• 13998934-0FBC-44DC-8FF1-2F0D3FEABC26.jpeg
    13998934-0FBC-44DC-8FF1-2F0D3FEABC26.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
Reactions: lll

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
Tony is off. Josh keeps saying he's playing "loose".
He had an easy layout to close to within 2 (7-5) and scratched shooting a shot nobody expected.
Day ends with Shane leading 8-4

Reactions: lll

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Tony fought back at the end getting a few games in quick succession, but not looking like himself.
A lot of the 'Tony' shots just aren't going. And when he does get great opportunities, he's only getting 2 or 3 balls in situations where you'd usually see him get out, or close to it. Also banks that would normally earn him a lot of balls are just not quite making it in the hole.

Shane looks like he has a really good feel for the table. Executing some really tough cuts. Firing in quite a few real nice straight backs. Looks real comfortable banking on the table. Maybe got too comfortable, and started playing a little reckless, letting Tony back in it some.
Shot a couple tough shots/banks with balls in front of Tony's hole where Shane could really only get the one ball.

Fun watch first day. Would like to see the T-Rex make more of an appearance tomorrow. Stream quality is really good. Replays and camera angles are great.
LOTS of interruptions in Josh's commentary, which, I get, but it is just a bit annoying and unprofessional.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
My personal wrap up of day 1.

Venue:
As always Griffs is top notch. One of the best rooms in the country. Great seating (and I had the best seat in the house...thank you again Mark G). Table plays toughish but fair. Not crazy tough but if you over/under cut it a bit the ball won't go. In my opinion perfect. Stream was playing on most of the TV's so you always had access to instant replay (seems to be "tape delayed" about 15 seconds. Staff were great and as always the food for a pool hall is excellent. I would call it on par with what you would get at a Red Robin and good value.

Level of Play:
Very good. Lots of back and forth. Not just a shoot-fest. Though at times a world class ball striker like SVB can run a bunch on you quick. Play is quick. Some up table and some intentional fouls etc but not what I would call a grindfest like maybe Chip C would prefer.

Tony:
In a sentence. Missed opportunities. Needs to make more balls and run patterns better. Lots of almost great two and three railers that didn't quite connect or at least jaw in the pocket. Some nice multiball clearances but again the pattern play once he got to a shot was not his best.

SVB:
In a word...fearless. Great ball making and excellent combination potting and control (getting to next ball). Top Level long straight backs. Missed what I thought were some easy "One Pocket" type shots that he passed on. Quite a few times he didn't even look at two rails out of a corner and back to his pocket or making a ball up table and freezing on adjacent ball. It was as if he had decided that he didn't want to dance with Tony and would prefer to slug it out from distance. I'm still a little unsure whether he knows the shots or just plays to his strength. Lets see what Day 2 & 3 bring.

What Tony needs to do to win:
Rin the patterns better and keep SVB in the grease. Make his head hurt. IE squeeze and then when you get your chance. Make it it hurt.

For SVB:
You be you. Seems to work.

Random thought, If I was Tony I would switch sides. Anything you can do to make SVB less at ease would work. Also I realize it's not his style but a little more table time would help. In the last two days I saw about 1,5 hours of table warm up. SVB probably put in about 10 hours and who knows how much before Mosconi. Hell Alex P put in probably 10 hours in the last two days.

Kenji

thanks for the update.
I purchased the stream thinking there would be a replay but nothing so far.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Great pictures and write up, Nick. Thanks. Keep ‘em coming. Enjoyable match so far. Hope Tony has a better day today.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
nick and all who have posted
thanks for the commentary as i went to bed early and didnt see past game 2
nick thanks for the pic
hint to our other members......... post a pick of nick.....😂

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
thanks for the update.
I purchased the stream thinking there would be a replay but nothing so far.
Yes, that is stange, they usually have it up by now. I'm awake Wed AM and looking to catch up on what I missed last night myself.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
nick and all who have posted
thanks for the commentary as i went to bed early and didnt see past game 2
nick thanks for the pic
hint to our other members......... post a pick of nick.....😂
Hold on here...according to my "shareholders" I'm working. I would need Johnnie Cochran and some gloves that don't fit to get off that one.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well, thanks to the on demand replay, I'm all caught up and did not miss a shot!! (Too bad real life wasn't like that lol).

Brutal scratch in the last game of the night when Tony was rolling towards a quick win in game 12.