2020 Members Only Tournament (MoT) - Room Nominations

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Ok I got an answer from Chris at California Billyards, 8 9’ diamond tables by them selves, 20 other tables 9’ available for play and he said anytime.

Good! You were texting me asking me about hosting it, I am glad you found the correct Chris in this instance. :)

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I am ready to play wherever! I missed the last 2 MOTs and I need to see you guys again!!!
I thought about you the other night when I was watching a video of German gals taste testing American beers over there...Guess which one both gave the highest possible rating...lol

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
My intent is to put up a final poll for our 2020 member only tournament this weekend -- so let's get those proposals together! I like the idea of going somewhere new, so if you are a "regular" at any rooms near you that have at least 12 tables and airport/hotel/food access reasonably convenient, then jump on in!!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'm more than happy to be the Lacy’s volunteer. If we used 12 tables what time would we start, 10am? I’ll go to Lacy’s Monday and talk to them. I did have a phone conversation with them and they are interested.

John or some Bay Area member needs to nominate California Billiards
I believe we came up with a noon start if there are 12 tables. Opening the pool room early for practice would be ideal. The bottom line is all 32 (max) players will play two complete matches Friday, win or lose, two matches each player on Friday keeps us on track to finish reasonably on Sunday. Also, by starting and finishing our matches early Friday, as night time local traffic rolls in, more tables will open up to local poolroom customers to a degree at least, which helps the hosting poolroom. And most of our members still get a reasonable bedtime if they want lol. Or we stay up and gamble -- either way it is win-win ;)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
My intent is to put up a final poll for our 2020 member only tournament this weekend -- so let's get those proposals together! I like the idea of going somewhere new, so if you are a "regular" at any rooms near you that have at least 12 tables and airport/hotel/food access reasonably convenient, then jump on in!!
Who do we have so far? Michaels (youngstownkid), Lacys (pilotjim), Chris's (Ghost), CA Billiards (Kentucky), any others?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I'm a homer but Cali Billiards is a great venue. The owner Chris Swart does support One Pocket dot Org and will probably add money. He also gets us a great room rate at the Holiday Inn for about $100/night which includes a breakfast. Now it's on the west coast so it is not centrally located but for playing in a great room with added money and a safe hotel to stay in, you cannot do better than that. And, as an added feature we all get to hang with Sizzor Bill AKA Kentucky Bill..............What could be better than that? = answer >>>

Chris's Billiard's.....and, as an added feature, you all get to hang (and gamble) with Chicago Mike, Chicago Fats, Johnnytronic, J.R. and the Ghost (y) :) 🙃 (y)

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I love Chris’s but I don’t like the accommodations. Last time most of us stayed at the airport and it was a trip and a half getting back and forth.

TxOnePocket

Verified Member
From
Arlington,Texas -
I thought some came on earlier in these discussions and said OP.org as a site voted to rotate around the country, where have the last three rooms used been and I'm not counting Houston/Boogies because that was 65+. SO far in this thread I see mostly the same few humping for there humping for there home/and or favorite rooms.

Griffs has came to this thread and offered Vegas
Chris's Chi-Town same thing
California Billiards same thing with mucho tables
Lacys in LA, I believe Newkirk approved

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
When considering Cali Billiards, is it not correct that we will have the use of 16 tables for Friday on through until Saturday afternoon, whereas our use needs drop to 12 tables? This is how it was for the 2018 MOT. Plus they opened up early to accommodate our schedule.

Also I am confused as to why there is going to be a poll. I do not recall a poll taken before. I thought the idea was to move east to west south to north and so forth. I am very much ok with Steve's call being the deciding factor as to where we play! Otherwise our first choice would be probably near our area. If the poll is set up for a 1st choice and a 2nd choice then this might alleviate those just voting for their area.

For instance, being from the west coast my 1st choice would probably be Cali Billiards, 2nd choice ? 2nd choice might be south for I believe MOT might not of gone there, or for a pool hall that we have not used before, or what I considered the 2nd best choice. But 1st & 2nd choice could be added together to get the leader in the poll. JMHO.

Another thing, the pool halls that have been nominated, their location is never mentioned. I do not even know what state they are in. Whitey

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
When considering Cali Billiards, is it not correct that we will have the use of 16 tables for Friday on through until Saturday afternoon, whereas our use needs drop to 12 tables? This is how it was for the 2018 MOT. Plus they opened up early to accommodate our schedule.

Also I am confused as to why there is going to be a poll. I do not recall a poll taken before. I thought the idea was to move east to west south to north and so forth. I am very much ok with Steve's call being the deciding factor as to where we play! Otherwise our first choice would be probably near our area. If the poll is set up for a 1st choice and a 2nd choice then this might alleviate those just voting for their area.

For instance, being from the west coast my 1st choice would probably be Cali Billiards, 2nd choice ? 2nd choice might be south for I believe MOT might not of gone there, or for a pool hall that we have not used before, or what I considered the 2nd best choice. But 1st & 2nd choice could be added together to get the leader in the poll. JMHO.

Another thing, the pool halls that have been nominated, their location is never mentioned. I do not even know what state they are in. Whitey
We have definitely had voting for this in prior years -- that is how we decided. I am in favor of new locations; and new locations are absolutely invited to propose. For any room being considered we need these basics confirmed for consideration:

• Name and location of poolroom and the explicit support of the room owner
  • Number of tables and what type (12 seems to be our minimum, and 12 means an earlier start on Friday)
  • Greens fees (if any) and money added (if any)
  • A member here who is willing to be our local liaison during the lead-up and a sometimes concierge when we are there
  • Reasonable proximity to a major airline airport
  • Hotel options
  • Food options for the weekend (in house and nearby)
  • Is the room smoking or non-smoking?
  • Wifi availability suitable for live stream?

What about Florida? I am still working on up here in New England for one of these years. What about Ohio? The Carolinas or Georgia? One of Arizona's rooms? I am sure there are others out there also!

I'm wondering if we should start early like noon on Friday no matter the number of tables, so that the hosting room will still be able to draw in much of there regular heavy Friday night business. By Saturday and Sunday nights our table demands diminish anyway. This thought is for the host room owner, so it does not cost them to host us in that manner. Of course we bring a lot of business also, because we all have to eat, drink something and we are there for several days, and if we are there we are well off enough to have made the trip anyway.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
We have definitely had voting for this in prior years -- that is how we decided. I am in favor of new locations; and new locations are absolutely invited to propose. For any room being considered we need these basics confirmed for consideration:

• Name and location of poolroom and the explicit support of the room owner
  • Number of tables and what type (12 seems to be our minimum, and 12 means an earlier start on Friday)
  • Greens fees (if any) and money added (if any)
  • A member here who is willing to be our local liaison during the lead-up and a sometimes concierge when we are there
  • Reasonable proximity to a major airline airport
  • Hotel options
  • Food options for the weekend (in house and nearby)
  • Is the room smoking or non-smoking?
  • Wifi availability suitable for live stream?

What about Florida? I am still working on up here in New England for one of these years. What about Ohio? The Carolinas or Georgia? One of Arizona's rooms? I am sure there are others out there also!

I'm wondering if we should start early like noon on Friday no matter the number of tables, so that the hosting room will still be able to draw in much of there regular heavy Friday night business. By Saturday and Sunday nights our table demands diminish anyway. This thought is for the host room owner, so it does not cost them to host us in that manner. Of course we bring a lot of business also, because we all have to eat, drink something and we are there for several days, and if we are there we are well off enough to have made the trip anyway.
Ocala florida is not within 20 minutes of an airport, but I know Don Kreicher would be interested since I talked to him when southhaven cancelled on us. Do we have any florida player that knows him or could be the rep?
I believe his room is called boulevard billiards.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Ocala florida is not within 20 minutes of an airport, but I know Don Kreicher would be interested since I talked to him when southhaven cancelled on us. Do we have any florida player that knows him or could be the rep?
I believe his room is called boulevard billiards.
I don't think 20 minutes needs to be the cut off. But hours away would definitely be a problem.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I thought some came on earlier in these discussions and said OP.org as a site voted to rotate around the country, where have the last three rooms used been and I'm not counting Houston/Boogies because that was 65+. SO far in this thread I see mostly the same few humping for there humping for there home/and or favorite rooms.

Griffs has came to this thread and offered Vegas
Chris's Chi-Town same thing
California Billiards same thing with mucho tables
Lacys in LA, I believe Newkirk approved
This is correct, we have had 4 so far and they have been in different locations around the country (all decided by member polls), you can see the exact places and results here:

2016 - Lacy's (New Orleans area)
2017 - Chris's (Chitown)
2018 - Cali Billiards (Cali)
2019 - Bluegrass Billiards (Philly)
2020 - ?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

Polls have been involved every year Whitey. IIRC, we ask that only members who plan on attending vote so that it can give an idea of turnout early on as well. However, I cant remember if we did the first and second choice but if we didn't I like that idea personally for the reasons you stated.