So how can OnePocket.org do more to support One Pocket?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
... and the teaching should be consistent across instructors. The player will modify as necessary as s/he progresses.
I agree. This is why I mentioned we should talk to Bob Jewett, who ran the San Francisco Billiard Academy for BCA Certified Instructors for years.

unoperro

Verified Member
I think getting the major promoters of the big 1 pkt trnmnts Griffith,Fleming Diamond ,and Buffalo's to all agree on rules,including shot clocks,this would go a long ways to making the game more player and viewer friendly.
Perhaps calling them sanctioned events. From there it maybe possible to have a 1 pkt.org series championship.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
OK, we are already a pretty darn good resource to learn the game. We also have greatly improved being a good place to learn about upcoming tournaments and live streams, many thanks to those who keep an eye out for upcoming stuff and for cincy who updates our events calendar. We also recently updated rules and I believe we are (and have been) the standard for rules -- even if other rules with tweaks are used for specific events.

But I see a couple of areas we might be able to help more

• One category that we could be doing more is to create and organize some specific resources for leagues or TD's -- resources that are prepared and organized here on the site somewhere, such that a room owner or organizer could access them and "plug and play" for their own event or league if they start thinking they wold like to launch something or promote something. I'm thinking about things like tournament formats that include reasonable expectations for timetables for completion for example. Also simple one page rule summaries such that a TD might use with their announcement, etc. One obvious thing to go along with this would be handicapping help, or handicapping software that uses the standard sort of win/lose/score records to automatically keep a rolling ranking for a specific group of players. I am not an app programmer, so that would not be me coming up with that particular tool. Kind of an in-house Fargo, so to speak.

• Another category is a biggie, and I really don't know how to go about this, but I have a few basic ideas, but the question is, can we somehow figure out a way for our onepocket.org community to offer a way to significantly support more major tournament? As in, how can we *possibly* help raise support and money for more major One Pocket tournaments? By "a few basic ideas", I mean that for one of those ideas, we could offer some kind of premium onepocket.org membership that raised money to support tournaments. Or we could possibly create our own "Make it Happen" kind of thing -- where people willing to chip in a significant $$$ could help sponsor a major tournament. Or another idea, what if we could approach the PPV streamers and work out some kind of cross-platform package that gave us access to all of their One Pocket events, but that also put money in a tournament "added money" account to help them promote One Pocket?? Like poolactionTV, accustats, and omega, etc....

Well those are some thoughts and questions since i am home with a bug that I sure hope is not Covid but has kept me home for a few days lol. I am feeling better today or I would not have had the focus to write this :)
How about encouraging room owners to promote one pocket by having classes for beginners for a nominal sum then going further to hold tournaments for different skill levels where matches cannot exceed one hour or the matches are played to less than 8/7. one pocket is an unknown to the outside world unlike chess which has an international following. Mention one pocket to outsiders and they have no idea what you are talking about unlike 9 and 8 ball. You have to bring more people to one pocket to get the public’s and room owners attention. A good place to start is with 9 and 8 ball league play and get those players interested. One pocket tournaments are drawing the same players and rarely do you see any new blood in the contests.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I think getting the major promoters of the big 1 pkt trnmnts Griffith,Fleming Diamond ,and Buffalo's to all agree on rules,including shot clocks,this would go a long ways to making the game more player and viewer friendly.
Perhaps calling them sanctioned events. From there it maybe possible to have a 1 pkt.org series championship.
onepocket.org has no carrot to get promoters to listen without being a sponsor. I agree in standardizing events, but some things like pocket size or table type are beyond our ability to influence. Also, some formats, like Derby City, love the "David v. Goliath" race to 3 format, where a regular can play his hero and beat him. Others, like Buffalos Pro Classic, make the entry fee and the race to five conducive to only the top players competing. I think there is a value in both formats. So what kinds of standardizing do you think would be consistent with onepocket.org principles, other than playing by the standard rules?

unoperro

Verified Member
well playing by 1 set of rules would be a start!

shotclocks are necessary

races can vary to suit the hosts

Fanatic

Verified Member
OK, we are already a pretty darn good resource to learn the game. We also have greatly improved being a good place to learn about upcoming tournaments and live streams, many thanks to those who keep an eye out for upcoming stuff and for cincy who updates our events calendar. We also recently updated rules and I believe we are (and have been) the standard for rules -- even if other rules with tweaks are used for specific events.

But I see a couple of areas we might be able to help more

• One category that we could be doing more is to create and organize some specific resources for leagues or TD's -- resources that are prepared and organized here on the site somewhere, such that a room owner or organizer could access them and "plug and play" for their own event or league if they start thinking they wold like to launch something or promote something. I'm thinking about things like tournament formats that include reasonable expectations for timetables for completion for example. Also simple one page rule summaries such that a TD might use with their announcement, etc. One obvious thing to go along with this would be handicapping help, or handicapping software that uses the standard sort of win/lose/score records to automatically keep a rolling ranking for a specific group of players. I am not an app programmer, so that would not be me coming up with that particular tool. Kind of an in-house Fargo, so to speak.

• Another category is a biggie, and I really don't know how to go about this, but I have a few basic ideas, but the question is, can we somehow figure out a way for our onepocket.org community to offer a way to significantly support more major tournament? As in, how can we *possibly* help raise support and money for more major One Pocket tournaments? By "a few basic ideas", I mean that for one of those ideas, we could offer some kind of premium onepocket.org membership that raised money to support tournaments. Or we could possibly create our own "Make it Happen" kind of thing -- where people willing to chip in a significant $$$ could help sponsor a major tournament. Or another idea, what if we could approach the PPV streamers and work out some kind of cross-platform package that gave us access to all of their One Pocket events, but that also put money in a tournament "added money" account to help them promote One Pocket?? Like poolactionTV, accustats, and omega, etc....

Well those are some thoughts and questions since i am home with a bug that I sure hope is not Covid but has kept me home for a few days lol. I am feeling better today or I would not have had the focus to write this :)
It would have been nice to see you publicize and support the first ever Women’s One Pocket tournament at the woman’s Triple Crown in Virginia Beach this week!

It was a great tournament that created a movement of women motivated to learn the game. Hope you guys take some of your locals under your wing to spread the game to a whole other gender! Monica Webb took 1st and played pretty damn good. Julie Melman-Cone took 2nd and Janet Atwell who never played picked it up quick and placed 3rd. I got 5/6th but I should’ve done better. It was a sight to see and everyone had a great time! A bunch of us that did know the game tried to help some of the girls that have never played and it was exciting to see all the new lovers of the game. Hopefully you guys step up and support the next one!

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I agree. This is why I mentioned we should talk to Bob Jewett, who ran the San Francisco Billiard Academy for BCA Certified Instructors for years.
I'm so glad you didn't include me with Jewett.
I ran the BCA instructors program, when they first moved to Colorado from IA.
During creation/certification of those academies, WHOA!!
Do I have some stories, not good.
And the littering of ''new ''/board members from other Boards, getting voted in/on the BCA board, that was interesting.
We all know only too well, how pool players are always ''lookin out for #1''.
Soon after, John Lewis and his programs were pushed away (trade organization, not a player organization) then he, separated , moved and formed his own league in Green Bay.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It would have been nice to see you publicize and support the first ever Women’s One Pocket tournament at the woman’s Triple Crown in Virginia Beach this week!

It was a great tournament that created a movement of women motivated to learn the game. Hope you guys take some of your locals under your wing to spread the game to a whole other gender! Monica Webb took 1st and played pretty damn good. Julie Melman-Cone took 2nd and Janet Atwell who never played picked it up quick and placed 3rd. I got 5/6th but I should’ve done better. It was a sight to see and everyone had a great time! A bunch of us that did know the game tried to help some of the girls that have never played and it was exciting to see all the new lovers of the game. Hopefully you guys step up and support the next one!
Fair enough!! I believe Mazin's had a player from New England in the tournament even. I am definitely guilty as charged :oops:

But... now that I think of it, I suspect if you had maintained a little more engagement here in the forum leading up to the tournament, there would probably even have been a groundswell of interest to sponsor and definitely to follow you in the tournament in fact. I apologize for framing it that way, because it obviously deflects from what I just said in the above paragraph.

Bottom line, we can do better! And, congratulations of your own strong finish!!!

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I am relatively a new member, but I have been thinking about this for some time, but hesitant in bringing it up, for it probably has been discussed at length some time ago.
But I and probably other relatively new members were wondering about this idea; to have an annual membership fee that supports a OP.org annual national OP tournament.
Whitey

Fanatic

Verified Member
Fair enough!! I believe Mazin's had a player from New England in the tournament even. I am definitely guilty as charged :oops:

But... now that I think of it, I suspect if you had maintained a little more engagement here in the forum leading up to the tournament, there would probably even have been a groundswell of interest to sponsor and definitely to follow you in the tournament in fact. I apologize for framing it that way, because it obviously deflects from what I just said in the above paragraph.

Bottom line, we can do better! And, congratulations of your own strong finish!!!

I know I haven’t contributed in years but participating on this site i remember is a full time job lol. Honestly I haven’t been playing at all because of my current job and responsibilities but I felt I needed to be a part of this tournament being it was the first ever...so I came out just for that.I only got to practice 1 hour a day for 1 month after years without playing and not for nothing I didn’t want to add to the pressure of all you guys watching since the pressure was so great already. I spent many years learning it and it meant a lot to me and I really wanted to win it. My nerves were already all over the place and I should have done much better but I was definitely in it and everyone saw I knew what I was doing...thanks in part to OnePocket.org 😉 but you guys are my peers and I didn’t want to look foolish at my First ever Women’s event. I had no idea what was out there as far as competition and I never met any of these ladies and I was nervous I’d go 0 for 2...The added attention would have taken me over the edge I think. In the end I Lost 4th place on a stop shot gone terribly wrong trying to take a ball out of a pocket on a hill hill match with Joann Mason Parker ( tough opponent shooting wise)) with a score of 3/5 her...you can’t make that kind of mistake on a solid shooter...God I’ll remember that shot forever lol. She was great though and Joann is definitely on the prowl to learn more!I promoted your WWYD threads to anyone that would listen so you should have a whole new field of players coming out. The tournament really inspired me to make more time for the game in my life so hopefully next time I’ll be in better stroke but I did cash!... I promise to bring more attention to the next event ...I could have definitely done better job promoting it myself. Next time
XOXO

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I know I haven’t contributed in years but participating on this site i remember is a full time job lol. Honestly I haven’t been playing at all because of my current job and responsibilities but I felt I needed to be a part of this tournament being it was the first ever...so I came out just for that.I only got to practice 1 hour a day for 1 month after years without playing and not for nothing I didn’t want to add to the pressure of all you guys watching since the pressure was so great already. I spent many years learning it and it meant a lot to me and I really wanted to win it. My nerves were already all over the place and I should have done much better but I was definitely in it and everyone saw I knew what I was doing...thanks in part to OnePocket.org 😉 but you guys are my peers and I didn’t want to look foolish at my First ever Women’s event. I had no idea what was out there as far as competition and I never met any of these ladies and I was nervous I’d go 0 for 2...The added attention would have taken me over the edge I think. In the end I Lost 4th place on a stop shot gone terribly wrong trying to take a ball out of a pocket on a hill hill match with Joann Mason Parker ( tough opponent shooting wise)) with a score of 3/5 her...but I should have beat her...I definitely had her... but you can’t make that kind of mistake on a solid shooter...God I’ll remember that shot forever lol. She was great though and Joann is definitely on the prowl to learn more!I promoted your WWYD threads to anyone that would listen so you should have a whole new field of players coming out. The tournament really inspired me to make more time for the game in my life so hopefully next time I’ll be in better stroke but I did cash!... I promise to bring more attention to the next event ...I could have definitely done better job promoting it myself. Next time
XOXO
How many women participated in this, first ever event? Any other notables other than Monica and Joann?

Fanatic

Verified Member
How many women participated in this, first ever event? Any other notables other than Monica and Joann?
23 showed up but a few left prior to the one pocket because they did not place well in prior events. I believe it was 17 or 18 in the One pocket.
Janet Atwell
Liz Taylor
Gail Eaton
Lonnie Fox Raymond

They are well known in the woman’s circuit but apparently the big guns like Allison Fisher chickened out along with many others who didn’t have the guts to play all 3 games lol ..but whatever more money for us. The money btw was fantastic and they paid out 100% with no green fees either so they really had no excuse.

I placed 7/8 in straight pool which was great since I never played it a day in my life lol but 13/16 in 10 ball. It was a very intimidating tournament for all of us...no one had their head in the clouds too much...and it was anyone’s tournament. Monica’s seasoning got her the win for sure

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
23 showed up but a few left prior to the one pocket because they did not place well in prior events. I believe it was 17 or 18 in the One pocket.
Janet Atwell
Liz Taylor
Gail Eaton
Lonnie Fox Raymond

They are well known in the woman’s circuit but apparently the big guns like Allison Fisher chickened out along with many others who didn’t have the guts to play all 3 games lol ..but whatever more money for us. The money btw was fantastic and they paid out 100% with no green fees either so they really had no excuse.

I placed 7/8 in straight pool which was great since I never played it a day in my life lol but 13/16 in 10 ball. It was a very intimidating tournament for ever...no one had their head in the clouds too much...it was anyone’s tournament. Monica’s seasoning got her the win for sure
Women's Fargo Ratings:
Webb #3
Atwell #21
Eaton #34
Taylor #40
Raymond #106

Fanatic

Verified Member
Liz is also from New England and I know her -- good on her for stepping up as well!!
Lol I pulled her my first match and lost 3 to 1 . I had a tough start in the morning and Liz plays too good ( she won the 10ball portion!) to mess around with regardless of the fact she doesn’t play the game. She knew the concept and adjusted. Liz plays out of qmasters now and she was a great hostess to all the women and treated me as family. She’s all heart. Great Gal

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Lol I pulled her my first match and lost 3 to 1 . I had a tough start in the morning and Liz plays too good ( she won the 10ball portion!) to mess around with regardless of the fact she doesn’t play the game. She knew the concept and adjusted. Liz plays out of qmasters now and she was a great hostess to all the women and treated me as family. She’s all heart. Great Gal
Did you know -- and Liz for that matter -- Q-Masters is a likely location for one of our MOT tournaments?

Fanatic

Verified Member
Here’s the full list...20 total
Only Amanda I believe did not play in the 1pkt

Attachments

• 15110A00-8B2A-4A2D-A443-88A5D6746329.jpeg
    15110A00-8B2A-4A2D-A443-88A5D6746329.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21