That saved money and meant really good company as well -- thank you especially to TylerBob and Newkirk and whoever it was that gave John a ride and you two got lost on the way to the hotel!!!