Taste and Smell Aversion

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I had Covid last April I believe. I had it I think almost a month before I even knew it, just seemed like a minor cold that wouldn't go away, then one day I was having trouble breathing, still not coughing much though.
I went from about 40 % feeling ok in May to about 90% ok now. I have some sever scarring on one lung but the biggest thing now is the taste aversion.
Ever since May, everything smells and tastes like chemicals, not good chemicals either.
I can only explain it like acetone, kerosene, beer puke and sweaty gym clothes wrung out into a bucket together. Everything is intensified to such a level it is awful.
Even Dove soap smells so strong it makes me gag. Food is the worst, even when my wife is cooking my favorite meals from before, I can't stand the smell in the house , let alone the thought of eating it. I have lost a lot of weight and I am down to eating blackberry jelly sandwiches, applesauce, mashed potatoes with gravy and chocolate ice cream "even the ice cream is iffy" Anybody else had this problem? I watched a couple of home remedies on You Tube but they did not work.

evergruven

Verified Member
hey billy, haven't had that experience but it seems important to keep up a healthy weight
keeping that up will probably help your lung and the rest of your body heal better/faster
for example, find the foods you can tolerate and fortify them with protein however you can
how about smoothies? that's a good way to get a lot of nutrition without working too hard

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
hey billy, haven't had that experience but it seems important to keep up a healthy weight
keeping that up will probably help your lung and the rest of your body heal better/faster
for example, find the foods you can tolerate and fortify them with protein however you can
how about smoothies? that's a good way to get a lot of nutrition without working too hard
I know it is difficult to imagine but that short list is all I can gag down. Nothing tastes "good" everything has the flavor and aroma of cleaning solvents and puke and an old fishing tackle box you left bait in 3 years ago.
It is horrible, that short list of things is all I can even attempt to try to get to stay down, otherwise I either have dry heaves before I eat it , or puke it up , right after. Even tap water tastes that way. I can drink water if I( run it through my refridgerator filter though. So it is something real, but it is now heightened to the point I notice it when before I did not.
I did try some of the Equate shakes , they suck , but I can keep them down and they do have a lot of good vitamins and minerals in them. Thanks for trying to help.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Sounds like you are really sick to me. You have to get checked, blood work etc... Someone might be trying to poison you. You can't go on like this..

evergruven

Verified Member
I know it is difficult to imagine but that short list is all I can gag down. Nothing tastes "good" everything has the flavor and aroma of cleaning solvents and puke and an old fishing tackle box you left bait in 3 years ago.
It is horrible, that short list of things is all I can even attempt to try to get to stay down, otherwise I either have dry heaves before I eat it , or puke it up , right after. Even tap water tastes that way. I can drink water if I( run it through my refridgerator filter though. So it is something real, but it is now heightened to the point I notice it when before I did not.
I did try some of the Equate shakes , they suck , but I can keep them down and they do have a lot of good vitamins and minerals in them. Thanks for trying to help.

it sounds horrible, sorry you have to go through that
like jimmy said, might be worth checking out with a doc if you haven't
at least, a nutritionist might could help you with ideas about food
keep chugging that water- staying hydrated is important, too
hang in there pal..this too shall pass (hopefully soon)

Reactions: lll

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Sorry to hear of your condition Billy not much to add except also to encourage you to go see the doctor

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Sorry to hear of your condition Billy not much to add except also to encourage you to go see the doctor
If he knows he has lung scarring, then he must have seen a doc and got scans of some kind. I have some lung scarring too apparently, and that is how I found out.

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
Iโ€™m sorry to hear you are going through all of this Billy.

I would echo what others have said and strongly recommend to go see a doctor to run some blood and urine tests and take it from there.

Food can smell/taste like acetone for various reasons (e.g. in the process of burning fat which would be consistent with your weight loss so a bit of a circular problem) but only a doctor will be able to tell you the reason(s) once the necessary tests have been completed.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
If he knows he has lung scarring, then he must have seen a doc and got scans of some kind. I have some lung scarring too apparently, and that is how I found out.
We dont know if billy has seen a doctor regarding this problem

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
One of our good friends has the same problem, but not as extreme as yours. It came back slowly, and still not 100% several months later.

beatle

Verified Member
get to a competent doctor and get tested thoroughly. it may be something entirely different than long covid.

you dont want to hear the words. "it too late now" from a doctor.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Sounds like you are really sick to me. You have to get checked, blood work etc... Someone might be trying to poison you. You can't go on like this..

Sorry I didn't answer this part sooner. I have been to the doctor twice since I got better from Covid originally. They told me I had pretty bad lung scarring on one lung, that I was a long hauler ,no idea what to do about that , and that they had no idea what to do about the taste and smell aversion, other than ignore it , lol. I had a complete blood work up, MRI 's and xrays. , Thanks everyone for trying to help, and the good wishes.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Also maybe find a bar you like. Protein bar, meal replacement or whatever you want to call them. Sometimes when nothing sounds good, they come in handy for me. Like the others said I would get checked out...good luck Billy I hope you feel better soon!

beatle

Verified Member
this sounds crazy but if you hold our nose you lose most sense of taste because of smell.
so some stuff you know you need to eat that may help get it down somewhat.

things that are semi minor tend to go away. things that are major get worse.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Hope you get it figured out soon. Get well...maybe try some Jewish penicillin (chicken soup), something's gotta work for you. ๐Ÿ˜˜

Reactions: lll

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
this sounds crazy but if you hold our nose you lose most sense of taste because of smell.
so some stuff you know you need to eat that may help get it down somewhat.

things that are semi minor tend to go away. things that are major get worse.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VQJfEWTNatmDuzyf8
Billy Jackets knows some shots! Thanks!
Take care and get better!
Whitey
Good shooting as always Whitey. Hope everything is going great for you.!

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
"Get well...maybe try some Jewish penicillin (chicken soup), something's gotta work for you. " ๐Ÿ˜˜

Alright, that does it.

Steve, you going to put up with this dangerous amateur medical misinformation?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
"Get well...maybe try some Jewish penicillin (chicken soup), something's gotta work for you. " ๐Ÿ˜˜

Alright, that does it.

Steve, you going to put up with this dangerous amateur medical misinformation?
.i thought you were going to complain that it was anti semetic or racist or something.... ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
i thought you were going to complain that it was anti semetic or racist or something.... ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚
It IS, but I assumed that he didn't know any better, so I let it go. Every right-thinking person knows that mentioning chicken soup without adding that it's only safe if it's Kosher, is creating a health risk to the unwary.

edit to add: I'm pretty sure I read that the Hebrews invented chicken soup in Babylon.