• No, these rules need more work

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Some people, like my friend, think that the word “contact“ is satisfied by the original frozen contact. I tried to explain that that was not sufficient to satisfy the rule.
In nine ball, 10-ball and rotation there's always one ball you must "contact" first. In your friend's way, If he were frozen to another ball, any shot would be a foul for contacting the one he was already frozen to.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Steve and I are at the point of discussing the 6.1 Cue ball foul only rule. I do believe Steve is interested in eliminating the further option of BIH, and loss of game is probably not going to go anywhere.

I do believe Brlongarm dropping of the bridge upon the stack, is when the bridge is used as an air bridge. The bridge should stay in contact with the table, otherwise it is not used as intended and would violate the WPA rule of equipment use. Therefore the opponent should notify the shooter that this is not allowed. Or, possible we can work this into our rules, that the bridge has to be in contact with the table.

Question; what do you guys think of this; when an object is dropped upon the stack of balls and reconfigures them, then they are to be restored, and the opponent has an option to take BIH. Just asking!
Or,
Should it be just a restoration, and play on! Of which I believe restoration of balls is going to be allowed in the standard rule anyway.
thanks, Whitey
I am leaning towards just a restoration.

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Steve and I are at the point of discussing the 6.1 Cue ball foul only rule. I do believe Steve is interested in eliminating the further option of BIH, and loss of game is probably not going to go anywhere.

I do believe Brlongarm dropping of the bridge upon the stack, is when the bridge is used as an air bridge. The bridge should stay in contact with the table, otherwise it is not used as intended and would violate the WPA rule of equipment use. Therefore the opponent should notify the shooter that this is not allowed. Or, possible we can work this into our rules, that the bridge has to be in contact with the table.

So if more members want to take a stab at doing the 7 question poll, it would be appreciated and helpful! Or any further input.

Question; what do you guys think of this; when an object is dropped upon the stack of balls and reconfigures them, then they are to be restored, and the opponent has an option to take BIH. Just asking!
Or,
Should it be just a restoration, and play on! Of which I believe restoration of balls is going to be allowed in the standard rule anyway.
thanks, Whitey
I am leaning towards just a restoration.
I would also choose just restoration.

By the way, I cant find your post with those questions, but if you remind me where to look I will answer them for you. Thanks!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I would also choose just restoration.

By the way, I cant find your post with those questions, but if you remind me where to look I will answer them for you. Thanks!
Cincy, I am sorry, I did not realize that it was not in this thread, it is in Larry's thread on Rules Question, pg. 1, post #11.
I'll erase that part out of my post.
thanks, Whitey

smoooothstroke

Looks good to me.

Ever see a guy pull out his jump cue because he made a bad game and wants out for free? Technically he is in the clear if the rule wasn't discussed beforehand.

Recently I have noticed pro level players using the 3 foul rule while gambling on 1 hole. Arguably it is useful to speed up a tournament but IMO that rule is an atrocity in an action game.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The bridge should stay in contact with the table, otherwise it is not used as intended and would violate the WPA rule of equipment use.
I looked up the WPA rules and they clearly give players a lot of latitude for use of the bridge. I've highlighted two sentences, and please note the word "or" in the first sentence; it is NOT the word "and", which would have been considerably more limiting. To me in reading this, I do not see how an official could say it was illegal to use the that cross table bridge, with your bridge hand supported on the bridge shaft. You are "supporting the cue", you are using it "for the purpose" that it was intended, and you are doing the "configuration ...up to the player". If the WPA wants that to be illegal, they need to re-write their rule. It definitely says nothing about the bridge head needing to be in contact with the table. I know sometimes I find I need a bridge at the rail, and I have to balance the bridgehead on the rail/cushion, not rest it on the table.
1.3 Player’s Use of Equipment
The equipment must meet existing WPA equipment specifications. In general, players are not​
permitted to introduce novel equipment into the game. The following uses, among others, are​
considered normal. If the player is uncertain about a particular use of equipment, he should​
discuss it with the tournament management prior to the start of play. The equipment must be
used only for the purpose or in the manner that the equipment was intended. (See 6.17
(a) Cue Stick – The player is permitted to switch between cue sticks during the match, such as​
break, jump and normal cues. He may use either a built-in extender or an add-on extender to​
increase the length of the stick.​
(b) Chalk – The player may apply chalk to his tip to prevent miscues, and may use his own​
chalk, provided its color is compatible with the cloth.​
(c) Mechanical Bridges – The player may use up to two mechanical bridges to support the cue​
stick during the shot. The configuration of the bridges is up to the player. He may use his own​
bridge if it is similar to standard bridges.​
(d) Gloves – The player may use gloves to improve the grip and/or bridge hand function.​
(e) Powder – A player is allowed to use powder in a reasonable amount as determined by the​
referee.​

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I looked up the WPA rules and they clearly give players a lot of latitude for use of the bridge. I've highlighted two sentences, and please note the word "or" in the first sentence; it is NOT the word "and", which would have been considerably more limiting. To me in reading this, I do not see how an official could say it was illegal to use the that cross table bridge, with your bridge hand supported on the bridge shaft. You are "supporting the cue", you are using it "for the purpose" that it was intended, and you are doing the "configuration ...up to the player". If the WPA wants that to be illegal, they need to re-write their rule. It definitely says nothing about the bridge head needing to be in contact with the table. I know sometimes I find I need a bridge at the rail, and I have to balance the bridgehead on the rail/cushion, not rest it on the table.
1.3 Player’s Use of Equipment
The equipment must meet existing WPA equipment specifications. In general, players are not​
permitted to introduce novel equipment into the game. The following uses, among others, are​
considered normal. If the player is uncertain about a particular use of equipment, he should​
discuss it with the tournament management prior to the start of play. The equipment must be
used only for the purpose or in the manner that the equipment was intended. (See 6.17
(a) Cue Stick – The player is permitted to switch between cue sticks during the match, such as​
break, jump and normal cues. He may use either a built-in extender or an add-on extender to​
increase the length of the stick.​
(b) Chalk – The player may apply chalk to his tip to prevent miscues, and may use his own​
chalk, provided its color is compatible with the cloth.​
(c) Mechanical Bridges – The player may use up to two mechanical bridges to support the cue​
stick during the shot. The configuration of the bridges is up to the player. He may use his own​
bridge if it is similar to standard bridges.​
(d) Gloves – The player may use gloves to improve the grip and/or bridge hand function.​
(e) Powder – A player is allowed to use powder in a reasonable amount as determined by the​
referee.​
The player from Ecuador, Javier Teran who won the $10,000.00 1st prize 3C event used a rolling bridge device attached to the end of his shaft. Laying his bridge hand on the table for stability and griping the cue in a normal fashion, made every point when he attempted them.

It worked very well!

Similar to this.

bhsb3_black_2.jpg

Last edited:

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
Thanks Whitey. Your answer confirms my understanding. My friend thought that because the rule as stated in General Rules was not stated in OP Rules that it did not apply.
Your friend has probably got his games mixed up. There is a "touching ball" rule in snooker where you have to hit away from the ball that is touching the cue ball for a legal shot. Having said that, there is no requirement to hit a rail in snooker

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
From the WPA rules:
"He may use his own bridge if it is similar to standard bridges."
The player from Ecuador, Javier Teran who won the $10,000.00 1st prize 3C event used a rolling bridge device attached to the end of his shaft. Laying his bridge hand on the table for stability and griping the cue in a normal fashion, made every point when he attempted them.

It worked very well!

Similar to this.
That is an ingenuous design, but I don't see how it would be allowed under WPA because it is not at all "similar to standard bridges."

Are their standard international Billiard rules Bill? I've been looking at any rules I can find to get ideas how other disciplines handle things. Thank you.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
The rolling bridge has been around for over 25 years, the idea came from a good friend of mine, from my town, Taxi Wayne, although his idea got stolen and developed, before he did anything with it.

Early on in the rule committee, I introduced a rule that only allowed the players to use the bridge at the table, of which in OP that is what happens anyway. I have recently re-introduced a new cue and equipment use rule, of which at the time got shelved, but I did not include only using the bridge at the table.

I still have not found any relevance the WPA rules have in America, although I have asked that question of members a few times. I have not been able to find a tournament that they govern in America.

So if this is true then what reason do players have in America to go by any rules in WPA other than for use in OP.org.
Whitey