5 rack game?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Not trying to one-up you, I just wanted to revisit that break and I was fortunate to have a good run, sorry.
haha I know, I was kidding..

You have a super smooth stroke, no wonder you won an MOT and finish near the top in those you play in.

Keep em coming! I will try some more this weekend for sure if not sooner.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
haha I know, I was kidding..

You have a super smooth stroke, no wonder you won an MOT and finish near the top in those you play in.

Keep em coming! I will try some more this weekend for sure if not sooner.
No more weight for you. And as far as Dave goes, the only time I beat him it took a miracle shot from the pool gods. Gotta love Dave's game.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
No more weight for you. And as far as Dave goes, the only time I beat him it took a miracle shot from the pool gods. Gotta love Dave's game.
Ha! Again, if it was non stop rolling you would see all the 0s 1s and 2s I got. With enough tries, anyone can do it!

I have been trying to think how we should play next. Correct me if I am wrong.

First time - you gave me 9/7 and the breaks and we broke even except I win the last game for who pays time

Second time - you gave me 9/7 alternate breaks and we broke even except I win the last game for who pays time

Third time - you gave me 8/7 alternate breaks and you beat me like 6 games winner.

What's the next adjustment?

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Ha! Again, if it was non stop rolling you would see all the 0s 1s and 2s I got. With enough tries, anyone can do it!

I have been trying to think how we should play next. Correct me if I am wrong.

First time - you gave me 9/7 and the breaks and we broke even except I win the last game for who pays time

Second time - you gave me 9/7 alternate breaks and we broke even except I win the last game for who pays time

Third time - you gave me 8/7 alternate breaks and you beat me like 6 games winner.

What's the next adjustment?
Even :ROFLMAO:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Just curious, what do you think Alex or any top pro could do without taking BIH and shoot from where it ends up?
1. I think without bih after the break 23 would be extremely difficult for anyone.
2. It's a stone cold trap for some people, they shoot like you did at a number way too high, then adjust several times , then when they are tired. and stuck like a pig, they finally get to shoot at the real number, and still can't get there.
3. I have seen some pretty good players shoot 10s and 12s for a few hours, lol. It all depends on the break . Thats why no one who knows it, would play it without bih,. unless there are other factors.
I was told Nick Varner invented this game. anybody know for positive?
I edited my Filler part of the thread, I can't add any more , I thought 5 racks was 50 balls lol, sheesh,
No wonder pvclou is bashing my brains in at chess.

Last edited:

kanzzo

Verified Member
Just curious, what do you think Alex or any top pro could do without taking BIH and shoot from where it ends up?
I have a dvd from Jay Helfert from 2011 Derby City One Pocket challenge. (Available here.) Exactly the rules you described. No BIH after the break. Alex ran 15 and out on 6 out of 25 tries. Having 52,53 and 55 out of 6 tries to get maximum score in 5 innings each. (Mika Immonen won the challenge that year with 58, John Schmidt had a 52. So out of 3 tries to get 45-50 with no BIH is probably even money for a top player.)
here are all the exact runs from this challenge from Alex Pagulayan:
3,14,10,13,13(53)
7,13,0--
6,15,1,3-
2,15,8,15,12(52)
15,3,3--
15,3,13,15,9(55)

(his best five consecutive innings would be 15,8,15,12,15 (65) 😅)

Last edited:

kanzzo

Verified Member
I know we talked about this in another thread somewhere but seeing Dave's / Bill's run out videos reminded me of the infamous 5 rack ghost game so I had to bring it up.

For those that are not familiar with it, it's a game that involves only one player against the ghost. You rack the balls, choose your pocket and then break. Wherever the Cue Ball ends up after your break is where you shoot from. You then shoot balls into your pocket until you miss.

You do this for 5 racks in a row and total your score.

Things to note:

- If you scratch on the break, you start with BIH behind the head string and with a score of -1
- You can choose to break them like one pocket but harder or more of an 8 ball break, or whatever you want, but obviously CB control is everything.
- sometimes, after your break you may freeze on a ball or just have no shot whatsoever, so for some racks, you may get 0

So 2 players could gamble by having one player shoot at a number.

I personally have only gambled at it one time (and then I learned my lesson lol).

I started by shooting at 17 I think...got stuck, adjusted to 15, then 13, then 11. I think I ended up going busted shooting at 9 haha...I will tell you it's harder than it may seem since you dont get to take BIH after the break.

I am pretty sure some of the top pros will shoot at 45 or 50 which just blows my mind!

Anyway, if you have played it before and you don't mind sharing, let us know what you shot at or what you think you would shoot at and/or any other experiences you may have had with it.

Plus, if Dave, Whitey, Bill or anyone else with a camera wants to post their 5 rack ghost as a video here, it would be neat to see some! If you do, don't do a cut after each rack, leave it all as one video so we know you really did it in the 5 racks (instead of doing 50 racks and only showing your best 5 racks) :)

What would you guys shoot at for the money?
My personal best with BIH is 38 (I think, could be 37). For break even betting I think 25 is losing money for me but possibble if playing my best.

I get my table redone in a few weeks making pockets a little bigger (4 1/2" insted of 4 1/8"). Hope I can beat Poolmonsters 54 (as personal best in 100+ tries) on video and have a 40+ without BIH.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
My personal best with BIH is 38 (I think, could be 37). For break even betting I think 25 is losing money for me but possibble if playing my best.

I get my table redone in a few weeks making pockets a little bigger (4 1/2" insted of 4 1/8"). Hope I can beat Poolmonsters 54 (as personal best in 100+ tries) on video and have a 40+ without BIH.
That's impressive numbers! I don't have the patience or skill to do 5 racks lol...so I have been just practicing trying to see how many I can get in 1 rack then start over. My best so far are the two 12 runs I posted here. Goal is 15 someday lol!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
then I am looking forward to your recorded tries. You can start by beating my 37. Then I have a reason to practice and come back 😅
Haha, I said I have no patience for 5 racks, I guess I need to start a new thread for 1 rack ghost so people can post their best 1 rack attempts without BIH. I think Dave got a 15 or two somewhere in here...you have at least a 12 as seen in the above video..

kanzzo

Verified Member
As you said, its a little different with BIH after the break. 5 racks is like 25-30 balls. Schould be less than 20 min. The problem is less the patience but living with all the 1 and 2 balls runs in between ruining your overall score 😅

But everyone trying it, knows it's just part of the game.

But I do like the idea of the thread and sharing the runs. And I know the frustrating feeling when trying to get a nice score in 5 innings and ruining it every second inning. I think, this is exactly what makes it such a great practice game.

kanzzo

Verified Member
I guess I need to start a new thread for 1 rack ghost so people can post their best 1 rack attempts without BIH.
Problem with 1 rack ghost: you can't beat your record once you had a 15 :D

You can always beat your record having 5 inning game. Even John Schmidt's 72...

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
So looking back to find when I scratched on the break the first 2 racks playing 5 rack, i found this one. A score of 20...I laughed, I cried 🤣😂🤣

Note this was before we moved. My table had huge pockets of about 4.75". We have since moved and had work done on our table to 4.25" drop pockets instead of return.

Post in thread '5 rack game?' https://onepocket.org/forum/index.php?threads/5-rack-game.430229/post-449746

Last edited:

BRLongArm

Verified Member
On 4.25 inch pockets, in humid conditions, I would let most amateurs shoot at 25 with BIH. Like Billy Jackets says, this game will wear you down. Even Alex had two out five sessions where he just quit after three innings. Top players can shoot in the 40s in these conditions, but on 4.5 inch pockets, they can blow 50 away.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
One year at Buffalos, I had the whole rail on while Dennis shot at 44 on the TV table. He quit after four tries. 0-4. He only lost $800, but some pros went off betting on him. Every year, I let Alex play it to get in stroke for $200 a set. We keep a running tab all week until the tournament. He comes in and finds me, and we start him at 42. If he wins, it goes up a ball, if he loses, it's the same unless he loses two in a row. A few years ago, he hadn't been playing and he was stuck on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. By Thursday, though, he was in stroke and got it back to 44. He won all his money back and I let him go, but another gambler picked it up, and bet $500 a set instead of $200. Alex won 4 sets in a row and ended it. When he is in stroke, he destroys 44.

Last edited: