Scott The Shot Smith RIP

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Bummer.... remember we were just speaking of him the other day.... I guess he had a good run... Lots of fond memories from the early days. What a great BCA team the Bank Shot was back then too.

Reactions: lll

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Just passed on. We had a good talk this past Sunday, and we played on a BCA 8 ball team for a few yrs together.

Good Guy, best announcer of all time during his years.
As good as the boxing announcer that coined the phrase ''lets get ready to rumble''.

bm

It is so sad to hear when a pool legend passes and Scott was certainly a legend.

For years he officiated at the DCC and his tournament match calls and intros were always great and often humorous, like when he'd pull out a train whistle and call Michael Coltrain's match. Sometimes he rag on a particular player over the mike, like when Grady, unsuspecting, lost a bundle to this elfin-like pool player from Russia no one had heard of, namely Eugene Stalev. Scott and I had only a few minor interactions that culminated at the 2009 DCC at the Executive West. It went like this:

#####
Tuesday I draw Bob Owens of Schurtz cues. He plays strong but Lou wins 3-0. At one point in the match we call Scotty over to call a frozen shot I have to shoot. I look at him and deadpan, 'You know, in all the years I've played here you've been called over to make a call on me three or four times and you've never given me the call.' We all have a good laugh, Lou shoots and, miraculously, Scotty gives me the call.'
####

RIP, Scott... and thanks for the call.

Lou Figueroa

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I posted this on AZ billiards so might as well post it here too to honor Scott's quick wit.

A funny story involving Scott at 2004 DCC one pocket event:

Scott wanted to announce the match I was in and asked me for info, I had met him a few times since moving to CO, but we didn't know each other well. I mentioned to him I was friends with his ex-wife, Laura (one of my favorite Denver peeps). Next thing I hear over the loud speaker was "You're dating my ex? Good luck to ya pal."

I almost spit out my drink it was so quick witted and funny. Laura didn't think so when I told her. Hahahahaha

RIP Scott.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Some good pool player stories, that kept me up last night.....

Since I was from the Colorado Springs area since 71, players and player room owners came and set up stakes, with Grady Matthews being the first. Then Scott Smith showed up, then Bill & Barb Stroud.
Scotts first place was the ''Bank Shot'' a very small/successful business, this was in his early years before he married Laura Benarauskis (spelling?) we called her Beanie for short.
Scott was smart, and very successful as a businessman, he then Opened his second place, a real full size pool room called....The Rack and Roll, where he also held music venues.
In his beginning days of this room, in the early 80's, I don't know how he did it, but he got this young woman, about 5'4'' in height to play her music, $7 a head at the door, that wa$ allot of money to pay to see a band in a bar/pool room.
She had just left the music tour as a backup singer with Michael Jackson..... it was Cheryl Crow with her tour bus (like a Greyhound) parked in the back, and WOW did she have the pipes, this girl could REALLY sing, no one this good had EVER been in this small Ft. Carson/USAFA town before.
I was totally amazed.
Then Smitty during his early opening of this room had Efren/Bustamante & Luat come thru.
I played Efren in his pool room Opening exhibition and afterwards hooked up on the 9' with Busty and Luat.... Luat could really play, better than Busty then and Efren didn't have to like it at all in match play.
Scott just had soooooo many talents and it showed is sooooooooo many ways.

bm

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
They had also owned the room up on Fillmore in between owning Bank Shot and Rack. Some nitty cop narc hung out there for a year before he busted Scott for book making and a 1/4 gram of Coke.
The Rack&Roll was soon after and was put in Laura's name. I played pool league there for several years and dated Laura's sister Zita a while. Although Scott was part owner, the first several years he wasn't allowed on the premises during business hours because he was on probation for the gambling thing. I can still remember the first day he was allowed in we had a party...lol. Besides Sheryl Crow playing there before she was famous the best show they had was The Outlaws. Best small venue rock show I was ever at.
Probably the closest I was to being murdered was in there. I was at a crowded event there with a couple girls I knew and ran into a stripper ex girlfriend while dancing. Her new biker boyfriend didnt know me and ended up sticking a pistol in my belly. If the girls hadn't spotted it and danced me away I was sure he would have shot me. I was an invincible party animal asshole back then...lol
After I moved to Kentucky Scott would stop by on occasion on his way through. The first time he found out I had moved here he was running a Camel Tour event at JOBs. I was still pretty new here and thats where I first met Buddy. I was sitting at the tournament desk with Scott and although we played out of the same room, I never knew Buddy personally until Scott introduced me. After that we became friends and played thousands of games of 9 ball then that transitioned into one pocket the last 20 yrs. Buddy is in a nursing home now BTW.

Last time I saw Scott he was the guest MC at his last DCC. Lifes pitfalls had caught up with him and he was a shadow of his former self.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
They had also owned the room up on Fillmore in between owning Bank Shot and Rack. Some nitty cop narc hung out there for a year before he busted Scott for book making and a 1/4 gram of Coke.
The Rack&Roll was soon after and was put in Laura's name. I played pool league there for several years and dated Laura's sister Zita a while. Although Scott was part owner, the first several years he wasn't allowed on the premises during business hours because he was on probation for the gambling thing. I can still remember the first day he was allowed in we had a party...lol. Besides Sheryl Crow playing there before she was famous the best show they had was The Outlaws. Best small venue rock show I was ever at.
Probably the closest I was to being murdered was in there. I was at a crowded event there with a couple girls I knew and ran into a stripper ex girlfriend while dancing. Her new biker boyfriend didnt know me and ended up sticking a pistol in my belly. If the girls hadn't spotted it and danced me away I was sure he would have shot me. I was an invincible party animal asshole back then...lol
After I moved to Kentucky Scott would stop by on occasion on his way through. The first time he found out I had moved here he was running a Camel Tour event at JOBs. I was still pretty new here and thats where I first met Buddy. I was sitting at the tournament desk with Scott and although we played out of the same room, I never knew Buddy personally until Scott introduced me. After that we became friends and played thousands of games of 9 ball then that transitioned into one pocket the last 20 yrs. Buddy is in a nursing home now BTW.

Last time I saw Scott he was the guest MC at his last DCC. Lifes pitfalls had caught up with him and he was a shadow of his former self.
Great stories, John.

RIP Scott Smith

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
John, great stories about Scott.
I'm sorry to hear about Buddy in the nursing home. Is he seriously ill, and is he expected to get well enough to go home?

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

Crabbman, wish I was in Colorado when you were here, oh well, we found each other.

Sorry about Buddy.

I love that you dated Laura's sister many moons ago. If she was as nice as Laura you must have had some good times.

Reactions: lll