Remember that story I told.....

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
...and y'all didnt take it seriously? (With good reason???:lol) The one about when Sir Edmund Hillary was climbing in the Himalayas and he found a monastery high up and discovered that the Monks there had a room with a pool table in it. When he told the monks he had just came from Derby City in the US, the first thing the monks asked him was, "Hey, how's the Beard playing?" Well here is a vindication of that story from an email I got this morning from the son of the guy that used to own the Chicago Billiard Cafe:

Hey Freddy,

Long time no see. Hope you're in good health and still playing often.

I got a story for you: I've been living in the Netherlands for about 7 months now--I am studying at one of the universities in an exchange program. A few months ago, in the middle of winter, I was looking for something to do. I saw a posting on the door of the only poolhall for 20 miles, it was for a bank/one-pocket tournament. I was shocked that there would be a tournament like this in my small town in the middle of the Netherlands! Well, I hadn't played in 5 or 6 years, but I thought "what the ****", I'm from Chicago, I should be able to hold my own. It turns out I was pretty out of stroke, but I still managed to make it to the final 8. Anyhow, while I was there, word got around that I was from Chicago, and it turns out you have a large fan base in the Netherlands. I became an instant celebrity when they found out that I was a friend and old-time student of yours. A team of players from The Hague (there room is named the Hague 5) told me that they treat your book (Banking with the Beard) as a bible, and that they have weekly training sessions based upon it. The were starving for stories about you, and some of the other legends I was too young to fully appreciate back in the day.

I thought it was really cool that your persona has expanded so far, and I wanted to let you know about it. I don't know if you have ever been to the Netherlands, but I bet these guys would help pay your way if you were to give a lesson or two. I'm going to check on this for you. When I go and play in this Derby style tournament in a couple of months. All the guys I met will be there for the 10,000 euro guaranteed prize fund.

Good Luck and Good Health,
Kyle Van Den Bosch

University of Illinois-Urbana/Champaign
Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences
Fish and Wildlife Conservation
Class of 2014

tsk7878

Verified Member
From
chicago,il
nether lands

nether lands

Freddy,if you haven't been to Amsterdam,you gotta GO.More beautiful women there than anywhere else on earth, most of them on bicycles.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Freddy,if you haven't been to Amsterdam,you gotta GO.More beautiful women there than anywhere else on earth, most of them on bicycles.

You dont have to tell me that. When I was in the Army in Gemany in 58-61, many of the guys went to Copenhagen and Amsterdam on leave. I kept getting in trouble and couldnt get to go on an extended leave. I did go to the University at Tubingen, Germany for a weekend pass. There were 21 exchange students (girls) from Sweden. 20 of them could have been in the movies. The rattiest one was a little chubby, about 15 lbs overweight but with a beautiful face. They had a public pool there and I spent the weekend with a crusher brunette. I was distracted because I had just procured the book "The Hustler" from the post library. I read it straight thru, flipped it over and started from the beginning.

If I wasnt so afraid of flying I might take up that offer to go over there and give lessons.

Beard

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
You dont have to tell me that. When I was in the Army in Gemany in 58-61, many of the guys went to Copenhagen and Amsterdam on leave. I kept getting in trouble and couldnt get to go on an extended leave. I did go to the University at Tubingen, Germany for a weekend pass. There were 21 exchange students (girls) from Sweden. 20 of them could have been in the movies. The rattiest one was a little chubby, about 15 lbs overweight but with a beautiful face. They had a public pool there and I spent the weekend with a crusher brunette. I was distracted because I had just procured the book "The Hustler" from the post library. I read it straight thru, flipped it over and started from the beginning.

If I wasnt so afraid of flying I might take up that offer to go over there and give lessons.

Beard

My sister in law (Univ. of Chicago Professor, just retired) and my brother, both from Chicago just spent 4 mths in Sweden to finish her final tenure teaching Spanish. Before their return they spent some time in Amsterdam. Jeff said the last time they went thru there 30 yrs ago, the prostitutes just sat in a chair in the front window, and looked like relatives.... NOW he said they are young, hot and dancing in the front windows.

Sunnyone would like the view....:heh

On a similar note....

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty....just saw this GREAT movie yesterday, I think your trip would be just as exciting Minus the skateboarding :lol

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
My sister in law (Univ. of Chicago Professor, just retired) and my brother, both from Chicago just spent 4 mths in Sweden to finish her final tenure teaching Spanish. Before their return they spent some time in Amsterdam. Jeff said the last time they went thru there 30 yrs ago, the prostitutes just sat in a chair in the front window, and looked like relatives.... NOW he said they are young, hot and dancing in the front windows.

Sunnyone would like the view....:heh

On a similar note....

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty....just saw this GREAT movie yesterday, I think your trip would be just as exciting Minus the skateboarding :lol

I really agree with you, Bill. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was a great movie.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I really agree with you, Bill. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was a great movie.

I saw the original in Morganza La. in 1947/48 It was great also, I never forgot it. Danny Kaye was fabulous.
Rod.
P.S. Sorry for the hi-jack Freddy.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Were you guys associated with dem guys that hijacked that missing plane? :confused:Or maybe you got "ordered" by Duckbrains to smother my promo thread?:lol

Beard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Sorry to 'hijack' the conversation about beautiful women, but did I read this part of Nick's note to you correctly, that there is a Derby style major tournament in Europe??? That sounds great to hear!!!

When I go and play in this Derby style tournament in a couple of months. All the guys I met will be there for the 10,000 euro guaranteed prize fund.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Were you guys associated with dem guys that hijacked that missing plane? :confused:Or maybe you got "ordered" by Duckbrains to smother my promo thread?:lol

Beard

That's why I apologized in my thread. I knew it was all about you. :D
Rod.
P.S. Neither of you old farts can "order" me to do anything.

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
Absolutely Freddy. I have a client who saw my wife and told me "you've out kick your coverage" lol

that's a good line... Immagonna use it.

...and apparently she's supportive with your pool playing...you did definitely caught some rolls.