The Original US Open 1Pocket Tournament in Kalamazoo, MI

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
The US Open 1P started out with a long poolroom run in Kalamazoo MI

Yeah Steve, at the Billiards Playground, from the early to the late 90's...a great setting (a big poolroom, with good food, and situated on a pretty country road outside of town, surrounded by greenery), a great tournament, and Matt the pool hall owner was jam-up with the $$$ - very generously adding between $5,000-$10,000 each year - I really miss that tournament...I was there every year, and I have the results from several of them...i.e. here's the $$$ winners from 1997 - about 90 players - paying out 16 places ----->

1. Jeremy Jones - $6,000
2. Jeff Carter - $3,250
3. Cliff Joiner - $2,250
4. Nick Varner - $1,500
5-6. Cookie monster - $1,150
5-6. Gary Spaeth - $1,150
7.-8. Leil Gay - $900
7.-8. Richie Richeson - $900
9.-12. Bruce 'Ghost' Perry - $600
9.-12. Gabe Owen - $600
9.-12. Mark Jarvis - $600
9.-12. Mike Lebron - $600
13.-16. Marco Marquez - $425
13.-16. Wade Crane - $425
13.-16. Mark Gregory - $425
13.-16. Jon Kucharo - $425

Last edited:

keoneyo

Verified Member
I was there in '96 when local boy Jayme Goodwin took it down. He had beat Jose Parica in the finals.
Dr Bill played a young Chris Gentile and beat him 4-2.
That was the year Accu-stats covered it. Grady and Billy did the commentary.
Gerry Slivka had a mean stroke. What ever happened to him?

The most Impressive thing I saw was Billy and Pat Fleming were shooting spot shots with super high english on the ball. The cue ball was whizzing through the air like electricity. I thought I'd never get a stroke like that.

I didnt know anyone. I landed in Chicago and took a train to Kalamazoo. I wanted to see some great onepocket. Cornbread was in the tournament as well as the Cookie Monster. I was in heaven. I came back to Chicago and met a beautiful Filipino girl who was about 4'11". It was sweet but I hightailed it out of town before It got serious.

Onepocket is the life.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
The Original US Open 1Pocket Tournament in Kalamazoo, MI

I was there in '96 when local boy Jayme Goodwin took it down. He had beat Jose Parica in the finals.

The most Impressive thing I saw was Billy and Pat Fleming were shooting spot shots with super high english on the ball. The cue ball was whizzing through the air like electricity. I thought I'd never get a stroke like that.

I didnt know anyone. I landed in Chicago and took a train to Kalamazoo. I wanted to see some great onepocket. Cornbread was in the tournament as well as the Cookie Monster. I was in heaven. I came back to Chicago and met a beautiful Filipino girl who was about 4'11". It was sweet but I hightailed it out of town before It got serious.

Onepocket is the life.

You are a natural storyteller Keone, and you're right. Onepocket IS the greatest!

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Here's another story from those U.S. Open tournaments...

It was the first or second year of the tournament - 1994 or 95...so on the Friday night, or Sat. night of the tournament, I forget...a skinny blond 16 yr. old kid comes in with his posse of about 4 guys...he doesn't play One Pocket at all but he lets it be known that he wants to match up for some $500 - $1,000 sets of 9ball with the top players, and guys in his posse flash some big bankroll - we were wondering who is this kid...

Well, sorry, I can't recall who he played or who won, cuz I was too focused on my own One Pocket action...but the kids name was.....Corey Duell

- Ghost

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Yeah Steve, at the Billiards Playground, from the early to the late 90's...a great setting (a big poolroom, with good food, and situated on a pretty country road outside of town, surrounded by greenery), a great tournament, and Matt the pool hall owner was jam-up with the $$$ - very generously adding between $5,000-$10,000 each year - I really miss that tournament...I was there every year, and I have the results from several of them...
I can see why you Chicago boys would like that locale. Kalamazoo is right in y'all's back yard!

~Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Onepocket is the life.
I was practicing one night in '96 at the poolroom in Eureka, CA-- which is the end of the line. Had some good local players, but we had to add pretty good dough to get good regional players to come to our tournaments.

All of a sudden this stranger appears, walks up to me and asks me if I want to play some $100 a game 9-ball (!). I look him over, and realize that it's Jayme Goodwin, who just won the U.S. Open 1P, and was also a champion 9-ball player. I'd just seen his picture on Accustats. Anyway I told him I didn't gamble. So he looked around then walked out the door.

I wondered what in the hell Goodwin was doing in Eureka, CA?! And why would he come on so strong out of the chute, which would chase away more action than it would attract?

Anyway, turns out that his brother (who I knew) lived in town, who didn't play pool, but who Jayme was in town visiting for a few days. But it was surreal having him walk into the room in such an out of the way town.

~Doc

keoneyo

Verified Member
I was practicing one night in '96 at the poolroom in Eureka, CA-- which is the end of the line. Had some good local players, but we had to add pretty good dough to get good regional players to come to our tournaments.

All of a sudden this stranger appears, walks up to me and asks me if I want to play some $100 a game 9-ball (!). I look him over, and realize that it's Jayme Goodwin, who just won the U.S. Open 1P, and was also a champion 9-ball player. I'd just seen his picture on Accustats. Anyway I told him I didn't gamble. So he looked around then walked out the door.

I wondered what in the hell Goodwin was doing in Eureka, CA?! And why would he come on so strong out of the chute, which would chase away more action than it would attract?

Anyway, turns out that his brother (who I knew) lived in town, who didn't play pool, but who Jayme was in town visiting for a few days. But it was surreal having him walk into the room in such an out of the way town.

~Doc

I heard he owned a place in Battle Creek. The home of corn flakes and Kellogs. I heard he would book a bet or two for you as well.
He had a lot of heart and would bet it up.
He had a posse of guys that were right out of a dime store novel

Jayme was real friendly but he hung out with this guy that must have tilted the scales at 400 lbs. Parica had to give him something like 11 to 4. It was the funniest thing Parica being so small and all.

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
"US Open One Pocket" in Kalamazoo was one of the best run tournaments I ever saw (Matt did a great job). You knew when you were playing...your NEXT match. No sitting around for HOURS and HOURS waiting to see "If" your playing.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I heard he owned a place in Battle Creek. The home of corn flakes and Kellogs. I heard he would book a bet or two for you as well.
He had a lot of heart and would bet it up.
He had a posse of guys that were right out of a dime store novel

Jayme was real friendly but he hung out with this guy that must have tilted the scales at 400 lbs. Parica had to give him something like 11 to 4. It was the funniest thing Parica being so small and all.

I used to stop in at Jayme's pool room whenever I was in town on business. It was closed for a while during reconstruction. The last time I was there Jayme was reeling from a recent 9-ball drubbing from none other than Jimmy Mataya. Jayme's backer was a real interesting guy who raised pit bulls to fight. Claimed he would post up $50 large for one of his dogs.

u12armresl

Verified Member
We've matched up with Jayme several times in MI, and IN.

Also went to the Kalamazoo tournament during the heyday years and my horse cashed every time, I not so much.

Here it was one pocket in races to 7, up there it was by the game.
Both times we came out ahead, and Jayme would shake his head on how someone could get such good short side shape. Called him lucky even when we'd run into him in another state.

"luckbox"

Back then it seemed that right before Jayme would get to town Scott Kitto would be there on a schedule.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Here's my US Open story from Kalamazoo, 2000, picking it up on the second day of the tournament.

#####
Saturday morning I headed over to the Playground and just tried to get my mind set before my match with, arguably, the greatest all around pool player of all time. When I got to the tournament room, the line was: you could bet either way, whether I'd get to one. I decided that that's what I'd shoot for: to take one game off Efren Reyes. I'd told AllenB, the night before, that I would really appreciate it if he could snap a photo of me lagging with Efren, to prove to future generations that this match had actually taken place.

Well, we were put on table two, right in front of the largest section of bleachers and they were packed. Everyone wanted to see Efren play. I was just along for the ride. I put down a good lag, but Efren put the ball within an inch of the rail. I looked at my watch. It was one o'clock.

The first game did not go well, for me. He broke the balls well, and I was under the gun the entire game. When he didn't have a shot, he'd gently spin the cue ball one or two rails and snuggle it up against a ball. I, and the crowd, laughed out loud at the positions he'd put me in. I lost the first game 8-0. It was while I was racking the balls to break (it was a rack your own tournament) that the dawning realization came upon me that it was quite possible that, not only could I lose the match 4-0, I could, conceivably: lose the match against a player of this caliber without scoring a single ball. Oh, the humiliation. What do you tell the guys back at the pool room? That you got a chance to play Efren Reyes and didn't score a single ball? My goal of winning one game seemed very, very far away.

I broke well the second game. Shortly after the break, he left me frozen on the side rail just above my pocket. I looked at the rack for a long time. There was an unfrozen three ball combination that just might go. But the only way to hit it right was to send the cue ball into a fourth ball and then have it carom into the third ball in the combination chain. I'd have to hit it at warp speed to get enough energy on the shot to get the last ball in the combination to the pocket. If it didn't go, I was toast, because the stack was going to explode.

IMO, one of the more beautiful shots in pool is when a cluster of balls is stuck hard and the object ball eventually emerges from the stack and slowly begins marching towards it's assigned pocket. Despite shooting with brio, the two ball virtually crawled towards it's destination with total mayhem all around it. As I watched the shot, it seemed as if all the other object balls, and the cue ball, were moving and every single one of them wanted to kiss out the two ball. But somehow it made it safe and sound to its destination. The ball dropped. The crowd burst into applause.

Still, the balls were spread too wide for me to get out. As the game progressed, we got to the point at which I needed two and Efren needed one. And then, something began to become apparent to me, and then to everyone in the stands, and eventually to Efren: Lou was banking well today. Real well. Well, actually, I started banking like god.

Efren kissed into a shot and sold out the last two balls. A modest cut shot with moderately difficult position on the out ball. I missed. All I could hear in the stands were muttered, "Well, he had a chance..." A few innings later, I missed a thin hit to play safe and had to spot a ball. Now I needed three. But then it happened. I banked three and out to take the second game. The monkey was off my back.

Efren took the next game. Twice he tied me up so bad that my only option was to kick three rails and then two rails for an intentional scratch. But I pulled both of them off. The crowd started applauding my shots and the increasingly ridiculous accuracy and consistency of my bank shots.

I took the fourth game 8-0 to tie it up at 2-2. The fifth game we went down to the last three balls, all down table on the side rail just below the side pocket on his side. I needed all three and went for the home run: a carom and combination bank that would send two towards my hole and the third up table to my side. The shot went kaablewwweee, and left Efren straight in. Nonetheless, my banks continued to go, as if on wires.

The last game was another battle, but he was just too strong. I lose 4-2. I looked at my watch, it was 3:30. I had just wrestled with Efren Reyes, in a race to four, for two and a half hours and taken two games off him. During the match Buddy Hall was playing on one side of us, Steve Cook on the other, and during the course of the match I got at least six rounds of applause from the crowd for my bank shots. There was not one round of applause for Hall, Cook, or Reyes. Buddy, in particular, kept looking over wondering what the hell was going on.

As I shook Efren's hand after the match, he said smiling in the high clipped accent he has, "Louis bank good. Miss straight in." That about summed it up.
#####

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

MattRosendaul

Verified Member
I can give you a little history about how this tournament came about:
In 1993, Ed Hall was still the owner of Billiards Playground in Kalamazoo Mi. I was his manager and best friend, and we drove out to the BCA Expo in Kansas City that year. In addition to some other goals for the show, we wanted to find a pro player to do an exhibition and maybe a workshop or two. We had hosted a few trick shot shows (Fast Eddie Parker and I think Tom Rossman), but we really wanted a player, not just a trick shooter.

As we worked the floor of the expo it became clear that most of them were out of our budget. Massey, Buddy Hall, the Miz, etc. all wanted thousands plus expenses. On a whim, being a one pocket player and a fan of Grady’s column in BD, I found “The Professor” at the Accu-Stats booth and started asking about doing an exhibition for us. He only wanted $300 and expenses! We hired him on the spot and booked a date a couple months out.
when he came to the room that fall, it was the best $300 we ever spent. Grady not only did a trick/fancy shot exhibition. but also ran 100 balls, took challenge matches, and did a ton of demonstrations and lessons that day. He was there from open to close and said he’d stick around a couple more days if we’d cover his room and meals which we gladly did. He stayed and played and taught for two more days. At some point in that visit, having discovered our local affection for one pocket, he said we should host a U.S, Open One Pocket tournament and he’d help promote it and get it running. He helped us for the first few years and then Ed and I did it all ourselves after the momentum was going.

That first year, 1994, we didn’t know what to expect. Every day we were getting checks in the mail and phone calls from LEGENDS, many of whom are in the One Pocket HOF, and even in the BCA HOF. Jack Cooney, Cornbread, Bugs, Varner, Vickery, Cookie Monster, Incardona, Freddy The Beard, Teddy the Greek, Lou Figueroa, John Lavin :) on and on.

Then we started getting calls from spectators who couldn’t find a hotel room. We had block reserved about 60 rooms at the nearest three motels and they were all full now. I started calling other hotels around town and three of them told me they had no rooms available. “Some huge pool tournament has every room in town booked up” they said. I looked at Ed and said, “I think we have a problem. Either someone else booked a tournament on top of ours or this thing is gonna be bigger than we can handle.”

We rushed around and rented two more sets of bleachers and ordered more T-shirts and hired some temporary helpers (Ed’s mom sold the tickets and managed the flow of spectators). Everything turned out better than we ever imagined, and we had created a tournament that people still talk about nearly 30 years later. We did have a visit from the fire Marshall about exceeding our building capacity and people parking In the fire lanes, but he was cool and just told us to clear the fire lane and have a good event.

I had bought the pool room and the tournament from Ed in 1997 when he moved to Lansing for another business opportunity. He still came down and helped run the tournaments each year, but I was on my own for the rest, and it was a lot of work. The seventh annual tournament, in 2000, would be our last year running it, and we had certainly outgrown the pool room as a venue. I worked with the convention and visitors bureau and the Radisson hotel downtown. The basement of the hotel that originally stood there was a legendary room back in the old days, even back in the late 1800s. The room was there for a long time, and I spoke with Jimmy Caras one time at the expo and he remembered playing exhibition matches there.

The event was a smashing success, especially since we had partnered with Diamond for the tables. It was a bit tough finding extra staff to work in two locations, especially since all our regular customers who I had deputized as employees in the past didn’t want to work but wanted to watch. We pulled it off again, but in all those seven years, we barely broke even each time. Without major cash sponsors and selling TV rights, it’s hard to make a dollar on a tournament over $1000 added. I was usually sweating bullets each day of the tournament counting the money coming in because I had personally laid out all the money ahead of time and hoped to earn it back.

Although it was a ton of work, I wouldn’t trade a minute of it for all the money you can stack.

Attachments

• C1009131-41FA-4A09-8456-9A911865ADAE.jpeg
    C1009131-41FA-4A09-8456-9A911865ADAE.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 10

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
I can give you a little history about how this tournament came about:
In 1993, Ed Hall was still the owner of Billiards Playground in Kalamazoo Mi. I was his manager and best friend, and we drove out to the BCA Expo in Kansas City that year. In addition to some other goals for the show, we wanted to find a pro player to do an exhibition and maybe a workshop or two. We had hosted a few trick shot shows (Fast Eddie Parker and I think Tom Rossman), but we really wanted a player, not just a trick shooter.

As we worked the floor of the expo it became clear that most of them were out of our budget. Massey, Buddy Hall, the Miz, etc. all wanted thousands plus expenses. On a whim, being a one pocket player and a fan of Grady’s column in BD, I found “The Professor” at the Accu-Stats booth and started asking about doing an exhibition for us. He only wanted $300 and expenses! We hired him on the spot and booked a date a couple months out.
when he came to the room that fall, it was the best $300 we ever spent. Grady not only did a trick/fancy shot exhibition. but also ran 100 balls, took challenge matches, and did a ton of demonstrations and lessons that day. He was there from open to close and said he’d stick around a couple more days if we’d cover his room and meals which we gladly did. He stayed and played and taught for two more days. At some point in that visit, having discovered our local affection for one pocket, he said we should host a U.S, Open One Pocket tournament and he’d help promote it and get it running. He helped us for the first few years and then Ed and I did it all ourselves after the momentum was going.

That first year, 1994, we didn’t know what to expect. Every day we were getting checks in the mail and phone calls from LEGENDS, many of whom are in the One Pocket HOF, and even in the BCA HOF. Jack Cooney, Cornbread, Bugs, Varner, Vickery, Cookie Monster, Incardona, Freddy The Beard, Teddy the Greek, Lou Figueroa, John Lavin :) on and on.

Then we started getting calls from spectators who couldn’t find a hotel room. We had block reserved about 60 rooms at the nearest three motels and they were all full now. I started calling other hotels around town and three of them told me they had no rooms available. “Some huge pool tournament has every room in town booked up” they said. I looked at Ed and said, “I think we have a problem. Either someone else booked a tournament on top of ours or this thing is gonna be bigger than we can handle.”

We rushed around and rented two more sets of bleachers and ordered more T-shirts and hired some temporary helpers (Ed’s mom sold the tickets and managed the flow of spectators). Everything turned out better than we ever imagined, and we had created a tournament that people still talk about nearly 30 years later. We did have a visit from the fire Marshall about exceeding our building capacity and people parking In the fire lanes, but he was cool and just told us to clear the fire lane and have a good event.

I had bought the pool room and the tournament from Ed in 1997 when he moved to Lansing for another business opportunity. He still came down and helped run the tournaments each year, but I was on my own for the rest, and it was a lot of work. The seventh annual tournament, in 2000, would be our last year running it, and we had certainly outgrown the pool room as a venue. I worked with the convention and visitors bureau and the Radisson hotel downtown. The basement of the hotel that originally stood there was a legendary room back in the old days, even back in the late 1800s. The room was there for a long time, and I spoke with Jimmy Caras one time at the expo and he remembered playing exhibition matches there.

The event was a smashing success, especially since we had partnered with Diamond for the tables. It was a bit tough finding extra staff to work in two locations, especially since all our regular customers who I had deputized as employees in the past didn’t want to work but wanted to watch. We pulled it off again, but in all those seven years, we barely broke even each time. Without major cash sponsors and selling TV rights, it’s hard to make a dollar on a tournament over $1000 added. I was usually sweating bullets each day of the tournament counting the money coming in because I had personally laid out all the money ahead of time and hoped to earn it back.

Although it was a ton of work, I wouldn’t trade a minute of it for all the money you can stack.
Hey Matt.

Hope things are well. It was a great week year after year. It’s a dam shame it ended.

I remember at the Hotel I scrambled and got a convention room and a big round table quick for a poker game that lasted a few days.

I wish when you called me about taking the tournament over and using the name I would have been able to do something but I just had too much on my plate at that time.

I’ve felt sick about it year after year seeing what happened to it since. It’s needed to be in the right pool room ever since as a stand alone event.

One of my best stories about Cornbread was at your tournament. We were getting ready to leave the Holiday Inn and head to the pool room.

Im waiting for Red to get ready and he’s taking forever like he’s some kind of a pimp.
He finally says “let’s go”.
I just sit there and again he says “cmon let’s go”.
I said “your shoes”.
He looks down and says “Ahhh ****”.

He had two different shoes on. 😆 If that wasn’t bad enough…one was a slip on and the other had laces. 🙄😂

Had some great memories there, thanks and be well.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Thanks for the story's. That was back at my 1P beginnings, and I also miss those tournaments. John Lavin would run a warmup tournament at the Playground prior to the US Open. Lots of good players showed up for that one, I had Cookie Monster dead nuts and made a rookie mistake and let him run a bunch of balls to win the hill-hill match. Great times

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
What a great story! Grady was a class act.

Just wonder if any subsequent years were recorded on camera too. It would be awesome to dig them up and convert to digital.

MattRosendaul

Verified Member
I remember one summer before the tournament, the phone in the pool room rang and voice on the other end said, “Hi Matt, this is Steve Mizerak. I’d like to come play in your tournament but I need you to make it worth my while.” He not only wanted me to cover all of his expenses and entry fee, but also $3500 when he shows up on the last day of the tournament because he also wanted me to seed him in the final 16! I almost asked him if our carpet was fine or if I should roll out a red one for him too.

I told him we would indeed like to have him come and play the tournament, but he would have to pay his way and his entry fee just like everyone else. If his one pocket game was strong enough he’d win enough to cover his expenses and his fee. Needless to say we never saw him.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thank you Matt and everyone else for the great stories! And extra thank you Matt for getting those tournaments going!! I missed them all, but surely would have thoroughly enjoyed them if I could have!!