1st Annual Super Senior Social Security Open One Pocket Classic Championship

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Not that I'm terribly concerned about getting more entrants ( we have 12 paid and a promise by one, so 13 ) but has anyone posted Johns Flyer anywhere other than onepocket.org, or mentioned that this is an open invitation to everyone who is 70 years old or older?

Might be nice to get the word out thru as many channels as soon as possible, so we can fill it up ( 24 entrants max ) and get on with the other arrangements that are usually associated with tournaments, such as room bookings, flight arrangements, local promotions and advertising with a list of the fields entrants, and so on.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, I am not a member of AZ, or any other pool related site, so I can't do it.

Thanks,

Jeff Sparks

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Not that I'm terribly concerned about getting more entrants ( we have 12 paid and a promise by one, so 13 ) but has anyone posted Johns Flyer anywhere other than onepocket.org, or mentioned that this is an open invitation to everyone who is 70 years old or older?

Might be nice to get the word out thru as many channels as soon as possible, so we can fill it up ( 24 entrants max ) and get on with the other arrangements that are usually associated with tournaments, such as room bookings, flight arrangements, local promotions and advertising with a list of the fields entrants, and so on.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, I am not a member of AZ, or any other pool related site, so I can't do it.

Thanks,

Jeff Sparks

It has been posted on Az, goplaypool.com and several of the pool rooms around the country's Facebook pages. Pool players, even us old ones just don't move very fast when it comes to signing up for tournaments. I am sure we will get the limit or close to it.

I told John Rizzo yesterday I would keep updating the flyer and the player list from time to time to help keep interest up.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
It has been posted on Az, goplaypool.com and several of the pool rooms around the country's Facebook pages. Pool players, even us old ones just don't move very fast when it comes to signing up for tournaments. I am sure we will get the limit or close to it.

I told John Rizzo yesterday I would keep updating the flyer and the player list from time to time to help keep interest up.

Good news.

Thanks John

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Thanks,

Jeff Sparks
Jeff, I might be "the one". I admit that I've been dragging my feet, sending in the entry fee. It still seems so far off that I'm making sure that nothing unavoidable comes up to conflict with the dates.

But Hendy is right. Pool players always try to wait until the last minute, then they whine if they can't get in. I can almost guarantee you that after the event has filled, there will be a bunch of guys who will bitch and moan, saying, "Why is it only limited to 24???" "We didn't know....":rolleyes::D

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Jeff, I might be "the one". I admit that I've been dragging my feet, sending in the entry fee. It still seems so far off that I'm making sure that nothing unavoidable comes up to conflict with the dates.

But Hendy is right. Pool players always try to wait until the last minute, then they whine if they can't get in. I can almost guarantee you that after the event has filled, there will be a bunch of guys who will bitch and moan, saying, "Why is it only limited to 24???" "We didn't know....":rolleyes::D

~Doc
doc
CMON MAN
$200 you can afford it...:)(lucky you...:D)
even if at the last minute you cant attend
your money added would be appreciated by all the contestants...:D

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California

~Doc

Aside from the competition the reason I'm going is to meet some from this site and others that I only know by reputation. You're one of the persons that I'm looking forward to meet. So send it in and come on down.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Aside from the competition the reason I'm going is to meet some from this site and others that I only know by reputation. You're one of the persons that I'm looking forward to meet. So send it in and come on down.
You're right, of course, and I share your sentiments. It'll be fun to meet you, Jeff, Stroud, K. Bill, and some others I haven't met; also to see my old friends Cardone and Hendy. LSJohn is a lot of fun, and my neighbor Fireman Casey (Casey K.) from Nawlins will be there. Hacker might even show up to do some bottom fishing...

But Larry, those old goats don't need my money, but they'll appreciate a mediocre player who will act as a "bye" for 4 or 5 of the better players.:D

~Doc

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
You're right, of course, and I share your sentiments. It'll be fun to meet you, Jeff, Stroud, K. Bill, and some others I haven't met; also to see my old friends Cardone and Hendy. LSJohn is a lot of fun, and my neighbor Fireman Casey (Casey K.) from Nawlins will be there. Hacker might even show up to do some bottom fishing...

But Larry, those old goats don't need my money, but they'll appreciate a mediocre player who will act as a "bye" for 4 or 5 of the better players.:D

~Doc

Richard Black came into Bogies yesterday to show off a couple of his latest creations. He still makes beautiful cues, and they hit sweet!!

He's 77 now and I asked him when he was going to retire and he said "When they lay me down for good" He still has that youthful enthusiasm when he talks about making cues and I truly envy this man who found a way to make a good living out of something he really loves to do.

I asked him to play in our event, but sadly he declined because of a medical condition he's wrestling with right now. He said he's looking forward to coming though, and seeing old friends. Best of luck with the issue Dick and we'll see you in October.

On the new entry front; I've been approached by several underage people who want to play in the event. None of which have a snowballs chance in hell of winning a match. I've declined entry to all of them, even though they would technically be a bye for whoever drew them. I just believe it would set a bad president regarding entry selection, now and in the future.

Flyboy ( Jimmie Spears ) will be a welcome addition to the field.
Houston Cal has indicated he's going to play also.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

I wish I was older ;)....so I could play and then get beat by my peers. Now if it was a rotation game I'd probably be a lock :p.:lol:sorry

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Richard Black came into Bogies yesterday to show off a couple of his latest creations. He still makes beautiful cues, and they hit sweet!! He's 77 now and I asked him when he was going to retire and he said "When they lay me down for good" ...

... Flyboy ( Jimmie Spears ) will be a welcome addition to the field.

I wonder if Bill Schick is still playin'. I think he would be about 73.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

On the new entry front; I've been approached by several underage people who want to play in the event. None of which have a snowballs chance in hell of winning a match. I've declined entry to all of them, even though they would technically be a bye for whoever drew them. I just believe it would set a bad president regarding entry selection, now and in the future.

Flyboy ( Jimmie Spears ) will be a welcome addition to the field.
Good for you, Jeff. Stick to your guns. If this thing keeps getting press, Buddy Hall might might be enticed...:cool: He turned 70 this year.

~Doc

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Ahhhhhh.....

Ahhhhhh.....

.......I just read some prior posts about this.I take back my question.I have an answer,cheers,James

Bigtruck

Verified Member
I didn't read the entire thread but ..am I invited to this party? :D

Ray

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I didn't read the entire thread but ..am I invited to this party? :D

Ray

Absolutely.

Scrzbill has volunteered to stream. I have no idea whether it would work OK for both of you with both of you. If you think it might be workable, or want to contact Scrzbill by pm here to see whether he might prefer not to take on the task, go for it.

You would know better than I, but I guess if you get it worked out with him, contacting Bogies would be the next step.

Don't take this note as an indication that I'm in charge. Several of us have done a little here and there to dream it up and make it happen, but if there's an "in charge" it's probably either Jeff Sparks here or the manager at Bogies (John Rizzo, I think.)

John Henderson (Hendy here) is in regular contact with Scrzbill (whom you may know as "Kentucky" if you don't recognize "Scrzbill.")

Bigtruck

Verified Member
Absolutely.

Scrzbill has volunteered to stream. I have no idea whether it would work OK for both of you with both of you. If you think it might be workable, or want to contact Scrzbill by pm here to see whether he might prefer not to take on the task, go for it.

You would know better than I, but I guess if you get it worked out with him, contacting Bogies would be the next step.

Don't take this note as an indication that I'm in charge. Several of us have done a little here and there to dream it up and make it happen, but if there's an "in charge" it's probably either Jeff Sparks here or the manager at Bogies (John Rizzo, I think.)

John Henderson (Hendy here) is in regular contact with Scrzbill (whom you may know as "Kentucky" if you don't recognize "Scrzbill.")

OK. Sorry I will step aside.

Ray

Bigtruck

Verified Member
I can be bought off. I was planning to share expenses with JR Hendy so that would have to be addressed. I'm on a road trip this week, Ft Bragg, Minden, Yosemite, Mariposa, so my internet is in and out. send a PM.

I really appreciate it but I will just step aside. I'm sorry to jump in the middle here. I should have read more.

Ray

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Good for you, Jeff. Stick to your guns. If this thing keeps getting press, Buddy Hall might might be enticed...:cool: He turned 70 this year.

~Doc

He's still in Houston and told me today he wants to play in it. Just thought i'd help you all out with another player....lol