Matching-up choice

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I also think one should consider how the game has changed.

Not so long ago I wrote how, way before, you could get away with making a few balls and ducking. Nowadays, given the chance, you better get a bunch or you're a dead duck.

So I believe the old adage of the break being worth a ball or two may no longer *strictly* apply.

Rather, it is much more of a floating line that depends on the skill level and strengths and weakness of the players involved in a very specific set of circumstances. It's probably always been that way but it's a more significant issue now, given the higher level of play. In some cases, maybe the break don't matter so much because the other guy lacks the skills to effectively get out of the break and turn it around and hurt you. Then it depends on how likely the guy is likely to goof up and how likely it is that you are able to grab a bunch. So in part, it's a factor of how well the players play.

Lou Figueroa

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
The standard Straight Pool break as I know it is strictly a defensive shot. I practiced that break a great deal 30 years ago.
The only way it could be considered offense is that you didn't give them the same solid rack to play on their first shot.
Many straight pool runs from the break start with some sort of, 'combination' found in the stack! With 15 balls and 6 pockets much can happen, it can certainly turn into a somewhat offensive break.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Many straight pool runs from the break start with some sort of, 'combination' found in the stack! With 15 balls and 6 pockets much can happen, it can certainly turn into a somewhat offensive break.

Really?

Six pockets?! -- after the break there are only two pockets that matter.

Lou Figueroa

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I'll take a 5%-15% edge every time I play!

The only player I ever knew who wasn't terribly concerned about giving up the break was, Artie. He got out of the break as good as any living human! That's why he let Jersey Red have all the breaks and he got 10/8. Artie was stealing! This was in 68 or 69.
....so you believe if you get all the breaks your advantage is from 5% to 15%, MAYBE......Meanwhile, your opponent is getting 10/8 or a 20% advantage, ALWAYS....and you like that?

...and you would rather give up 10/8, 9/8 which advantage ranges from 11.2% @ (9/8) to 20% @ (10/8) ALL the time, than give up the breaks which have a 1 ball (12.5% advantage) to 1.5 ball (18.75% advantage) some of the time, and only when you can't get out of your opponents break.

yea...that's the ticket...... :rolleyes:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I’ve seen Pro’s sell out breaks, scratch, and just not get good breaks. I’ll give up the breaks. I’ve seen AtLarge’s stats on a bunch of 1P matches. The winning percentage of the breaker is very small. I’d say much smaller than a 10/8, 9/8 ball spot.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
....so you believe if you get all the breaks your advantage is from 5% to 15%, MAYBE......Meanwhile, your opponent is getting 10/8 or a 20% advantage, ALWAYS....and you like that?

...and you would rather give up 10/8, 9/8 which advantage ranges from 11.2% @ (9/8) to 20% @ (10/8) ALL the time, than give up the breaks which have a 1 ball (12.5% advantage) to 1.5 ball (18.75% advantage) some of the time, and only when you can't get out of your opponents break.

yea...that's the ticket...... :rolleyes:
You're like a, 'Diamond system' 3C player, no imagination! Don't see the Big picture, they usually never get to the finish line! Firstly, the OP said, 10/8 and 9/8, so Your numbers are off! As with most players that don't really gamble, they find some weak form of logic to justify for not knowing.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I would like anyone to show me how they can manipulate the rack to make a ball or even improve the spread.

Lou Figueroa

Lou,

It's not only the possibility of manipulating the rack to either favor or disfavor getting balls in a better position near your whole, but also manipulating the rack to maybe lessen or increase the possibility of scratching depending on who's racking.. While it's true that each player has the perfect right to inspect the rack, most players today would prefer to solve the concern of a poor rack by racking their own. I believe the rerack rule came directly from this rack your own thing to counter any potential funny business, which most think is appropriate. If players didn't think there was the possibility for funny business they wouldn't have come up with the rerack rule.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I’ve seen Pro’s sell out breaks, scratch, and just not get good breaks. I’ll give up the breaks. I’ve seen AtLarge’s stats on a bunch of 1P matches. The winning percentage of the breaker is very small. I’d say much smaller than a 10/8, 9/8 ball spot.
I agree with you, Jim.:)

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Jim, according to your logic, a player you play even, can have all the breaks and give you 9/8?

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
You're like a, 'Diamond system' 3C player, no imagination! Don't see the Big picture, they usually never get to the finish line! Firstly, the OP said, 10/8 and 9/8, so Your numbers are off! As with most players that don't really gamble, they find some weak form of logic to justify for not knowing.
ha ha.......there's NO 10/8, 9/8 if you're taking ALL the breaks as you said you would like to always have, is there? If you are taking all the breaks, obviously your opponent is getting the 10/8 spot...don't you understand? Let me explain..... the 9/8 part of that spot was in effect ONLY when he was breaking, not you......:rolleyes:.... My numbers are not off, you just don't comprehend to well, you should think longer before you step on your Johnson.....

.....vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv,.....see below......vvvvvvvvvvv.......
I'll take a 5%-15% edge every time I play!
Doesn't this mean you get all the breaks and you love it.......1 to 1.5 ball advantage.....5 to 15%. right?

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
ha ha.......there's NO 10/8, 9/8 if you're taking ALL the breaks as you said you would like to always have, is there? If you are taking all the breaks, obviously your opponent is getting the 10/8 spot...don't you understand? Let me explain..... the 9/8 part of that spot was in effect ONLY when he was breaking, not you......:rolleyes:.... My numbers are not off, you just don't comprehend to well, you should think longer before you step on your Johnson.....
.....vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv,.....see below......vvvvvvvvvvv.......
Maybe YOU are the egg that doesn't understand! A player could take all the breaks, and one game he gives 10/8 the next 9/8! That could even out the 1.5 balls the break is worth if they normally play even! Now, I understand why you never gambled. I'll bet you even paint by numbers.

BTW, I may be able to step on "my" Johnson, standing up!

Last edited:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Maybe YOU are the egg that doesn't understand! A player could take all the breaks, and one game he gives 10/8 the next 9/8! That could even out the 1.5 balls the break is worth if they normally play even!

BTW, I may be able to step on "my" Johnson, standing up!
........and you think that was what the original question about a 9/8 - 10/8 spot was about, huh? You must not play OP very much if you think that. That's not a game I have ever seen and neither have you.......not credible.

as for that other thing......at your height, maybe so......

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
........and you think that was what the original question about a 9/8 - 10/8 spot was about, huh? You must not play OP very much if you think that. That's not a game I have ever seen and neither have you.......not credible.

as for that other thing......at your height, maybe so......
That really tells all, about your time in Chicago! You were a, 'pro' sweater! And hardly ever made it out of, 'Town & Country.'

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
NO. And, if I was wrong, I'd never admit it to a guy like you! Because that's what you live for. Now, go practice that draw shot.
...small...small...small....I just didn't want your fans to be led down a rabbit hole........due to your not understanding.....could cost them some money.....ya know?......;)