What to do what to do

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
This shot comes up all the time, in a thousand different instances, but it is the same shot every time, why do so many good players not even know what to do? Your pocket is top right and it is your shot.

1. You need 1
2. you need 2
3 you need all 3
ddb0d.png

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
If I can see the right side of the 1-ball (from the cue ball perspective), then I would cross it to my side and go down table with the cue ball.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
This shot comes up all the time, in a thousand different instances, but it is the same shot every time, why do so many good players not even know what to do? Your pocket is top right and it is your shot.

1. You need 1
2. you need 2
3 you need all 3
View attachment 440547
Bank the5ball, loose grip, 3:eek: clock English, aim straight ahead. CB stays for a bank on the1ball.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
This is a shot even B players can master. The bank is fine ,if it can go and you don't clip the 6 , but it isn't without a possibility of several different penalties, if you miss. I try to always hit rail first if possible, if you practice the shot 100 times you should never hit the one so thick you sell out by caroming it to the bottom rail. and if you play position just beyond the 6 you won't be leaving any return banks on the 5. If it sits funny for the rail first, you can play it directly off the ball,although it is a tougher shot imo.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
This is a shot even B players can master. The bank is fine ,if it can go and you don't clip the 6 , but it isn't without a possibility of several different penalties, if you miss. I try to always hit rail first if possible, if you practice the shot 100 times you should never hit the one so thick you sell out by caroming it to the bottom rail. and if you play position just beyond the 6 you won't be leaving any return banks on the 5. If it sits funny for the rail first, you can play it directly off the ball,although it is a tougher shot imo.
I'm not following what you are suggesting, sorry. Do you mean kick the off the head rail in between the rail and the 1 ball?

If so that's always a good shot.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'm not following what you are suggesting, sorry. Do you mean kick the off the head rail in between the rail and the 1 ball?

If so that's always a good shot.
I thought he was talking about banking the 5ball off the side rail, kissing the 1ball on the way out to roll to his pocket, while sliding the CB behind the 6ball. I think Jim T. suggested that shot as well.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I thought he was talking about banking the 5ball off the side rail, kissing the 1ball on the way out to roll to his pocket, while sliding the CB behind the 6ball. I think Jim T. suggested that shot as well.
Exactly,. it is so easy to clip a ball along the bottom rail banking,in situations like this, and when you do, it sells out a lot of the time, if not a complete sell out , you have lost control of the table and given your opponent an opportunity. The only thing I ever wanted to give my opponent, was a headache.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
5 into the bottom of the 1, directly or rail first, duck behind the 6 whether you need 1,2,or 3balls.
billy here it is diagramed
let me know if there needs to be a correction
thanks for the layout
i definitely need to practice the shot from this position to avoid hitting the carom too thick
billy jacket wwyd 1.png

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
All that said; well said and very practical, I think I would have to be there looking down at it to sway my worse demons and put aside the bank/bank-hold.
Thanks, Billy, for the fun.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
All that said; well said and very practical, I think I would have to be there looking down at it to sway my worse demons and put aside the bank/bank-hold.
Thanks, Billy, for the fun.
Just shoot it a couple of times, I think you will immediately become a fan.

Reactions: lll

jay helfert

Verified Member

1. You need 1
2. you need 2
3 you need all 3
View attachment 440547
Maybe I'm crazy but if I need only one ball I'm going to play very conservative and remove these balls from this end of the table, especially if I have no clear (and free) shot at my pocket. I will shoot directly at the six and stick the cue ball on the rail right there. I want to bank the six hard into the one and send them both somewhere up table. I'd rather do this than take any kind of risky shot. Patience is a virtue here.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Maybe I'm crazy but if I need only one ball I'm going to play very conservative and remove these balls from this end of the table, especially if I have no clear (and free) shot at my pocket. I will shoot directly at the six and stick the cue ball on the rail right there. I want to bank the six hard into the one and send them both somewhere up table. I'd rather do this than take any kind of risky shot. Patience is a virtue here.
These are pretty easy, game winning shots, but you must go shoot them until you understand them , before they are deadly. It doesn't take 1000 trys , 25 to 50 and any decent player will have the ball going at the hole almost every time . I am a huge advocate for moving balls out of play with a big lead, but I have also witnessed a lot of games be lost , because the guy with the lead, didn't send a ball at his hole, until it was in desperation.

Last edited:
Reactions: lll

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
These are pretty easy, game winning shots, but you must go shoot them until you understand them , before they are deadly. It doesn't take 1000 trys , 25 to 50 and any decent player will have the ball going at the hole almost every time . I am a huge advocate for moving balls out of play with a big lead, but I have also witnessed a lot of games be lost , because the guy with the lead, didn't send a ball at his hole, until it was in desperation.
This is an interesting wwyd, I think, as there do seem to be a couple decent options.
The more I look at it and read through thoughts on the setup, the more I like your shot.
It's not a shot I saw readily with the other possibilities seemingly available (yes, a weakness), but I know the shot you're promoting and glad you have showcased it here.

I've been getting around 6 hrs a week in playing at a friends converted garage (nice room) on a 9' Olhausen table.
I've been nailing most all my banks for weeks. But going to a Diamond is going to prove a real challenge I think.
(though I wonder that this Olhausen with Simonis 860 and (oops) 4.25 pockets plays more like those Diamonds than it does the GC's.

Point being; in a match on any other table, I'd go for your shot (kicking the 5 off the 1 keeping the cb.

Last edited:

Bigkat

Well-Known-Member

1. You need 1
2. you need 2
3 you need all 3
View attachment 440547
💡 I'm "spin banking" the five into my pocket. And not leaving a shot on the 6 or the one(I'm a good banker 😎)