WWYD - Canadian Ghost Version #3

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Dave, firstly I like to say thanks for the videos! The Table/room looks Great.

The main issue in this thread is, 'The CB is frozen to an OB.' Which would hinder the 'Angle' the CB can approach the 1st rail in both 'Kick' examples. With that in mind, I think the videos should have had the 3 ball 'Frozen' to the CB as it was in the example of the, 'Push' shot.
Yeah you're right I don't think the 5 railer off the long rail was on the way it was frozen but I'm not redoing it, it was just for fun. I should have looked closer to the cueball position. I kind of fogged that, but as mentioned, I have no patience to set up shots. Sorry

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Nice video, Dave. You demonstrated each example very well but as NB stated, the cue ball was closer to the foot rail. This would make little difference for the push example except there would have been an additional problem to navigate. For one thing, the cue ball would have a path almost directly across the table which would require right english to get to the foot rail after coming off the side rail. This fact complicates this option to the point that I would be forced to search for an alternative. (I'm only saying this to point out this specific situation.) Nothing to do with your demonstration. The kick off the foot rail had the two balls blocking the path to the side rail below the side pocket. As you demonstrated, the path you took would have otherwise been the ideal path. I wonder what line the cue ball would have taken coming off the forth rail had the second rail contact point been on the other side of the side pocket.
I realize you are only providing a generic version of each shot and not trying to duplicate these very shots.
Tom
Agree, I should have studied the layout better, but just wanted to do something quick after Bill asked. I did have a little right on the push shot. Welcome back.

Reactions: lll

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
No, not rail first, we just always called it the old reverse shot, like this. I figured you could handle it with no trouble

Here it is Jimmy. I should have watched the video closer because the way Buddy had it set up it's easier than my setup. I put the object ball at 1 diamond up and 1 diamond away from the side rail with the cue ball about level. Buddy had the ball further away from the long rail making the carom easier, but you get the idea. I shoot this shot playing 3c.

Note: my rails are still a little slidey so some speed is lost due to the spin getting lost in the cloth. You can see the delay on the second rail especially.

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Nice video, Dave. You demonstrated each example very well but as NB stated, the cue ball was closer to the foot rail. This would make little difference for the push example except there would have been an additional problem to navigate. For one thing, the cue ball would have a path almost directly across the table which would require right english to get to the foot rail after coming off the side rail. This fact complicates this option to the point that I would be forced to search for an alternative. (I'm only saying this to point out this specific situation.) Nothing to do with your demonstration. The kick off the foot rail had the two balls blocking the path to the side rail below the side pocket. As you demonstrated, the path you took would have otherwise been the ideal path. I wonder what line the cue ball would have taken coming off the forth rail had the second rail contact point been on the other side of the side pocket.
I realize you are only providing a generic version of each shot and not trying to duplicate these very shots.
Tom
Tom, I redid the push shot closer to the end rail as you mentioned. Here it is...

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
No, not rail first, we just always called it the old reverse shot, like this. I figured you could handle it with no trouble

Here it is Jimmy. I should have watched the video closer because the way Buddy had it set up it's easier than my setup. I put the object ball at 1 diamond up and 1 diamond away from the side rail with the cue ball about level. Buddy had the ball further away from the long rail making the carom easier, but you get the idea. I shoot this shot playing 3c.

Note: my rails are still a little slidey so some speed is lost due to the spin getting lost in the cloth. You can see the delay on the second rail especially.

great shot!!!!
as i said its hard for me to keep the spin on the ball from the 1st to the second rail
have to try it again a few times

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
As for this shot , drag out the bridge and kick foot rail long rail head rail long rail and back down in front of opponents pocket.
the lines are approximations but while we are discussing the various kicks this one i think is very doable
uno perro shot.png

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
great shot!!!!
as i said its hard for me to keep the spin on the ball from the 1st to the second rail
have to try it again a few times
Larry, Note where his CB contacted the first rail, Just above the 3rd diamond! Creating a more 'Obtuse' angle into the cushion to give the CB more slide/spin to remain after the 2nd and 3r rail.

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Larry, your illustration looks pretty good but right or left handed it is all but impossible to reach even with a bridge!!
Correction! in the old days many gambling matches allowed the players to climb on the table.

Tom

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry, your illustration looks pretty good but right or left handed it is all but impossible to reach even with a bridge!!
Correction! in the old days many gambling matches allowed the players to climb on the table.

Tom
never thought about that
i have an old hagar 16 inch extension
i will try it later and get back to you if it was doable
edit
i could reach it but not get the oomph necessary
so tom as always
you were right..... :) (y)

Last edited:

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada

Tom
Not sure Mr. Tom. As a lefty (and not the tallest guy) there is enough cueball sticking out on the right side to reach over and put a positive stroke on it. Now that I see it I like this shot better. I'm going to try it next time I have access to a table.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Not sure Mr. Tom. As a lefty (and not the tallest guy) there is enough cueball sticking out on the right side to reach over and put a positive stroke on it. Now that I see it I like this shot better. I'm going to try it next time I have access to a table.
Your report greatly appreciated nick
:)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Nice videos Dave!

That last shot with reverse I learned from the Grady Matthews instructional video about 30 years ago. I tried to find the link to it but I can only find 3 of his instructional videos and its none of them. It's a pretty shot for sure!

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Nick, thank you so much for sharing that with me. It's nice to know that there are players out there who find my book helpful in games other than One Pocket. Maybe some day they will understand that switching from rotation games of at least adding One Pocket to their resume is also a really double smart thing to do. We can only hope!
Thanks again,

Tom