How good was/is Rob Melrose?

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
It's got a bit quiet on the forum so I thought I'd start this thread.

Has anyone seen Rob play in his prime? How good was he? To hear him talk you'd think he was the greatest but I somehow doubt that's true. I seem to recall he learned one pocket from Johnny Ervolino who himself was probably a ball or two under the then top players.

Any stories about Rob are very welcome, too!

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
When Rob was playing every day he was one of the top players in Florida, 9 ball and 1P. He ran over me a few times but that’s not hard to do.

Kybanks

Verified Member
I did play him some at the Derby years back. He played real good! He was also a complete gentleman when we played. I would think Dr Bill can give more insight into this.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I knew Rob in the nineties. He would come into our room in Pompano Beach (Q-stix). He would give up like 9/7 to most of the good players in the room. prolly won more than he lost. Very loud and boisterous though, hard to take for too long.:rolleyes:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Never saw him play personally but when he was posting here frequently most members gave him a lot of respect. I always had in the back of my mind that he was maybe the best player we have as member but icbw and that was a few years back. Steve has his picture in his one pocket book. :)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The video of him arguing with Dennis at DCC during their gambling match is epic.
As i recall rob got dennis to bet him against the 10 ball ghost
where rob broke and if he didnt run out they played the game out
i dont know if it was ball in hand after the break or not
i dont remeber what the race was to
for rob this was stealing because he could easily beat the 10 ball ghost (gives you an idea how good he played )
rob being fat and not looking the poolplayer dennis thought he had the nuts
Dennis realized he was in a bad game made a bad bet and when the score got even he took his cue apart to get his money back and end the set
thats when the above happened
feel free to correct me if i “misremembered”

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
As i recall rob got dennis to bet him against the 10 ball ghost
where rob broke and if he didnt run out they played the game out
i dont know if it was ball in hand after the break or not
i dont remeber what the race was to
for rob this was stealing because he could easily beat the 10 ball ghost (gives you an idea how good he played )
rob being fat and not looking the poolplayer dennis thought he had the nuts
Dennis realized he was in a bad game made a bad bet and when the score got even he took his cue apart to get his money back and end the set
thats when the above happened
feel free to correct me if i “misremembered”

It was a REAL chicken shit move by DO! NO class!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I didn't re-watch the video, but if I recall the beef was that they were playing an "ahead" set. So like 5 ahead or 8 ahead, whatever the bet was. When DO realized he was in a bad game, when he got back to even, he quit. However, that is not an ahead set, they were supposed to play until someone got to 8 or whatever they were playing to. Quitting beforehand is ok if both players agree but obviously Rob wanted to continue so I am with those who said that was a bad move on DO's part. Or if you really want to quit, no problem, but you forfeit the bet, you shouldn't get any money back.

just my 2 cents

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I didn't re-watch the video, but if I recall the beef was that they were playing an "ahead" set. So like 5 ahead or 8 ahead, whatever the bet was. When DO realized he was in a bad game, when he got back to even, he quit. However, that is not an ahead set, they were supposed to play until someone got to 8 or whatever they were playing to. Quitting beforehand is ok if both players agree but obviously Rob wanted to continue so I am with those who said that was a bad move on DO's part. Or if you really want to quit, no problem, but you forfeit the bet, you shouldn't get any money back.

just my 2 cents
Jay helfert tried to defend dennis saying in the phillipines its ok to quit even in an ahead set
that didnt fly because dennis had been gambling in the states to know better

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Jay helfert tried to defend dennis saying in the phillipines its ok to quit even in an ahead set
thatbdisntnfly because dennis had been gambling in the states to know better

Yes, he knew better. No doubt about that. Jay and Dennis are very tight, and I recall Jay trying to soothe things a bit, by offering The Hacker some good will money out of his stack, like four or five hundred, maybe. I can't remember. Don't know how that played out...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I believe that was in Tunica at one of Greg's events. I played in the tournament, but did not watch the late night match. Rob trapped Dennis in a set of 10 ball. When Dennis realized it, he wanted out. He whined and cried like a little girl until Rob gave him some of the stakes money back. I haven't liked Orcullo since.

That was also the action room will Bill I. played SVB some 1 ball one-pocket for $1K a game. Very interesting game.