Am I bad action?

1 HOLE NUT

Verified Member
From
Biloxi, Ms.
Last big tournament I went to was Buffalo's, and I matched up pretty good and came home winner which rarely happens. After getting Covid about a month ago and just being busy I finally was able to get out this weekend to a pretty big bar table tournament that they have monthly in Meridan Ms., 1st usually pays 20,000+/-. Sad thing is I aint even remotely interested in the bar tournament, i'm just going to find some 1 hole action. I'm in that funny space were the weaker guys are reluctant to play me, and I usually don't bet enough to make the stronger players want to bare down and fight for my crumbs. In New Orleans I was able to do both and book winners all week with only 1 exception being our buddy Mr. Jim "The Pilot" T. He played great all week against everyone he faced, except for Mr. Steve Booth.
With no one else wanting to play I asked "Lil D" Daniel Mcckenney to play we agreed on a spot of 10/7. Even though we only live an hour away from one another we haven't gambled that much, when he was a kid I tried to play him all the time but it never happened, then he started to get better and better, and I became a fan rooting for him as he was GETTING STAKED to take on great player after great player, eventually becoming a great player himself. I don't agree with his life style, but on the pool table he is one of the best to come out of Mississippi. When I play anyone my nerves is what beats me, and if your better than me i'm surprised the stick stays in my hands when i'm down on a ball. I try my best not to take a foul or scratch so I don't move 14 balls when spotting the ball. I was stiff with no stroke what so ever and could never get ahead of him, I held on for as long as I could, then he made a couple of good runs 2 games in a row so I quit 2 game down at $200 a game. On to the next night
When me and Lil D was trying to play Hennessy was playing cheap with a Friend and wouldn't give up the table for 2 hours, witch did not help my cause any because I was pretty tired on the tale end of our match. So the next night Hennessy was on the same table just hitting balls and he barks about playing the 12 ball ghost to which I replied "without ball in hand". He is another champion that is fun to watch, but acts like a ass. He has won this bar table tournament twice, and came close a few other times, started out around a 10 handicap, now playing as a 14. All the while playing slow on purpose, which is bad for players and viewers. Lil D is slow sometimes, but Hennessy gives him the 7 ball on being slow. I was thinking about all of this when Hennessy asked me to play while the Calcutta was going on. We agreed to play 11/7 $100 a game, but I told him that I was not going to play him while he was in the tournament and have to wait 1 1/2 for him to run 14 racks on the bar table, then come back take 3 shots then I have to wait 1 1/2 for him to run 14 more racks on the bar table. So I said I'll play until they call him for his 1st match and no matter what the ball count was that game was over "TO WHICH HE AGREED TO DO BECAUSE HE WAS STEALING". I know that is not a normal request, but I was not going to do it any other way. We played at least 2 hours because there was over 100 players in the tournament, and I was never down, I played good and got a few roles and I know that is the only way I was going to win that match. I had people wanting to side bet on him, he even asked to bet more after every game. This is where the topic comes from, i'm up $300, it is my brake and he wants to bet $200 so I said yes, I knew this would most likely be our last game, he goes over to the TD to get them to play him last in the 1st round, I don't know what the TD said so i'm just assuming we may play another, and it is going all his way this game I made my normal dog it mistakes, so did he or it would have been over, but he was still in control only needing 1 ball with me needing about 5, and they called his name 1st round 1st couple of matches, which was probably the TD way of getting him back for slowing up his tournament about 8 hours every month.
So after him bitching and whining for a bit he said "YOUR BAD ACTION ANYWAYS". My question is after hearing my side of this story and or you know me and have played me. Am I bad action?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
You know you are not bad action. While I admire Hennessy’s game, he can often be a pain and lives up to that reputation from time to time.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
So after him bitching and whining for a bit he said "YOUR BAD ACTION ANYWAYS". My question is after hearing my side of this story and or you know me and have played me. Am I bad action?

This is awesome!

If you had it recorded it would be something to treasure forever.

I would get a shirt made with Bad Action! printed on the front or one of those old aprons guys used to wear and have it printed on that…I’d put it on anytime 3 fingers was around.

Do not ever give him an inch the rest of your life.

Trust me, he’s going to try and play you all the time now.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Jason,

Nobody pleases everybody..............You are about the nicest pool player and person I have run into in a pool room. Those that don't see that or refer to you otherwise simply have ulterior motives. Go to the pool room with that in mind, ignore the bullshit and play and enjoy........... ;)

P.S. I need 9-7.....

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
if you win more than you lose your are indeed bad action, that is the money action. even though you may be a nice guy gambling is played to win the money.
i am extremely bad action to play with. i usually have a lock and rarely will lose any decent amount as to get a better game from that one elsewhere or next time. yet i still can get played wherever i go. the secret is to never ever play your best when gambling so you are always underrated. lose a little or win a lot.

This was a nice self knock. 😆

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
You're not bad action. He wanted to play in the tournament and play you at the same time. He was upset because he didn't win in the short interval before his match was called. Sour grapes on his part.
That’s what I was thinking — and it sounds like you could not have been clearer.

I play once or twice weeknights at my local pool club and everybody I play knows I don’t start a new game after 9:30 cuz I’m an old man and have work (yes, still!) in the morning. So one of the better players that I rarely win against, has got real pissy at me several times saying I “always quit winner”, when I happen to end up ahead of him when my witching hour comes around. No, I always quit winner or loser at that same time lol.

Like you were, I am clear w my opponents — mostly regulars anyway. He’s the only one with an issue. He and Hennesee should play :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
What makes anyone “bad action”?

A player is bad action for any other player who considers going into a match knowing they are not likely to reach the “hourly Rate” they have set for themselves. Just like a poker player does when choosing which game to sit into. A 2 / 5 no limit game may offer a higher hourly rate than a 5 / 10 game because the skill of the opposing players in the lower limit game may be playing very loosely and are considerably inferior to those 5 / 10 players. Solid players are able to calculate fairly accurately how much on average they should make per hour given the quality of the known competition.

The same is true in pool when one player knows the skill level of the opponent. The bet may not warrant the difficulty. So this player, Jason, feels your skills are too high for the size of the bet for him to make the hourly rate he sets for himself.

It’s as simple as that.

Tom

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
Bad action is someone who doesn't respect me or the game. Doesn't mean I wont play if I have no other options. I try to play for the love of the game, not how much money I can make per hour doing it. I've made some pretty good scores, but that's secondary. One of my favorite opponents wont even bet. :ROFLMAO: We play every bit as competitive as the people I play for $.