joyner/cooney

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i never posted a layout and i got 20 replies:eek:
you guys need a day job:D
anyway here is a sequence from that game that especially the new guy should appreciate
cooney leave joyner like this
cj1.jpg

cj2.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ok what would you do or what do you think he did

think high percentage
im showing these shots as much for the newbies to see well executed shots
not necessarily the OH MY GOD SHOT
like efren would do
although some coming up i think take terrific control of the cue ball

SJDinPHX

Suspended
If its Joyner's shot, and he didn't kick at the stripe, frozen to the 8 ball (looks almost dead, but better if it don't go) and leave him in the stack, then he passed up a pretty good shot...Also maybe, if theres room to shoot the 3 ball, 1 rail, at that same combo, and leave the cue by the second diamond, on the side rail...(not much risk on that shot)...and it could be a game ender.

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
SJDinPHX said:
If its Joyner's shot, and he didn't kick at the stripe, frozen to the 8 ball (looks almost dead, but better if it don't go) and leave him in the stack, then he passed up a pretty good shot...Also maybe, if theres room to shoot the 3 ball, 1 rail, at that same combo, and leave the cue by the second diamond, on the side rail...(not much risk on that shot)...and it could be a game ender.
Looks like the right shot Dick. And like you say it's better if it doesn't go because the cue ball will be stuck in the stack.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
dick and frank
if the 8 didnt go doesnt this shot move the 3,7,and the stripe closer to your pocket so is a stonger shot???
just asking:rolleyes:
if the 8 does go and the q is frozen is it legal to shoot the q "thru"/ into the stack to move ALOT of balls to your side???

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
lll said:
its cooneys shot now
what would you do?
View attachment 3282

I have shot this shot many times with success providing it's available. I would kick up table to the long rail and hit the side rail before the side pocket with the cue ball. The cue ball will then go into the side of the 2 ball and you should end up in a much better position than if you would have kicked at the 7 ball positioned near the foot rail. The other option of kicking softly in between the rail and the 7 ball will leave too many return options for your opponent. My shot to most may look high risk and difficult, but it's actually an easier shot than kicking at the 7 ball. Try it a few times and develop the feel for it, than get back with me and let me know how you like it.

Billy I.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
wincardona said:
I could be mistaken but I believe we're past this position. Or have I slipped even farther?

Billy I.

The 3 markers are there in every picture, :) I chose one that hadn't been altered. And no balls have been made. You're right of course, I was trying to keep the picture small.
Rod.
PS, The question stands. :rolleyes:
PPS, Repair complete.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
androd said:
The 3 markers are there in every picture, :) I chose one that hadn't been altered. And no balls have been made. You're right of course, I was trying to keep the picture small.
Rod.
PS, The question stands. :rolleyes:
PPS, Repair complete.
rod i went thru the thread and couldnt find the(your original) post that billy quoted:confused: there must be spirits or ghosts lurking:rolleyes:
ill have to go back and watch the beginnig of this game but i dont beleive joyner owes any balls.
ill check when i get home
for now lets assume no balls owed.

bstroud

Verified Member
In this position I would use system Sid and kick side rail, end rail, into the ball near the pocket and then the end rail. No chance to make a mistake.

Bill Stroud

senor

Verified Member
wincardona said:
I have shot this shot many times with success providing it's available. I would kick up table to the long rail and hit the side rail before the side pocket with the cue ball. The cue ball will then go into the side of the 2 ball and you should end up in a much better position than if you would have kicked at the 7 ball positioned near the foot rail. The other option of kicking softly in between the rail and the 7 ball will leave too many return options for your opponent. My shot to most may look high risk and difficult, but it's actually an easier shot than kicking at the 7 ball. Try it a few times and develop the feel for it, than get back with me and let me know how you like it.

Billy I.

Billy, I agree that the long kick shot is a good shot and easier than it looks. This is definitely a kick shot that should be hit with medium speed in order to guarantee a rail hit with the OB or CB. I think a common misconception about shots like the one described is that it has to executed perfectly, that there is little to no room for error. I think it's the complete opposite of that. I would approach the shot with the mindset that as long as I hit somewhere between the side pocket and maybe halfway towards the third diamond, the shot will be executed successfully. Of course, I would try my best to hit an exact point on the rail.

Now, if the shot were on here I cannot guarantee that I would shoot it in this spot because of the potential return shot on the 14, which we cannot see in the new layout. Kicking at the 7 may be the better immediate shot even though it may take more than one inning for Cliff's position to become less powerful.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
senor said:
Billy, I agree that the long kick shot is a good shot and easier than it looks. This is definitely a kick shot that should be hit with medium speed in order to guarantee a rail hit with the OB or CB. I think a common misconception about shots like the one described is that it has to executed perfectly, that there is little to no room for error. I think it's the complete opposite of that. I would approach the shot with the mindset that as long as I hit somewhere between the side pocket and maybe halfway towards the third diamond, the shot will be executed successfully. Of course, I would try my best to hit an exact point on the rail.

Now, if the shot were on here I cannot guarantee that I would shoot it in this spot because of the potential return shot on the 14, which we cannot see in the new layout. Kicking at the 7 may be the better immediate shot even though it may take more than one inning for Cliff's position to become less powerful.
Your correct about the return option with the 14 ball, I didn't realize that the 14 ball was positioned where it is. I would than go to the second option which would now be my first option and kick under the 7 ball.

But my original thought about kicking straight back into the 2 ball is a note worthy option when it's right to do so. Like I mentioned before I have used this shot many times with great success. Also like you mentioned that this type of kick is much more simple than it looks. Large margin for error.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
lll said:
rod i went thru the thread and couldnt find the(your original) post that billy quoted:confused: there must be spirits or ghosts lurking:rolleyes:
ill have to go back and watch the beginnig of this game but i dont beleive joyner owes any balls.
ill check when i get home
for now lets assume no balls owed.
Maybe because Rod moves like a ghost.:eek:

Billy I.

Tramp Steamer

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Dear "YOU are an invalid image" breath,

PS..RBL..I will be posting some 'ladies' in your weight class soon...watch for them..:eek:

Speaking of ladies in a weight room. I was walking by this place called 'Curves", the other day. It's one of those small reducing salons for women, and just for the hell of it, I opened the front door, tossed a Snickers bar into the middle of the room then took off running.
Later that evening the news reported that a riot had broken out at that location and several calorically challenged women had been injured. :)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
well cooney did kick at the solid close to the end rail but instead of going under it to keep the q near the end rail
he played it like this
cj6.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
he left it like this
cj7.jpg

i was surprised he risked pushing the solid close to joyners pocket ans selling out
do you think he mishit it??