5 rack game?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thought it was time to revive this thread, some good stuff in here, thanks for all who have participated with vids and/or comments.

I was trying some 5 rack ghost for a day or two and ended up giving up and just doing one rack ghost lol. Basically the same thing but just going for one rack, seeing how many I can get. Now I remember why this game is so hard, the break is everything!

After hours of attempts over a few day period, my record was 9. I probably have 50 "6's" and so many 0's, 1's and 2's.

Last night I beat my record and got to 12. I am determined to get a 15, especially with these 4.5" pockets! Dave makes it look so easy. :)

Here is my 12.

This is not my normal break, I hit it bad and ended up closer to the footrail instead of the middle of the table where I try to get.

PS - Larry I turned the volume down to 40% but you can still hear the chalk pretty loud lol.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I think Gabe busted the ghost game at the Derby one year. I wasn't there, but maybe one of our members can elaborate?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Cincy,
You now have a table! Wow, and now joining in with a vid ! I rreally like watching members play than pros, any day!
One thing I've found out about working on this game to keep the frustration factor down plus still get a good practice out of it, is when the break is not working, I then take ball in hand anywhere, to live another day!

I needed this, and I am in, for I need to start hitting the game of 5 rack again! When I get somewhat in stroke, I'll give a video a go.
thanks, great run, great vid, and thanks for reviving this thread!
Whitey

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Thought it was time to revive this thread, some good stuff in here, thanks for all who have participated with vids and/or comments.

I was trying some 5 rack ghost for a day or two and ended up giving up and just doing one rack ghost lol. Basically the same thing but just going for one rack, seeing how many I can get. Now I remember why this game is so hard, the break is everything!

After hours of attempts over a few day period, my record was 9. I probably have 50 "6's" and so many 0's, 1's and 2's.

Last night I beat my record and got to 12. I am determined to get a 15, especially with these 4.5" pockets! Dave makes it look so easy. :)

Here is my 12.

You running 12's sounds like I need a large spot at Derby...lol

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
nice shooting chris.....(y)
the chalk didnt sound too loud... 😂
in a prior post you mentioned you didnt like the "just a bridge" because it was wobbly
that shot you hit with the bridge was pretty sporty and seemed stable
btw as i mentioned for me the just a bridge is the best for many reasons
one more btw
you are still cincy "the combo kid" to me......;)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Yea, one 12 out of 500 tries isn't bad.

If I kept the video rolling for all hours I spent trying it, you would insist on spotting me. :)

• Haha
Reactions: lll

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
nice shooting chris.....(y)
the chalk didnt sound too loud... 😂
in a prior post you mentioned you didnt like the "just a bridge" because it was wobbly
that shot you hit with the bridge was pretty sporty and seemed stable
btw as i mentioned for me the just a bridge is the best for many reasons
one more btw
you are still cincy "the combo kid" to me......;)
Thanks Larry, yes it works a little better now that I have it a little tighter on the stick, but I do plan on getting a screw in version to use for here.

I made some crazy combos in all my attempts, maybe I need to put together a combo collage lol...

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Cincy,
You now have a table! Wow, and now joining in with a vid ! I rreally like watching members play than pros, any day!
One thing I've found out about working on this game to keep the frustration factor down plus still get a good practice out of it, is when the break is not working, I then take ball in hand anywhere, to live another day!

I needed this, and I am in, for I need to start hitting the game of 5 rack again! When I get somewhat in stroke, I'll give a video a go.
thanks, great run, great vid, and thanks for reviving this thread!
Whitey
Whitey, I went back a couple pages a saw that 3rd ball break you posted where you hit with reverse and the end rail first. I may try that one again just for fun. Thanks.

Again, nice shooting Chris. My opinion is that if you ever get in full stroke you may be the best.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Whitey, I went back a couple pages a saw that 3rd ball break you posted where you hit with reverse and the end rail first. I may try that one again just for fun. Thanks.

Again, nice shooting Chris. My opinion is that if you ever get in full stroke you may be the best.

LOL, thanks for that, although the truth is far from it. I appreciate it greatly though!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I tried that 3rd ball break that Whitey introduced and I tried a couple pages back with inside english. It did not work on my newly redone table with new balls, I kept getting doubled and tripled up or had a real tough starting shot from the rail. I broke 8 times and didn't make one ball. I changed things up and started hitting the 3rd ball with either high center or high with a little bit of outside to get the cueball near the center of the table.

This was my high run using that break and I may have touched the 4th ball a little too, not sure but they broke better. It takes a little longer than my usual runs because I dropped my chalk and whined, which all takes time. LOL I'm still whining as I thought I made a good decision to bank that 12th ball to open all the balls up, but NOOOOOOO, Enjoy. (I forgot how tiring this was)

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Seems to me got a 60 in 5 racks, which I don't think has been duplicated. That's a phenomenal score. Someone can confirm...
I haven't heard anyone doing better for the cash, but I think John Schmidt mentioned to me he ran a 70 or something close. I did see a video of him shooting (3) 15s consecutively so I believe him. Wow!!!!

• Wow

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I tried that 3rd ball break that Whitey introduced and I tried a couple pages back with inside english. It did not work on my newly redone table with new balls, I kept getting doubled and tripled up or had a real tough starting shot from the rail. I broke 8 times and didn't make one ball. I changed things up and started hitting the 3rd ball with either high center or high with a little bit of outside to get the cueball near the center of the table.

This was my high run using that break and I may have touched the 4th ball a little too, not sure but they broke better. It takes a little longer than my usual runs because I dropped my chalk and whined, which all takes time. LOL I'm still whining as I thought I made a good decision to bank that 12th ball to open all the balls up, but NOOOOOOO, Enjoy. (I forgot how tiring this was)

nice shooting dave
you got a brutal roll
at 4:05 why didnt you come up for the 4 ball before going for the bank?

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
nice shooting dave
you got a brutal roll
at 4:05 why didnt you come up for the 4 ball before going or the bank?
I thought about it, but that would leave me 2 banks to end it. I think I did the right thing as I was guaranteed to have a shot on the 4 ...until they lined up. Grrr 😂🤣 the decision was because I wanted to run 15. Thanks

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I thought about it, but that would leave me 2 banks to end it. I think I did the right thing as I was guaranteed to have a shot on the 4 ...until they lined up. Grrr 😂🤣 the decision was because I wanted to run 15. Thanks
thanks for the reply
if you ran 15 then noone would play you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😂 😂;)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Great run Dave! Trying to 1 up me I see lol, just kidding, you had another 15 there!

Love the 8 bank, nice touch!

Great camera angle by the way at your new place, thanks for sharing!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
thanks for the reply
if you ran 15 then noone would play you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😂 😂;)
I got lucky to make that long rail 8 ball bank and then again when I just avoided a scratch with perfect shape, but I thought I was going to run the 15 once I got perfect on the bank of the 13th ball to remove that ball from the rail. Then the pool gods kicked in. LOL

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Great run Dave! Trying to 1 up me I see lol, just kidding, you had another 15 there!

Love the 8 bank, nice touch!

Great camera angle by the way at your new place, thanks for sharing!
Not trying to one-up you, I just wanted to revisit that break and I was fortunate to have a good run, sorry.