One pocket league play

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
Hello everyone, hope all are safe and well.
I been thinking of starting a local one pocket league. I’m thinking of having it during the day time for us old guys who can’t stay up late. So, mostly seniors would play. Not looking to make money off of this, just want to have some competition once a week. Minimal fee since most are retired and on fixed income. Minimal payout at the end of session with maybe a thank you party at the end. Something along those lines. I believe I would have to handicap it someway or another. Hopefully get enough players to make it very interesting for all. Any thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks Paul

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Paul,

we have a OP league going now at 999's on Monday afternoons...in our second season now with about 25 players....it is handicapped into 4 groups as 5, 6, 7, or 8's.....look up flomasterspool.com and go to website to explore. you can also talk to the guy running it, Spike Lewis....he also runs another league at Center Pocket in Bowie....good luck

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
Paul,

we have a OP league going now at 999's on Monday afternoons...in our second season now with about 25 players....it is handicapped into 4 groups as 5, 6, 7, or 8's.....look up flomasterspool.com and go to website to explore. you can also talk to the guy running it, Spike Lewis....he also runs another league at Center Pocket in Bowie....good luck
Thank Daryl

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Paul,

I went and looked -- that is SO COOL!! quite the system they have going there, and appears to be a good example for anybody.

here is the link, https://www.flowmasterspool.com/onepocket
then click on "One Pocket Information Sheet"

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
Looks like a pretty decent system. The handicap is based off of APA, which is a bit of a shame, but it could be improved on.
I would base it on Fargorate, and adjust from there.
YOU ARE AUTHORIZED AN HOUR AND A HALF (1 ½ HOURS) TIME LIMIT. AFTER 1 1/4 HOURS, ANY NEW
GAME(S) WILL CONVERT TO “1-BALL ONE-POCKET”. YOU WILL BE ABLE TO COMPLETE YOUR THREE GAMES.
This bit was interesting, the slowpokes will end up playing 1b1p. :ROFLMAO:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I went and looked -- that is SO COOL!! quite the system they have going there, and appears to be a good example for anybody.

here is the link, https://www.flowmasterspool.com/onepocket
then click on "One Pocket Information Sheet"
The initial handicaps are based on any local league play, apa, bca. tap, etc. They can be a little off at first but tend to adjust as the weeks go by. We use a rolling 5 week average. If you win against an equal oe higher player you get a +1 for the week, if you lose to an equal or lower player you get a -1 for the week. The most recent 5 weeks figure into you revised handicap. We play 3 games per week, period. We limit play to 1.5 hours for the first two games and if the 3rd game hasn't started by then, they play 1b1p for the 3rd game. Mot many 1b1p games have been needed.

We don't use fargo because not many OP players have a fargo rating and its application to OP is questionable anyway. T the end of the 20 wk season we play playoffs in each separate grouping for the big money. During the season you play everybody while in the playoffs you play within your group only.

Last edited:

beltsander bill

Verified Member
It's the least questionable system out there. But if not many are rated, that could be an issue for sure.
I agree that handicapping players is alway an issue. If everyone buys in to the system it will work it’s self out. Having to be present at the start time only to wait 3 hrs to play would be a concern to me .. good luck all attempts at increasing interest in 1 pkt is great ..

Reactions: lll

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
The handicap system we use adjusts your handicap every week based on your record of wins and losses for the last five weeks. If you want to win any money at the end of the 20 week session you have to win matches, but as you win your rating will go up. Eventually you will end up in the class (5,6,7,or 8) that you belong in and can't win your matches so easily. By the time the playoffs start and the big money is at stake everybody will be where they belong.... :)

Renegade_56

Verified Member
Great idea, nothing like that at all here in eastern NC. Hard for me to even find a regular playing partner even offering them free table time at my house. Local rooms are all APA or 9 ball.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The handicap system we use adjusts your handicap every week based on your record of wins and losses for the last five weeks. If you want to win any money at the end of the 20 week session you have to win matches, but as you win your rating will go up. Eventually you will end up in the class (5,6,7,or 8) that you belong in and can't win your matches so easily. By the time the playoffs start and the big money is at stake everybody will be where they belong.... :)
Darmoose, have you ever seen the issue of sand bagging in this league? The league may be too small and/or the guys might all be honest. I recall in the NPL system out in Calif. years back that some guys would purposely play poorly early in the season so that they would get a higher handicap, with the intention of playing their true speed in the bigger money events. That's probably not possible in y'alls league, but I was just curious if you'd ever seen it.

beltsander bill

Verified Member
If weekly league matches payout more than the season tournament, there should be no reason to sandbag.. just a thought

aw_lewisjr

Paul, Hello. Spike Lewis here. We should talk, if you have time. Being that I have something already started, I might be able to get something started where you are. Or you and/or your folks could join us where we're presently playing. Lots of options. Let's talk. If you send me your cell via email, we can take it from there. My email address is: flowmasterspool@gmail.com. Thanks in advance. ~~~Spike~~~