J. Parica vs. G. Slivka 1996 U.S. Open

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
petie said:
I go off the one with low right spin and try to get on the bottom rail on the right side of the 7. Another option is to do pretty much the same thing but get behind the three. This is more risky because of the possible scratch and the small gap between the 3 and the rail. They are both very difficult the first time you try this shot but become a lot easier with just a little practice. I would be 80% on this shot and I'm not the whiz.

There aren't many places you can land where your opponent won't put you in worse shape for your next shot.:( I rarely shoot this and those that shoot it against me usually end up stuck to the backside of the stack.:p
Rod.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Aha! So that's why I'm loosing all the time. Seriously, I'm trying to lay you on the bottom rail to the right of the 7 or what ever dark redish purple ball that is on the bottom rail. What can you do from there?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I put the CB very good for you.;) You could probably bank the 7 ball and spin behind the stack, if you didn't try to make it.
Rod.

Attachments

• safe.jpg
    safe.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 0

treeMan

Verified Member
Where can I learn to break like that? I ALWAYS have a ball come out towards the opponent's quadrant, say at least on the bottom rail one diamond from his pocket (if not completely sold out).

Even if it is not a sellout, the leaked ball provides options playing off of it which are not available after this beautiful break.

tree

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
androd said:
There aren't many places you can land where your opponent won't put you in worse shape for your next shot.:( I rarely shoot this and those that shoot it against me usually end up stuck to the backside of the stack.:p
Rod.
Exactly, there aren't many places that you can put the cue ball in to get away with this counter move, other than positioning the cue ball on the 7 ball facing your pocket. From there you cut off mostly all of his good options, but getting it there is the problem.

Billy I.

bstroud

Verified Member
I think I might bank the 2 into the 5 and the stack and put the cue ball on the end rail straight in one the one ball. I can't tell if the one ball will go. If not this could be a good result.

Well executed it could be a game changer.

Bill Stroud

timdog24

Verified Member
bstroud said:
I think I might bank the 2 into the 5 and the stack and put the cue ball on the end rail straight in one the one ball. I can't tell if the one ball will go. If not this could be a good result.

Well executed it could be a game changer.

Bill Stroud

I really like that shot if they were playing on a tough table. But on a bucket, playing a good player, I don't want to give him a shot to possibly get out. Especially with nothing on my side.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I set this up as best I could. the angle across the table between the cue ball and 2-ball didn't work well for what I diagrammed earlier -- it needed to be a flatter angle across the table, whereas the way I see this looking closely is that the 2-ball is at an angle down from the cue ball a little too far for my shot. It's a lot easier to see these things in real life (assuming I set it up right, lol).

Now I could have set this up wrong, but as I set it up, the 11-6 "split shot" was perfect -- I made the 6-ball first try (see the below diagram). But I could have set the shot up wrong. :D

Attachments

• Greenshot_2011-04-14_17-17-39.jpg
    Greenshot_2011-04-14_17-17-39.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
timdog24 said:
I really like that shot if they were playing on a tough table. But on a bucket, playing a good player, I don't want to give him a shot to possibly get out. Especially with nothing on my side.
I agree. I believe the 1-ball has a whole pocket and a nice parallel rail to slide down too, so if the table is at all loose, that makes a nice shot if the 1 ends up doubled up on the 3 ball.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Punch the 8 and go down to the bottom rail by his pocket. Looks like a decent chance to move a few your way or at least remove two from his side.

Depending on what's gonna move you might just stun up a little.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
It's certainly unusual not to even get one idea that matches what the shooter shot but that's why we are who we are. Jose took a foul and shot the rock into the stack.

Greenshot_2011-04-14_20-11-06.jpg

Here's how he left it for Gerry:

CapturedPicture_4.Jpeg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
It's certainly unusual not to even get one idea that matches what the shooter shot but that's why we are who we are. Jose took a foul and shot the rock into the stack.

View attachment 2786

Here's how he left it for Gerry:

View attachment 2787

Taking an intentional is always an option when you don't know, or can't find anything to do. But the intentional he took imo isn't a very good one. If I were Gerry I would shoot the 15 ball off the 4 ball and position the cue ball to the left of the 6 ball. There are also other options that Gerry has, like taking an intentional back, or possibly doing something creative with the 15 ball.

Billy I.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
Taking an intentional is always an option when you don't know, or can't find anything to do. But the intentional he took imo isn't a very good one. If I were Gerry I would shoot the 15 ball off the 4 ball and position the cue ball to the left of the 6 ball. There are also other options that Gerry has, like taking an intentional back, or possibly doing something creative with the 15 ball.

Billy I.
That shot is the worst shot a person could shoot. He puts him wright back were he was and nan even make it worse on the rail.

And he can even lock him up inbetween the two balls were he is. THat shot is unbleviebele. Thier is no coment what he did tier because he did nothing.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
That shot is the worst shot a person could shoot. He puts him wright back were he was and nan even make it worse on the rail.

And he can even lock him up inbetween the two balls were he is. THat shot is unbleviebele. Thier is no coment what he did tier because he did nothing.

I wouldn't lock him up between the two balls that he's near because you will give him the ability to play off the 14 ball and send you up table to the center of the top rail. Then you would be on a scratch and have to perform. I would play off the 15 ball in some way that would be beneficial.

Billy I.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Isn't it a cardinal sin in One Pocket, to take a scratch to leave the cue ball on the wrong side of the stack, without a threat near your own pocket?? Reason being, you basically only strengthen your opponent's hand because they can so easily take a scratch back, and with the cue on the "wrong side", they should be able to do something to strengthen their position. So you are going to pay twice -- once for the ball you had to spot and twice for the hurt your opponent is going to put on you on their next shot.

Well, let's see -- CD, is Slyvka able to take advantage?

I wonder if Parica looked at this so long he got a brain cramp :D

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:

. THat shot is unbleviebele. Thier is no coment what he did tier because he did nothing.

I can't get my mind around a good player doing that.
I've not seen him but I assumed he is a good player.

I could of studied all day and never thought of that.
Maybe take a foul (probably not) but not there.:confused:

NHSteve said:
I wonder if Parica looked at this so long he got a brain cramp

More like a brain fart.:p
Rod.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
NH Steve said:
Well, let's see -- CD, is Slyvka able to take advantage?

I wonder if Parica looked at this so long he got a brain cramp :D
Parica looked at the table for a full 1 min. 45 secs. after the break. Here's Slivkas response:

Slivka's Shot.jpg

Slivka's Leave.Jpeg

timdog24

Verified Member
I don't like Parica's choice here, but I can't hang 'em for it either. It's hill-hill and Slivka broke the balls about as good as you possibly can. Everything favors him and nothing goes for Jose. There are very few shots here. Certainly no good ones.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Parica looked at the table for a full 1 min. 45 secs. after the break. Here's Slivkas response:

View attachment 2791

View attachment 2792
I see two shots if available are good shots, providing that their struck well.
I would take a look at the stripe ball next to the 6 ball positioned under the 8 ball. If the angle allows you to shoot that stripe into the 10 ball the stripe will carom off the 10 ball and should sweep the 3 ball along with the stripe from Gerries side. The cue ball would be controlled by the angle available, either freezing it or positioning it close to the 9 ball, or following the cue ball to the side rail. This shot could turn the break around, if availabe and struck well.

The other shot would be to cut the 15 ball into the 3 ball and swing the cue ball two cushions LONG up table. This shot should be hit with the speed to reposition the cue ball on or near the top rail, center diamond. This shot demands accuracy and speed is crucial.

Billy I.