Spring Members Tournament

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
If players feel the Pot isn't big enough, for the top 3 spots, Like someone mentioned, if you think you have a shot, all those put in $500 each, I'm sure they'll be 6-8 players that feel they'll reach the podium. That should eliminate any, 'overhead' issues. Plus the, 'Calcutta!' For an event that is not geared to top players it seems like a payday would be in there somewhere! JMHO.

OldSchool

Verified Member
Tom, I know what the expenses can add up to, having traveled to tournaments all over the country.

But if potential ROI is your priority, there are plenty of other events for you to consider. For a members tournament I personally feel that is the wrong priority. IMO, there are only a small number of guys that can reasonably expect to compete for first place. For the majority of participants it is not going to be a money-maker. And many guys, with the same level of potential expenses that you outlined, come to the event anyway in the knowledge that they are likely to go two-and-out. But their priority is to hang with friends and acquaintances they've made here over the years and IMO that's what a MOT should be about.

Personally I'm financially comfortable and am not going to blink whatever the expenses and entry fee. Nonetheless, I strongly feel that raising the entry fee is not the right move.

Lou Figueroa

This is the unarguably the correct appraisal of the spirit and the reason for the onepocket.org members tournaments.

And Keith's side pot suggestion is 100% the perfect addition for the better players.

Old School

Last edited:

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
Lol... if you wish to vote for a poll Tom, you have my permission to start a poll to vote for a poll... yes... i ran the auction in Chicago.. you went for to much money, that darn Kentucky kept running you up...lol
Yes, you know it always sucks for the better players to risk more money in a auction to make money... I think they call that odds on the money...

Being serious here, from the beginning, the Main MOT yearly tournaments the members agreed to pay deep, 8 places and 6 in the auction. Thats not a normal payout structure for a 32 player field.. If you remember the original idea was to keep the payouts spread out as to discourage high level players from joining up here just to take down the cash, there by ruining the tournament.

We have continued that idea all along and Miller and me decided in the SRC tournaments to keep that going. I think we payed to 6 and 4 in the 16 player ones. Still pretty deep but we also had 1500 generously added by Bill so our payouts were actually bigger than any of the 32 player mains. That much added is not likely to happen this year.. It was very generous by Rowsey...
So there is a little more to this than just raise the entry... I'm working with Andy to get a few things confirmed for us. That will take a little time. So we will re evaluate everything once that is done.
Calcuttas are not big in Chicago because most places never run them anymore since they are afraid to lose the slot machine revenue

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Looks like I.m well in the minority on this one. Please forgive me and accept my apology if I've come off sounding mercenary here. Maybe if the event was not limited to 24 players. I do see you all as friends first and combatants only when engaged in battle on the pool table.

Tom

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
We have 6 vested Op.org members here at SRC and a few Honorary SRC Brothers from other states.
So this one may fill up fast and have to go to 32 man roster.
Looking forward to seeing Yous Guys. Did I say that right?
~T

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Looks like I.m well in the minority on this one. Please forgive me and accept my apology if I've come off sounding mercenary here. Maybe if the event was not limited to 24 players. I do see you all as friends first and combatants only when engaged in battle on the pool table.

Tom

i think crabby and my inclination is that it should stay at a $100 but there are some good ideas regarding a side pot, etc.... we've got enough collective wisdom here that I'm sure we can figure something out....;)

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
We have 6 vested Op.org members here at SRC and a few Honorary SRC Brothers from other states.
So this one may fill up fast and have to go to 32 man roster.
Looking forward to seeing Yous Guys. Did I say that right?
~T

crabbman has chatted with andy. if we have a bank tourney open to local players on thursday and have a 3 day tourney friday - sunday, should be able to swing that. we did two on the losers side last time - can even possibly look at modifying that back to 3 for 5th/6th, 4th, 3rd games.....

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
From all I've read, there is no reason to think the status of the virus in the US will have changed by then.

In fact, if could be worse. Several members have already said a firm "no" to the DCC next year in January, so planning a members event just two months later makes little sense to me. Why not shoot for later in the year when there is a reasonable chance that a vaccine has become available? That way some of the older, more vulnerable members, could attend and be safe.

Lou Figueroa

brother Lou....

right. that's the thing. me and crabbman were just talking about this a couple nights ago..... who knows what the world will look like in March (could be completely out of our hands). if need be, guessing we can at least lay the groundwork for a postponement to a fall tourney if necessary.

spoke/texted with Steve several weeks back (to make sure its cool with him), and the additional rationale for March is that (1) Todd had already spoken to Andy about it and that is what they were thinking, and (2) March puts us between DCC and the MOT on the calendar.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Keith/Mark/John....

How would the mechanics of a side pot work?

Regardless of overall field size, let's theoretically assume you have 10 players willing to post up an additional $xxx amount into a dedicated side pot. How should disbursements work? Would it be a pre-determined % for top ____ finishers?

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Each player interested in entering the side pot puts up a predetermined $ amount, say $100. or $200. Then that becomes a separate event just for those players. Maybe you pay out 2 to 4 places depending on the number of participants. Of those players in the side pot the highest finishers win the side pot money. And yeah you just predetermine the payout %.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Very simple to do....
it’s done all the time in poker tournaments...
Simply do a last longer....
Bet whatever...
pay it out anyway you want...
All to the last man standing...
Or chop it when it gets down to 3 or 2 players...
Couldn’t be simpler....
or more fair...

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I agree with keeping the entry fee where it is if there's a lot of very good players who enter. I agree with bumping the entry fee up to $500 or $1,000 if there's a lot of very, very weak players who enter. For those who think I'm kidding, well I'm not!