Thanks for a Great Tournament...

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
It was a pleasure to finally meet and greet some of you guys who I knew by your screen name only. Sorry I didn't get to meet everyone. I had my hands full keeping up with Bubba, who some of you were gracious enough to spend some time with. He really was a great player starting from age 14 and has many stories to tell. Hopefully I can get him to join and tell a few. My buddy Joe Nelson in Mobile says he would have been another Buddy Hall if he would have stayed on course. He played many of the greats back in the late 60's and often came out a winner.
It was awesome to see some of the firepower and finesse still left in some of you guys that are considered over the hill. Congratulations to Jeff, James and Casey for their staying power. I'm almost 70 myself and can only imagine how worn out some of you were playing that long. I enjoyed meeting some of the younger guys as well...Cincy Kid, Mitch, Dustin and others. Cant remember all of the names.
Of course I have to thank LSJohn, Steve, GreyGhost and others who continue to help promote and give their time to this great game of One Pocket.
Thanks to Lacy's and others who help sponsor these events. And thanks to Tom Wirth, a great champion and others who donated prizes and their time.
You guys are awesome and still champions.
Hope to see you all again, maybe at Bill Rowsey's place out of Memphis.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
It was a pleasure to finally meet and greet some of you guys who I knew by your screen name only. Sorry I didn't get to meet everyone. I had my hands full keeping up with Bubba, who some of you were gracious enough to spend some time with. He really was a great player starting from age 14 and has many stories to tell. Hopefully I can get him to join and tell a few. My buddy Joe Nelson in Mobile says he would have been another Buddy Hall if he would have stayed on course. He played many of the greats back in the late 60's and often came out a winner.
It was awesome to see some of the firepower and finesse still left in some of you guys that are considered over the hill. Congratulations to Jeff, James and Casey for their staying power. I'm almost 70 myself and can only imagine how worn out some of you were playing that long. I enjoyed meeting some of the younger guys as well...Cincy Kid, Mitch, Dustin and others. Cant remember all of the names.
Of course I have to thank LSJohn, Steve, GreyGhost and others who continue to help promote and give their time to this great game of One Pocket.
Thanks to Lacy's and others who help sponsor these events. And thanks to Tom Wirth, a great champion and others who donated prizes and their time.

Good to see you again George. I really admire and appreciate the effort you have to put forth to give Bubba some chunks of life he loves but otherwise wouldn't get without you.

Two thumbs up, buddy.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

The pleasure was ours George.. You are doing great things with Bubba and they are being noted on the only scorecard that matters...keep up the good work... Hope to see you guys in Houston next month..

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
George-- It was great to see you, ole buddy. In fact I was surprised that we hadn't heard anything from you regarding the event. But Bama was well represented by Mobile Mike T. (sort of... :D).

Bubba Howard looked like he was having the time of his life: sitting, watching, b-s'ing with many of us. It was a wonderful thing that you picked him up in N.O. and brought him by so he could enjoy the activities.

See you soon,
~Doc

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Nice to meet you too and was also glad to meet William "Bubba" Howard. I had not heard of him before but after hearing of some of the guys he played (Dr. Bill, Jeff Sparks, Richie Abrose, and more...) and beat back in the day is pretty darn impressive...thanks for the introduction and see you next time George!

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
Thank you guys for all the replies. I talked to Bubba today and he was in a great mood. He has so much to say but rarely gets to let it out. But when he gets started he can be very entertaining and he has a wealth of pool knowledge.

Sorry I didn't enter the tournament this time. I've been dealing with Macular Degeneration in my right eye. It is very frustrating. It is not allowing me to see the pool shots with my dominant (right) eye so I am battling trying to get the damn left eye to cooperate and take charge. But the damn right eye keeps interfering and keeps trying to take over...UGH...!

Anyhow...I'm taking injections that seems to be helping. Hopefully by the next tournament I can give you guys a little competition.

Yes Doc, you are right, MobileMike took down our ole pal Billie in the tournament. He wasn't too happy about it either:D:D: But I heard they had a long grueling match. Hope everything goes well with your eye procedure this week Doc.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Thanks for a Great Tournament...

George!! It was so great to meet you, buddy. Thanks for sweating my matches and thanks even more for hitting some balls with me. It was an absolute pleasure and I am looking forward to hanging out again next time.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
George!! It was so great to meet you, buddy. Thanks for sweating my matches and thanks even more for hitting some balls with me. It was an absolute pleasure and I am looking forward to hanging out again next time.

The pleasure was all mine Mitch. You shoot a great game.

sniper

Verified Member
Just a few words about the tournament at Lacy"s Cue this past weekend.
I'd like to tell all the members who were there what a great time I had meeting all of you and sharing time together. This was a special treat for Sam ( my better half ) and myself because New Orleans was kind of my old stomping ground when I was younger.

Seeing old friends and making new ones wouldn't have happened if not for the gracious acceptance of this new member into the fold here at onepocket.org and I just want to say that although I have not been a contributor in the past, I am determined to participate more in the future.

I was able to spend quite a bit of time visiting with Joey A. Tom Wirth, Joe Long, Casey Killian and Mitch Brown, and wish I could have gotten around to more of you guys. We talked mostly pool and shared a couple of road stories from the past. It felt good to visit with knowledgeable pool people and talk about one pocket again.

I am going to start posting on some of the WWYD'S , Jeff tells me they are fun and several opinions are usually posted and sometimes arguments break out over the varied opinions.

Thank you all for letting me play in the 1st members tournament, and I cant wait for the next one.

Yours truly,
Sniper

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I'd like to tell all the members who were there what a great time I had meeting all of you and sharing time together. This was a special treat for Sam ( my better half ) and myself because New Orleans was kind of my old stomping ground when I was younger.

Seeing old friends and making new ones wouldn't have happened if not for the gracious acceptance of this new member into the fold here at onepocket.org and I just want to say that although I have not been a contributor in the past, I am determined to participate more in the future.

I was able to spend quite a bit of time visiting with Joey A. Tom Wirth, Joe Long, Casey Killian and Mitch Brown, and wish I could have gotten around to more of you guys. We talked mostly pool and shared a couple of road stories from the past. It felt good to visit with knowledgeable pool people and talk about one pocket again.

I am going to start posting on some of the WWYD'S , Jeff tells me they are fun and several opinions are usually posted and sometimes arguments break out over the varied opinions.

Thank you all for letting me play in the 1st members tournament, and I cant wait for the next one.

Yours truly,
Sniper

Good for you, nice post.
Say hello to Sam for me.
P.S You played well I heard, Hard to keep your stamina as we get older.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Yours truly,
Sniper

It will be interesting to see your insights on the WWYDs. Having you around will be great.

I was able to spend more time with Sam than with you, and she is a sweetheart. Lucky guy. (It was also fun to watch her live and die with the outcome of every one of your shots. She played as hard as you did! :) )

It was really gracious of you -- given the late hour and Jeff's obvious exhaustion -- to agree to one race to three in the final. That's class.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al

Yours truly,
Sniper

It was exciting to watch you work your magic James. The first complete match I watched was against Mitch when you were down 2/0 in games. That was one of the finest 8 and outs I've ever seen. I thought it was Efren shooting the way you finessed that cue ball around the table. The last 2 balls up table where you tickled the outside ball to break them apart to get a perfect angle and then complete your run was miraculous.

Thanks for taking the time to come over and talk with Bubba. He was in heaven being around you guys after having not picked up a cue stick for 42 years.

I'm looking forward to the next tournament.