2012 One Pocket HOF Call for Nominations

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Steve, I have been unable to recall the name of the guy who supposedly invented One-pocket. It was Jack something. I need his name for my new book. I always knew it, but like many things in my dotage they are no longer at hand.

Beard

I believe it's Jack Hill but would have to check Fats book to be sure. That is the oldest reference to him that I have seen.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I believe it's Jack Hill but would have to check Fats book to be sure. That is the oldest reference to him that I have seen.
Right you are. In Fatty's book, The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies, he writes on p. 39:

The high rollers in Kansas City were talking about a new game they had seen down in Tulsa and Oklahoma City. They called it One Pocket. ... So now I'm bound for Oklahoma City looking for the fellow who invented One Pocket, a fellow by the name of Jack Hill.

Fats isn't good about putting time frames in his narratives. But I'm guessing this story happened in the 1940's. And here all this time I'd thought that 1P was invented by Hayden Lingo...

Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Right you are. In Fatty's book, The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies, he writes on p. 39:

The high rollers in Kansas City were talking about a new game they had seen down in Tulsa and Oklahoma City. They called it One Pocket. ... So now I'm bound for Oklahoma City looking for the fellow who invented One Pocket, a fellow by the name of Jack Hill.

Fats isn't good about putting time frames in his narratives. But I'm guessing this story happened in the 1940's. And here all this time I'd thought that 1P was invented by Hayden Lingo...

Doc
I heard somewhere -- maybe Joanne Jansco -- that George Jansco worked with Hayden Lingo to write down the rules for One Pocket that were used (and first time ever published) for the original 1961 Johnston City One Pocket tournament.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Man, wouldn't you have liked to have been present at THAT session? I'm wondering if Lingo participated in the inaugural 1961 event?

It seems to me that a man & wife couple who were at every Johnston City event later wrote a pretty detailed account of each year. Do you know anything about that?

It still bugs my butt that I was living in Cincinnati from 1962-66, and could have driven over to Johnston City for those events; but I never even knew they were being held. There was simply no communication then, except by word of mouth, until the ABC coverage.:mad:

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I am still waiting for someone to post Ervolino's one pocket beat list. ??? I thought for sure that this forum specialized in beat lists.

Beard

As an aside to John H re his impending Chi trip. I have a new game I play. Its for adults. It is eleven ball bank pool. First one to six. More play than 9 ball, but less strategy than full rack.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I am still waiting for someone to post Ervolino's one pocket beat list. ??? I thought for sure that this forum specialized in beat lists.

Beard

As an aside to John H re his impending Chi trip. I have a new game I play. Its for adults. It is eleven ball bank pool. First one to six. More play than 9 ball, but less strategy than full rack.

Glad to see you back and posting. Eleven ball bank sounds interesting.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Man, wouldn't you have liked to have been present at THAT session? I'm wondering if Lingo participated in the inaugural 1961 event?

It seems to me that a man & wife couple who were at every Johnston City event later wrote a pretty detailed account of each year. Do you know anything about that?

It still bugs my butt that I was living in Cincinnati from 1962-66, and could have driven over to Johnston City for those events; but I never even knew they were being held. There was simply no communication then, except by word of mouth, until the ABC coverage.:mad:

Doc
Lingo did not play in the 1961 tournament. He did play in the tourney in 1963 & 1964.

onepockethacker

Verified Member

Beard

Well being alot younger than you I can only speak or what I heard from his opponents first hand. Marshall Carpenter told me Johnny was the one that made him quit pool for 20+ years. Johnny was getting 8 to 7 and was 12 games winner in around 1969-70. I met Johnny around 1996 and i have already stated at the end of the year the Florida tour held a One Pocket tournament along with the 9 ball final tournament. Johnny won it 4 years in a row( I was there and saw those myself) Those fields included.. Buddy Hall, Steve Cook, Danny D, Steve Mizerak, Dick Weaver, Slim Carney, Dave Grossman, Pete Ohman, and many others. As far as Im concerned these Hall of Fame votes are just one big buddy system. I voted for you now you vote for me.

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Two names for the deceased catagory come to my mind, Sonny Springer and R.H. 'Professor' Gilmer. While not as well known as some of the others mentioned they both loved and played the game well and they were always willing to take time to give an aspiring player some pointers.

Pel

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
It has to be hard to see anyone more deserving than Shannon.

DeeMan

Thanks Deeman.

I been nominating him for the last 5 years or so. As in years past, he'll also get my vote for the Banks division as well.

In any other sport, those inducted into Hall of Fames are selected based on their credentials. Not "Well, so & so is getting old now, so let's make him feel good and pass over guys with multiple World Championships and get him in before he dies." That a popularity contest, not a valid measurement of the actual pecking order.

Gambling is the other criteria for induction here. Well, Shannon's been in action since he was 8 years old. He's 40 now. So he has multiple titles and has been gambling for 32 + years.

Why should he be purposely over-looked year after year because of his age??
He has over 30 years in the sport. He's penalized for starting so young and for being so good so early.

Another thing, he's actually given something back to the sport. He founded the Great Southern Billiard Tour, which gives players the chance to earn more money. Of the men already inducted, only Grady, Allen Hopkins and Bill Staton have ever promoted touraments. I mean, the jansco brothers are actually in the HOF here solely for promoting the JC tournaments.

By the way, the One Pocket division was only 1/4 of the JC tournamnets. It also featured 9B, 14.1 and over-all. So they certainly get a lot of credit, being inducted over players who won World Championships in the discipline.

Some of the nominations and arguments for other players over the years were lower caliber players then guys like Shannon, Joyner and Frost. MOST of the men already inducted rightfully DESERVE to be there because they were GREAT players. But there's a few that, although they were very good players, they couldn't have beat Daulton at the game.

I came to Deeman's post, skipped over every other post and wrote this. After I hit
"Enter", I'll go back and read what you fellas have to say.

This is the ONLY thing that bugs me about this site. Every year, all the excuses come out on why he SHOULDN'T be inducted. None of which, by the way, say he's not a great player.

Seems like some here feel there should be an age requirement to get into the HOF. Like if a guy is over 65 and was a decent player being selected over a guy who has won MULTIPLE major championships along with 30+ years on money match ups.

Being honest, that's not fair and it degrades the more accomplished players who happen to have been over-all much better players, but "they're not old enough yet."

Let me ask a question, of all the guys left who have not been inducted, who would you pick in a calcutta? Which of those not yet inducted would you bet on versus the other players?

Sorry for the rant, but I'll sleep better now.

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
I agree Shannon should go in........a few years. He still has a lot of play left in him and he barely shaves. I would like to see "Patch Eye" nominated. The HOF needs to get some of these older players in before they cant pick up their recognition. The younger guys have lots of time to be nominated and inducted. Whats the rush? Lets recognize the players that carried the game to what it is today. :cool:

Scrzbill,

Lots of young guys die earlier then we expect. Mike Carella is a great example. An even better argument is Harold Worst, who died at age 37.
Shannon's already 40.

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
I can take care of that.

We have some other newer or less active members that I have not "verified" yet either, but that I would be happy to. Verified means that you have established sufficient identity here on OnePocket.org so that we are confident that you are a legitimate voter.

He's a super-star over at AZB. Plus he, like me, likes R. Lee Ermey. What more could we ask for?

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
I agree with this 100%. I want our HOF players to be the kind that jump to mind when you think of the great legacy of One Pocket -- they fit because they cared about the game, worked at the game, and stayed dedicated to it over a big chunk of their career. You associate them with One Pocket.

Steve,

I just noticed that Buddy Hall's name is not listed as being in the Hall of Fame.
Also, many thanks for all you do to keep this site going.

*That's NOT to brown-nose for Shannon getting in either. :D

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Well being alot younger than you I can only speak or what I heard from his opponents first hand. Marshall Carpenter told me Johnny was the one that made him quit pool for 20+ years. Johnny was getting 8 to 7 and was 12 games winner in around 1969-70. I met Johnny around 1996 and i have already stated at the end of the year the Florida tour held a One Pocket tournament along with the 9 ball final tournament. Johnny won it 4 years in a row( I was there and saw those myself) Those fields included.. Buddy Hall, Steve Cook, Danny D, Steve Mizerak, Dick Weaver, Slim Carney, Dave Grossman, Pete Ohman, and many others. As far as Im concerned these Hall of Fame votes are just one big buddy system. I voted for you now you vote for me.

The 90s were the years that I stopped going to Florida. Main reason is that I developed a fear of flying. I lost contact with Johnny around that time. The tournament victories were impressive and I think he won a Stardust 1pkt tourn.
However, my first question has still gone unanswered, which was to name some people he beat EVEN playing 1pkt for money.

Steve Cook was only a few miles away, did they ever play? I beat Steve in Bensingers playing even and I am not even nominated for the 1pkt Hall.

Beard

You are not doing your case any good knocking the HOF process either. The roster of those that are in speak for themselves.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... As far as Im concerned these Hall of Fame votes are just one big buddy system. I voted for you now you vote for me.
Truthfully, IMO there have been a couple of guys who have benefitted from the "buddy system". Since then, Steve has taken pains to devise a system which protects the selections from that possibility.

But keep in mind that in the end, there is a lengthy list generated of guys who are nominated, from which we are asked to vote. Several of the nominated guys each year probably have little chance of winning, but it's up to the voters. We all get to vote for whomever we choose.

Now, there's no reason that we all can't try to promote guys who we think should be in the HOF. In fact that is the purpose of this thread; it's a call for nominations and discussion. But beyond that, I don't believe that there's ever been any out-and-out cheating in the selections.

Doc

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Can I first admit I don't follow this topic so close. I just looked at the list, if I missed this discussion already, forgive me, but how does Mcready stand with the you voters? I know it wasn't his strongest game, but his persona alone through his career should put him in striking distance. I think he's done a lot for the sport, and I have interacted with him a tad, and he is truly a good guy imo.