S. Daulton vs. R. Martinez #2

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Billy, on your other option, how would that get RM out of the trap? The opponent is just going to bat the 3 ball away, and leave you right back behind the 5 or 14. Then RM would be in worse shape than he is now.

Doc

Dr. Arthur, I set this shot up and got great results with the shot. The way to play the shot is to hit the 3 ball fat and follow the cue ball softly into the 14 ball. The 3 ball ends up by the side pocket and you leave nothing for Daulton. The problem Martinez has is he's behind the 2 ball, any other place and he would have options, even the intentional option wouldn't be bad because Martinez has the best position, but he must get past this one shot.

The other shot with making the 2 ball and positioning the cue ball under the 7 ball hiding Daulton from the 3 ball is a big shot. From that position Martinez has Daulton in a lot of trouble.

Dr. Bill

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

I like this shot also, it's not that tough. Load it up with middle ball spin and hit the 6 ball a little fuller, it'll go there without draw. Probably takes a little practice, but isn't hard to do at all.:D
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I like this shot also, it's not that tough. Load it up with middle ball spin and hit the 6 ball a little fuller, it'll go there without draw. Probably takes a little practice, but isn't hard to do at all.:D
Rod.
You're 100% correct, from the picture it looks (6 ball) to be laying too high but it's actually laying perfect for this shot. This shot is the absolute nuts. Good eye Jimmy B. and Rod is a student of the game. :D

Rod, did you try any of the other options?

Dr. Bill

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
You're 100% correct, from the picture it looks (6 ball) to be laying too high but it's actually laying perfect for this shot. This shot is the absolute nuts. Good eye Jimmy B. and Rod is a student of the game. :D

Rod, did you try any of the other options?

Dr. Bill

No, I don't have a table at home. My wife says I should get one because she has nowhere to pile the laundry until she folds it. :D
Rod.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
When I say you're out of the trap I actually mean that it's a much easier situation to negotiate from. The position he's in now is as bad as it could possibly be, almost. From the ending position with my second option you can always take an intentional and possibly drop under the 7 ball, the ball near the bottom cushion. There's also the possibility of positioning the 3 ball further up the rail off of my option and floating onto the 5 and 14 balls. But the position he's in now is really a difficult position to deal from, which is evidenced by his options.

Jimmy B's option of caroming off the 6 ball and then dropping under the 7 ball is a very difficult shot because of the angle going into the 6 ball. Looks like he'll have to draw the cue ball off the 6 ball to get back, extremely difficult shot that requires a perfect touch. I'd rather shoot off the 6 ball and draw into the 1 ball and take my chances with that shot, as opposed to playing it the other way....Dr. Bill
Quite so. That's the shot I offered in post #19. The CB off the 6, then 2 rails to the 7 is a shot even billiard players would have trouble executing. But I think the 1 ball has gotta get outta there...

Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Dr. Arthur, I set this shot up and got great results with the shot. The way to play the shot is to hit the 3 ball fat and follow the cue ball softly into the 14 ball. The 3 ball ends up by the side pocket and you leave nothing for Daulton. The problem Martinez has is he's behind the 2 ball, any other place and he would have options, even the intentional option wouldn't be bad because Martinez has the best position, but he must get past this one shot.

The other shot with making the 2 ball and positioning the cue ball under the 7 ball hiding Daulton from the 3 ball is a big shot. From that position Martinez has Daulton in a lot of trouble. Dr. Bill
When you knock that 3 ball away, you take away 50% of Martinez's advantage: 1 up, 1 down. Why do that when there are other choices?

Are you talking about pocketing what appears to be the 4 ball? The one right by RM's pocket? How are you going to hide the opponent from the 3 ball, and not leave a bank on the 7, or some other ball?

Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Rod.
Rod, I imagine with a little practice that shot could be mastered, as you say. But when the shooter is faced with that shot, he doesn't get to try a couple of practice shots at it...:D:lol Granted, some guys may have a natural feel for those kind of shots.

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Rod, I imagine with a little practice that shot could be mastered, as you say. But when the shooter is faced with that shot, he doesn't get to try a couple of practice shots at it...:D:lol Granted, some guys may have a natural feel for those kind of shots.

Doc
Art, the tangent line lines up perfectly for the shot, it lays natural but by looking at the picture the 6 ball looks to be a little high but it's not.

Even the option I mentioned with the 3 ball looks to be much more difficult than it appears looking at the picture, but that shot is also quite simple.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
When you knock that 3 ball away, you take away 50% of Martinez's advantage: 1 up, 1 down. Why do that when there are other choices? (what other options are you talking about? All other options seem to be risky at best, whenever you're in a bad situation don't be overly concerned to give up a little something to get out of it. I would be more then glad to move the 3 ball by the side if I felt that I could work myself out of this situation.)

Are you talking about pocketing what appears to be the 4 ball? The one right by RM's pocket? How are you going to hide the opponent from the 3 ball, and not leave a bank on the 7, or some other ball? (Yes the 4 ball, I said if the angle allows you to shoot the 4 ball straight in his pocket and follow the cue ball under the 7 ball with the chance to hide the 3 ball, why not?)

Doc
The best option is a carom off the 6 ball and drop under the 7 ball. I set up the shot and it's a natural but it doesn't look like a natural from the picture.
I think you need to set up a few of these options to see for yourself, when I set up the carom off the 6 ball option I knew immediately it was the right shot.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
RM hit this shot so good that I don't think the cueball even hit the rail:eek: It looked like a magnet was pulling it backwards:).

View attachment 6463

View attachment 6464

Are you kidding me that shot wasn't an option for 99.9999999999% of the players that were at the tournament. And to make it even worse for Daulton take a gander of where the cue ball stopped :help

Don't allow what he did to influence you, that was sic, Jimmy B's option with caroming off the 6 ball is the shot for humans.

Dr. Bill

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Are you kidding me that shot wasn't an option for 99.9999999999% of the players that were at the tournament. And to make it even worse for Daulton take a gander of where the cue ball stopped :help

Don't allow what he did to influence you, that was sic, Jimmy B's option with caroming off the 6 ball is the shot for humans.

Dr. Bill

You co-commentated that match with Danny D. and said "oh what a great shot, that's a super super shot, that's a super shot. Oh my. The execution of that shot was just about as perfect as you could hit it. What a great shot that was.".

I guess it was a good shot eh Bill?:) (Good for Martinez or Efren).

Dennis

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Art, the tangent line lines up perfectly for the shot, it lays natural but by looking at the picture the 6 ball looks to be a little high but it's not.

Even the option I mentioned with the 3 ball looks to be much more difficult than it appears looking at the picture, but that shot is also quite simple.Dr. Bill
I'll take your word for it that the 2-railer off the 6 ball lays well. If it's that easy, it's a good shot. One could get to essentially the same place by drawing off the 6 as well. But I'm inclined to like caroming the 1 ball out of there.

Your 3 ball shot gives away too much. And pocketing the 4 ball is definitely a 3 cocktail shot...:D

As it happened, RM made a phenomenal draw shot on the 15, which would not be an option for most of us. One can't argue with the results as much as one could argue with the shot selection.

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I'll take your word for it that the 2-railer off the 6 ball lays well. If it's that easy, it's a good shot. One could get to essentially the same place by drawing off the 6 as well. ( You're correct you could get to the same place, but not as often:sorry) But I'm inclined to like caroming the 1 ball out of there. ( Imo in this situation caroming the 1 ball is a little too extreme. (not worth the risk) Overkill ):sorry

Your 3 ball shot gives away too much. And pocketing the 4 ball is definitely a 3 cocktail shot...:D ( I try to evaluate every situation in it's entirety before I choose an option. For me to go into every reason and detail why certain options are chosen would take me too much time, respectfully speaking.)
As it happened, RM made a phenomenal draw shot on the 15, which would not be an option for most of us. One can't argue with the results as much as one could argue with the shot selection.

Doc

I promised that if you come to Tunica I would improve your game a ball, but you need to try to buy into my prognosis.:) You're a doctor of manipulation of the spine and i'm a doctor of manipiulation of pool balls:D At least that's the way I would like to be perceived, thank you.:)

Dr. Bill < manipulator of pool balls.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
I need to make a couple of comments regarding this shot. First, the shot of coming off the 6 ball and going to the side rail and then down to the bottom rail was my 1st choice. However as I looked closely at the position of the cue ball, 6 ball and the 4 ball { ball closest to the cue ball} I felt the shot was not available. It appears to me the the 4 ball blocks the necessary line to the 6 ball. It appears that the 6 ball cannot be hit any thinner on the low side of the ball} than a full hit, which if true does not allow the cue ball to get low enough on the side rail to make this shot. I used a straight edge to determine this. The fact that RM did not choose the shot makes me further believe the shot would not go.
Second I feel like Bill Stroud called the shot very well and while no one wants to give him a cookie I feel he deserves something. So Bill Im giving you a pizza with a maximum of 3 toppings of your choice. Keith

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
You co-commentated that match with Danny D. and said "oh what a great shot, that's a super super shot, that's a super shot. Oh my. The execution of that shot was just about as perfect as you could hit it. What a great shot that was.".

I guess it was a good shot eh Bill?:) (Good for Martinez or Efren).

Dennis

No you're wrong, it's a fair shot for Reyes and Martinez.:D