Incardona vs. Mathews 1994 Roanoke

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I cannot leave the shot the way Frank suggested (no offense Frank as you probably spot me a couple balls). Whether the guy double banks the 7 or just thins it, the 7 is ending up closer to his pocket and the cue ball will have cover, you would be setting yourself up for a worse situation then you already were in before.

What has stuck with me is seeing the table after you shoot, what your opponent will be left with and what he will do in return to you. I think that is what separates the great players from the okie dokie players, looking a little deeper and further into the game, not shooting the first shot that jumps at you or your comfortable with.

I like Billy's shot, making sure to hit the left edge of the 8 or even the striped ball by the 8 is okay to run into also, you do not want to over spin this ball or you will sell the farm.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Frank Almanza said:
I would be delighted if he tried to double bank the seven ball from there.

Fast Lenny said:
It depends on who he is and if the guy can bank he is going to get it close and get the cue ball down table with the balls in the center covering it, if he makes it he continues to run out.

This is a really good shot and easy to accomplish. If you use spin and not draw the CB should end near the opposite side pocket. ;)
Rod.
PS, I have no idea what Billy shot. It looks like the only shots are the 3 & 7 balls. In no particular order.

Last edited:

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
To me, given the score the cueball belongs under the pile. I'm would be looking at how to do it off the 7, if it is no good I am looking off the one.

FWIW I wouldn't go to try and freeze him to the rail here as I want him to have the option to leave me under for another chance to get balls out of play...If he needs 8, I like knowing way less than that are in play. All other things being equal, you have an advantage.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
I probably shot off the 7 ball with 1 tip of left english and tried to position the cue ball near or frozen to the 8 ball. That shot is a little risky but with good control of the cue ball it was a possible option I may have tried.

Billy I.
Always go with your first shot:p .

BI's Safe.jpg

CapturedPicture_6.Jpeg

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
That's a funny story. The answer to your question is no I don't remember what I shot, but i'm leaning to the shot off the 7 ball cue ball toward the 8 ball. For some reason I believe that I shot that shot because I usually hit that shot well.

Billy I.

I like that shot the best and its pretty easy shot for a player too execuite.

I dont think you shot that shot. If you did then you will no why I made you a 50 to 1 favorite.

You sure you dont remember what wappened. Because the position off the ball should remind you.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
fred bentivegna said:
vapros...... or I might thin the 7 with inside english, banking the 7 across to my side and sending the CB back toward the 3. The 7 ball will be a problem until you move it.

...somebody with a onepocket brain. It aint a great response, but its the simplest, sanest response to a tuff situation. It might buy you some time to escape completely later.

BEard[/QUOTE]
Playing the game of one pocket there are certain shots that continually reappear, the possible cross bank on the 7 ball is one of them. From the picture on the table it looks like the kiss is possible to miss, especially if struck with no english. But if struck with inside engish I wouldn't be sending the cue ball away from the 7 ball and the kiss looked inevitable. I looked at the shot Vapros suggested and Freddie endorsed very hard and long and determined that the kiss was there. But banking the 7 ball softly and repositioning the cue ball close to the 8 ball was available. That shot would be hit with a tip of outside english sending the cue ball away from the banked 7 ball.

I don't know how to explain it but the 7 ball bank is available, that is today. I set it up and after I set it up there was no doubt that there wasn't a kiss. But why couldn't I see that when I was playing Grady? I know that at that time I had a good feel of shots that carried possible kisses and was certain that there was a kiss with this shot. But today I set it up and there clearly isn't a kiss.

Maybe Arties right ..trick photography

Fred there are many options in the situation I was in, but none that are fool-proof. Every option that I can see has possible problems. If the bank on the 7 ball wasn't available what option would you choose?:confused:

Billy I.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Fast Lenny said:
Hey Dennis, can we see the return shot from Grady, I am thinking he put Billy in a worse spot from there. :cool:
He tried to cut the 7 in his pocket and missed the entire ball. Cueball went back and forth, hit the 7 and left Bill here.

GM's Shot.jpg

CapturedPicture_1.Jpeg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
He tried to cut the 7 in his pocket and missed the entire ball. Cueball went back and forth, hit the 7 and left Bill here.

View attachment 2720

View attachment 2721
You said he tried to cut the 7 ball in his pocket, yet your illustration clearly shows a different shot. I'm surprised he didn't double bank the 7 ball, which leads me to believe that the picture we see now is not the way the players saw it back then. And also the way I saw the bank on the 7 ball that led to this shot.:confused:

Anyways I do remember what I did here, and it brought a response from Grady that made me giggle.

I evaluated the situation in terms of the score and ball position and shot a shot that surprised everyone, especially Grady. I will never forget the shot and what Grady said to me after I shot.:eek:

Billy I.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
wincardona said:
You said he tried to cut the 7 ball in his pocket, yet your illustration clearly shows a different shot. I'm surprised he didn't double bank the 7 ball, which leads me to believe that the picture we see now is not the way the players saw it back then. And also the way I saw the bank on the 7 ball that led to this shot.:confused:

Anyways I do remember what I did here, and it brought a response from Grady that made me giggle.

I evaluated the situation in terms of the score and ball position and shot a shot that surprised everyone, especially Grady. I will never forget the shot and what Grady said to me after I shot.:eek:

Billy I.
the obvious (to me) would be to bank the seven pocket speed and send the q down towards the lower left corner as we face the table (gradys side up table corner)
if you felt you would make it play position for the 10

dennis you know you will have to eventually show us what billy shot and then we can hear the story:)
gb1.jpg

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
dennis you know you will have to eventually show us what billy shot and then we can hear the story:)
Billy jacked up a little and banked the 14 ball uptable and drew the cueball down near His Professorship's pocket thereby seeming to annoy him. If Buddy Hall had not been giggling like a schoolgirl into the microphone I would be able to tell you every word exchanged between BI & GM. As it is, I cannot.

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
Billy jacked up a little and banked the 14 ball uptable and drew the cueball down near His Professorship's pocket thereby seeming to annoy him. If Buddy Hall had not been giggling like a schoolgirl into the microphone I would be able to tell you every word exchanged between BI & GM. As it is, I cannot.

Dennis
seems like the best way to play the score
move em up table
billy looks like its your turn now:)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Frank's play

Frank's play

Fred there are many options in the situation I was in, but none that are fool-proof. Every option that I can see has possible problems. If the bank on the 7 ball wasn't available what option would you choose?:confused:

Billy I.[/QUOTE]

If I didnt play the 7 cross corner with inside eng. I would probably shoot Frank Almanza's shot -- but with much trepidation. I would be banking the 1 into the stack and hoping that one or more balls move to my side enough to where he doesnt have a free bank to win the game. Its a very risky shot because you usually leave a straight back some kind of way. Much gamble attached to it.

Beard

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
...somebody with a onepocket brain. It aint a great response, but its the simplest, sanest response to a tuff situation. It might buy you some time to escape completely later.

BEard
Playing the game of one pocket there are certain shots that continually reappear, the possible cross bank on the 7 ball is one of them. From the picture on the table it looks like the kiss is possible to miss, especially if struck with no english. But if struck with inside engish I wouldn't be sending the cue ball away from the 7 ball and the kiss looked inevitable. I looked at the shot Vapros suggested and Freddie endorsed very hard and long and determined that the kiss was there. But banking the 7 ball softly and repositioning the cue ball close to the 8 ball was available. That shot would be hit with a tip of outside english sending the cue ball away from the banked 7 ball.

I don't know how to explain it but the 7 ball bank is available, that is today. I set it up and after I set it up there was no doubt that there wasn't a kiss. But why couldn't I see that when I was playing Grady? I know that at that time I had a good feel of shots that carried possible kisses and was certain that there was a kiss with this shot. But today I set it up and there clearly isn't a kiss.

Billy I.[/QUOTE]

I would cut the one ball yeyt thin. If not then I would taka intentional scratch If I was Grady.

Unless he ca English bank the one ball. Withch he might be able too do.

But the shots look different on camera then live. But hutting the one all very yhin will out Billy back in trouble

Or taken g a scratch is ok to. And Billy can bank the one ball up table on his next shot.

But that Will put him in bigger trouble. Thay is what I would shoot. But I guess Grady loves too shoot.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
wincardona said:

Billy I.

My bad, Grady did try to cut the 7 ball, it looked like he played a safety and that really confused me. But after I took a closer look at your lines I realized that he did try to cut the 7 in. Plus I was his opponent and I still didn't remember. John Henderson is right when he said that one day you'll be the old dog.:eek:

Billy I.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:

Billy I.

I would cut the one ball yeyt thin. If not then I would taka intentional scratch If I was Grady.

Unless he ca English bank the one ball. Withch he might be able too do.

But the shots look different on camera then live. But hutting the one all very yhin will out Billy back in trouble

Or taken g a scratch is ok to. And Billy can bank the one ball up table on his next shot.

But that Will put him in bigger trouble. Thay is what I would shoot. But I guess Grady loves too shoot.[/QUOTE]

Your ahead 6 to nothing I guess. I cant shoot anything else to realy keep you tied up.

And I have too keep the balls were I can run some balls and get back in the game.

If not you will shoot the balls down thee other end and iy by by for me.

That shot will make you shoot the one ball thier is nothing else you can relay do from that position.

Look at it and tell me what you are going too do and then on my next shot you will be down thier again with the balls all open for me.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
wincardona said:

Billy I.
well????????
what did grady say???
you can pm me if you wish:rolleyes:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
lll said:
well????????
what did grady say???
you can pm me if you wish:rolleyes:

What did Grady say YOU GOT TOO SHOOT. Or did you ask that qouistion when comontating with Grady?

Grady didnt say anything yet. Maybe he is waithing too see who won the match?

What Did he say. THat he thinks the world off you. I no he didnt say nice shot Pittsburg Billy.

Billy your a gambler you dont belong in Tournements. Your a money player not a Trouph player.

Now its ok Because its more fun and you dont have too make a living playing pool.

And pool has changed quite a bite. And Eral is playing real good. He is in tip top shape.

He is going to play Dippys man Alex 10 ball. Whats the odds on that match.

Shooting is your long suite. Does Eral have any chance?