If You Could Ask Any One Pool Player Any One Question …

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Picture 2012

Picture 2012

Bill, I love that picture! And I'd have loved to live there during the Hippie era. I take it that the pic was taken in recent times, since no one was wearing those idiotic ball caps then that are commonplace now.:D

I don't know if we'll get comments from Keith or not. He doesn't seem to check in very often.

~Doc

I visited there and took this pic out my car window as I was headin' back to CO, but stopped there for a memorial gathering when Tex/Dennis Gieske died. He loved in his later years playing/trapping people on CJ's 10 footer 1996....always looking for one pocket action ONLY on that table. That pic of the cornered room, it was the room I was in during the Kent State riots/gas/state police and national guard situation.
During the riots;
Across the street and down hill was the pool room Crazy Horse Billiards/garden level we got tear gassed while playing....it leaked in thru the doors. Toby Sweet stopped in there one time, we thought it/he was just another hippie, and Fats used to come in there once or twice a year looking for soft money, go figure.

An couple doors down from the pool room...........
At the Moo and Cackle/coffee shop one day, all of a sudden middle of the day this black dude in sandals and a long robe, started singing Freedom impromptu and in the parking lot right across the street....It was Richie Havens, what a time. And one day I walked into a bar down town where I gambled once with Cole Dixon....on his way to Janscos with his copartner/forgot his name/he died young, violent man I think....and there with this good looking Tall Black Guy in a Nehru suit and a BIG Gold medallion hanging off his neck centered in the middle of his chest....way outta place then....that was the great BB player Walt Frazier....who graduated a couple years or so before I got there. Those were quite the times I'd say. One more thing, I got back from Xmas break to find a hole in my room floor, the local Thief dropped thru and robbed the high dollar womans clothing stores Cloths. This creep dressed sharp and we all knew he did it, no one could prove it.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I was living in that corner room 1968 in (see pic 2012) Carbondale, and the guy across the hall from me played guitar for Rotary Connection. Reo Speed Wagon from Champaign IL, used to play for free, then 25 cents at the Guantlet Bar downtown by the police station.

An old friend of mine, Mitch Aliotta was the bass player for Rotary Connection...after the band broke up, Mitch went on to form the band Aliotta-Haynes-Jeremiah - they recorded the Chicago related hit single: "Lake Shore Drive"...I stayed with them in L.A. when they played at the Troubador in about 1969.

- Ghost

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
An old friend of mine, Mitch Aliotta was the bass player for Rotary Connection...after the band broke up, Mitch went on to form the band Aliotta-Haynes-Jeremiah - they recorded the Chicago related hit single: "Lake Shore Drive"...I stayed with them in L.A. when they played at the Troubador in about 1969.

- Ghost

I wonder if it was the same guy? He had long hair :eek: ''go figure'' but he definitely didn't play bass up stairs it was a guitar of some type. The room above was cool, ten separate rooms guys/gals and a four shower bathroom and toilets, communal, but the cost was near Zero to live there for a semester, I think it was One hundred twenty five and included utilities. I also got to see/hear Minnie Ripperton, Wayne Cochran and the CC riders and the low cost drink of the time was MD 20/20 if the gals wanted a free wine cooler. All it cost us broke dick college students was a seven up at the bar and I was the mixologist.:lol

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

- Ghost
If you went to the Troubador frequently, you may have seen me when I played a week with Tim Buckley there in late '69. It was a great gig, and at least one night was recorded. Didn't everybody to a "Live at the Troubador" album?;)

Incidentally, I took my wife out to L.A. a couple of years ago to visit some old friends. We drove by some of the old rock clubs, and I was surprised to see that the Troubador was still there on Santa Monica Blvd. near Doheny. Evidently it's still a live performance club. Nice history.

~Doc

keoneyo

Verified Member
Wow I was broke at the time but into acoustic guitar and dug deep to go and see Leo Kottke at the Troubadour. A great venue in the 60's. Saw Judy Collins there too but really went to see a guy by the name of Patrick Sky who opened for her.
Doc you remember all the clubs then. The Trip, Pandoras Box, Bido Lido's? Im sure you do if you were playing with Frank. I hung out at Canters till the wee hours. Ill shut up now.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I wonder if it was the same guy? He had long hair :eek: ''go figure'' but he definitely didn't play bass up stairs it was a guitar of some type.

Here's a pic of Rotary Connection...my friend Mitch is the guy at top center - he had a curly, reddish colored, semi-afro...but as I recall it, he wasn't downstate going to college in those days (1967-69), cuz he and the rest of the band were busy practicing and recording in Chicago, playing gigs everywhere, and trying to make it big - they were also a couple years older than college age at that time...

Attachments

• 0 1 rotary.jpg
    0 1 rotary.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 0

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Here's a pic of Rotary Connection...my friend Mitch is the guy at top center - he had a curly, reddish colored, semi-afro...but as I recall it, he wasn't downstate going to college in those days (1967-69), cuz he and the rest of the band were busy practicing and recording in Chicago, playing gigs everywhere, and trying to make it big - they were also a couple years older than college age at that time...

They guy on the left up front, furry coat, looks allot like em. I remember dirty brown/blonde? ish hair, he definitely was older than I at the time, my guess early twenties at that time.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Wow I was broke at the time but into acoustic guitar and dug deep to go and see Leo Kottke at the Troubadour. A great venue in the 60's. Saw Judy Collins there too but really went to see a guy by the name of Patrick Sky who opened for her.
Doc you remember all the clubs then. The Trip, Pandoras Box, Bido Lido's? Im sure you do if you were playing with Frank. I hung out at Canters till the wee hours. Ill shut up now.

I never heard Lottke, but he must be a great acoustic guitar player. I had to look up the Buckley album we did: "Live At The Troubabour": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_the_Troubadour_1969. He had a beautiful voice, and he yearned to get more into jazz rather than folk. Some of the rehearsals turned into jazz sessions. Sadly he died of a heroin overdose in 1975.

I spent my share of time at Canter's Deli, also at more at Ben Frank's on the Strip (now Mel's Diner). I think the guys in the Mothers hung out at Canter's in the mid 60's before they moved to NYC for a year, where I met them. When we got back to town in '68 some of the guys lived in the Valley, some of us in Laurel Canyon. At that point the Zappa/MOI were too popular for small clubs, although we did do some recording at the Whisky. My favorite joint was Brevitz's Thee Experience on the east Strip.

L.A. (Hollywood) was a blast in those days. You couldn't pay me to live there now.:(

~Doc

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
Kottke is one of the greatest guitarists I've ever seen or heard. His early albums were phenomenal.

Check out "6- and 12- String Guitar" or his live album "My Feet are Smiling".

RedCard

Verified Member
Kottke is one of the greatest guitarists I've ever seen or heard. His early albums were phenomenal.

Check out "6- and 12- String Guitar" or his live album "My Feet are Smiling".

Pamela Brown.