Live from Red Shoes

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i didnt get to see too much but there was a shot where ghost shot a 2 rail kick on a ball pretty far off the rail to his hole and almost made it...:eek:...:D
after the game it seems he and john talked about that shot
ghost do you remember that one??

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
i didnt get to see too much but there was a shot where ghost shot a 2 rail kick on a ball pretty far off the rail to his hole and almost made it...:eek:...:D

That object ball was about six or seven inches off the short rail near the middle diamond. He studied the shot for the bank but maybe saw a kiss and decided to kick at it two rails. A pretty gutsy shot if you ask me. He wound up hanging the ball in his pocket.
Before that he also made another impressive kick at the object ball. Looks like I would need a couple of balls from the Ghost.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

I shot several different kicks during our match, including some offbeat ones - this is the one that John was giving me grief for making on him ----->

http://pool.bz/P/?@3CBDv4PUuT3WBDv4Wcps4kUuT3kbii3kQvo3kBso@

PS, And let me know if clicking on this link works for you - it's working for me.

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Petie...all spot shots, really?...I don't think that even Shane would think that shooting the spot shot off of the head rail is a gimme...:heh...

I'll try and see if I can 'rube goldberg-it-up' later, but unfortunately all of that shot-screen software implementing is not in my current skill set...:cool:

- Ghost

I think the shot was ok. You just hit it a bit too soft. Another three inches of roll on the cue ball and he has no shot.

Nah...I hit a lot of shots good in that session, but not this one - I hit it very bad.

Here is that situation...John needs one ball - his pocket is where the 1ball is - I'm on the rail - I can't get enough left english on the cueball to kick the 1ball from behind - I can't cross the 1ball on the left side without kissing - I can't play the tickee without leaving a return shot of some kind...

I'm not too fond of my situation...:mad:

http://pool.bz/P/?@4AYFl4DATa1PUvi@

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Nah...I hit a lot of shots good in that session, but not this one - I hit it bad.

Here is that situation...John needs one ball - his pocket is where the 1ball is - I'm on the rail - I can't get enough left english on the cueball to kick the 1ball from behind - I can't cross the 1ball on the left side without kissing - I can't play the tickee without leaving a return shot of some kind...

ghost2.jpg

Here's the other one:eek:.

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
To Luke,
Hey Luke, if you can post up that last shot against John Lavin. I'm still wondering how I would have shot it. It comes up a lot and is very tricky to negotiate. Let's see what the boys would do.

well if the ghost didnt shoot the spot shot
as well as he was kicking he might have tried to kick on to/under the one ball taking a scratch
it looks like from the diagram there is enough space
gg1.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
To Luke,
Hey Luke, if you can post up that last shot against John Lavin. I'm still wondering how I would have shot it. It comes up a lot and is very tricky to negotiate. Let's see what the boys would do.

me i would probably do this if i didnt go for the spot shot
if i get on the rail it looks like he cant cut the 1 in from there
gg2.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
me i would probably do this if i didnt go for the spot shot
if i get on the rail it looks like he cant cut the 1 in from there
View attachment 8774

It looks like the "ticki"is the best choice here. From the position of the balls in the picture I would shoot the shot with the slowest speed possible, even if I didn't get a rail it would be fine with me. Not really...but that's the speed i'm talking about.

Dr. Bill

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
It looks like the "ticki"is the best choice here. From the position of the balls in the picture I would shoot the shot with the slowest speed possible, even if I didn't get a rail it would be fine with me. Not really...but that's the speed i'm talking about.

Dr. Bill

If by 'ticki' you mean hit the rail first and then the ball, where do you say you should hit the rail to avoid scratching? I like hitting the ball first with the speed you say and a thin cut so as to send the one ball along the end rail and the cue doubling the rail. Best if they both come to rest on the foot rail.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
How many did the ghroast need ?

I think the Ghost only needed one. After he missed the slow roll spot shot John made that ball near his hole and positioned the other ball with very nice speed to pocket it and win the game. Very good shooting by both players. John might play better if he didn't rush all of his shots. Just my opinion, but he looked like he one stroked most of his shots.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Nah...I hit a lot of shots good in that session, but not this one - I hit it bad.

http://pool.bz/P/?@4AYFl4DATa1PUvi@

Ghost, when you said you cannot shoot the one ball shot without a kiss, I wonder first how full a kiss you expect? I play for the kiss as a take out many times. Sometimes a touch of outside English spreads the OB enough so the kiss is thin enough to clear the ball and stop the cue ball from traveling. The softer the shot is hit the more the OB has an opportunity to spread and the OB can pass the cue ball enough to make the kiss safe to occur. I understand this is a shot you have used many times in the past so I will assume this option was no good, but I felt I needed to mention it.

Dr. Bill's shot of the soft tickie is a good choice too. By hitting the shot softly you keep the OB from going up table enough to give up a bank which does not require turning the cue ball loose. However, I don't believe the shot needs to be hit quite as softly as Bill suggests. The angle becomes less severe as the cue ball and OB separate and the bank becomes more appetizing. So keep them close together but make certain the OB is high enough not to give up the cross side bank. As far as a possible scratch, that is highly unlikely to occur given the angle.

Tom

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Ghost, when you said you cannot shoot the one ball shot without a kiss, I wonder first how full a kiss you expect? I play for the kiss as a take out many times. Sometimes a touch of outside English spreads the OB enough so the kiss is thin enough to clear the ball and stop the cue ball from traveling. The softer the shot is hit the more the OB has an opportunity to spread and the OB can pass the cue ball enough to make the kiss safe to occur. I understand this is a shot you have used many times in the past so I will assume this option was no good, but I felt I needed to mention it.

Dr. Bill's shot of the soft tickie is a good choice too. By hitting the shot softly you keep the OB from going up table enough to give up a bank which does not require turning the cue ball loose. However, I don't believe the shot needs to be hit quite as softly as Bill suggests. The angle becomes less severe as the cue ball and OB separate and the bank becomes more appetizing. So keep them close together but make certain the OB is high enough not to give up the cross side bank. As far as a possible scratch, that is highly unlikely to occur given the angle.

Tom

Ok, Tom, Dr. Bill, Frank, Larry, Petie, etc...here's more of the story re. my situation here...

Tom, of course I know and play that kiss when to me it's advisable - I chose not to here for two reasons....#1 reason is I could have left some kind of bank on either ball, and John banks very well, even on tough, very off angle banks...I'll give my second reason at the end of this...

Dr. Billy, I didn't shoot the tickee for two reasons....#1 reason is that because of the need to hit it softly, there was the possibility of a slight roll-of of the cueball, thus causing a bad result...my second reason to this and to Tom is...

John's my friend and we're not betting high here..we'd already been playing for 5-1/2 hours and I'm hungry and ready to stop playing..so I just felt like going down fighting/shooting by trying to see if I could roll in the spot shot for the win..and if I missed it and sold out (as I did), so be it, no big deal - John and I will be playing a million more games after this one (if the good lord allows, that is :heh)...

But, if this had been a more serious match, i.e. if I was in this same spot against John H. next weekend..I'm not sure what I would have done - I'd have to think about it further..I might have taken an intentional by corner-hooking him in the pocket jaws...:heh....and if I did do this - I would give my sincere apologies to darmoose and Tyler for prolonging/slowing down the game...:lol...:rolleyes:...:cool:

- Ghost

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Ok, Tom, Dr. Bill, Frank, Larry, Petie, etc...here's more of the story re. my situation here...

Tom, of course I know and play that kiss when to me it's advisable - I chose not to here for two reasons....#1 reason is I could have left some kind of bank on either ball, and John banks very well, even on tough, very off angle banks...I'll give my second reason at the end of this...

Dr. Billy, I didn't shoot the tickee for two reasons....#1 reason is that because of the need to hit it softly, there was the possibility of a slight roll-of of the cueball, thus causing a bad result...my second reason to this and to Tom is...

John's my friend and we're not betting high here..we'd already been playing for 5-1/2 hours and I'm hungry and ready to stop playing..so I just felt like going down fighting/shooting by trying to see if I could roll in the spot shot for the win..and if I missed it and sold out (as I did), so be it, no big deal - John and I will be playing a million more games after this one (if the good lord allows, that is :heh)...

But, if this had been a more serious match, i.e. if I was in this same spot against John H. next weekend..I'm not sure what I would have done - I'd have to think about it further..I might have taken an intentional by corner-hooking him in the pocket jaws...:heh....and if I did do this - I would give my sincere apologies to darmoose and Tyler for prolonging/slowing down the game...:lol...:rolleyes:...:cool:

- Ghost

The corner hook might have been worth it for that reason alone. :lol

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
well if the ghost didnt shoot the spot shot
as well as he was kicking he might have tried to kick on to/under the one ball taking a scratch
it looks like from the diagram there is enough space
View attachment 8773

Larry,
Your shot as diagramed is far too dangerous. There is very little margin for error with this shot and even if you manage to strike the cushion behind the ball, the possibility of a scratch is rather high. When coming behind a ball from angles such as this the cue ball typically runs straight down the rail after contacting the OB.

If you try to go two or three rails behind the one ball you can manage the safety but at the price of a foul and you are still in a great deal of trouble.
In addition, trying to pick up the end rail before contacting the one ball you must come very close to the ball on the spot. Hit that ball and it is game over.

Trying to roll straight through the ball on the spot and leave the cue ball on the end rail is not easy to pull off for anyone from that distance either. No, the shot must be to either do something directly with the one ball or shoot the spot shot. At least that is MO. The Ghost says he wanted out of this game one way or the other. I've been there so I know what he's talking about but I think if that were the case he may as well shoot the shot with a little authority. slow rolling the shot makes it that much harder to make and if the shot is missed either short or long there is hell to pay.

Tom

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
The Ghost says he wanted out of this game one way or the other. I've been there so I know what he's talking about but I think if that were the case he may as well shoot the shot with a little authority. slow rolling the shot makes it that much harder to make and if the shot is missed either short or long there is hell to pay.

Tom

Brother Tom, I've got to correct you here - you can't speak for my skill set...it would not be "easier" or higher % for me to make that particular spot shot by shooting it "with authority" - I'm not capable of being able to muster up any authority when I'm on the rail and am only able to get half of my cue tip to strike the top edge of the object ball - if you or anybody else can do that, than God bless you is all's I can say...

Also by my preferred method rolling it, I have a much better chance of ending up safe, then someone shooting it with speed.

- Ghost