If You Could Ask Any One Pool Player Any One Question …

Del

I'd ask Artie: would you play Efren for big $$$ if he gives you a couple of balls and maybe the break?
If your answer is yes I am sure Billie I can arrange that.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
It turns out Earl does suffer from a degree of bipolar -- he actually acknowledges it in this wonderful documentary, which if you have not watched, you have to! Watching it gave me whole new perspective on Earl.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/vid...st-ever#ooid=93NGJpbTrgmP3H-9GPA0NNV7Hfx5mGhc

The link took me to a short docu -- about 4 min -- in which bi-polar wasn't mentioned.

I have some knowledge of the typical behavior of people with both types of bi-polar disorder, and Earl fits neither. Since my first comment was intended in a joking manner, I won't probe deeper, but the short docu you linked me to only tended to confirm my prior opinions.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
The link took me to a short docu -- about 4 min -- in which bi-polar wasn't mentioned.

I have some knowledge of the typical behavior of people with both types of bi-polar disorder, and Earl fits neither. Since my first comment was intended in a joking manner, I won't probe deeper, but the short docu you linked me to only tended to confirm my prior opinions.

Spent a year in Tampa Oh Six, played once a week at Rocky's in Spring Hill...to me it's his blood sugar....and I don't mean diabetic is what the word was at that time. This also was when Rodney, Saez, Richie R. and a few others were livin' there.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Sorry I posted a link to the wrong video. I hope this one is the right one. Edit: Yes this is the full version -- I got fooled by the short trailer the first time. Yeah, my extended family has some bipolar in it. It often seems to go hand-in-hand with genius and/or obsession that give someone almost inhuman abilities. But I would never wish it on anyone; yet it almost seems like it is sometimes a devil's bargain in order to satisfy the need to "be the best".

[ame]http://youtu.be/Namjr1Rkxwo[/ame]

Last edited:

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Steve, I completely agree regarding bipolar (and other mental conditions) often being correlated with abilities, especially subjective or artistic abilities. Whatever neurochemistry is at work that causes the pathology also seems to fuel the creativity.

After you get past a certain level of ability in pool, confidence can often make the difference between winning and losing. From that perspective, Earl's overabundance of confidence, perhaps due to his disorder, very likely serves to help his pool game. Simultaneously, it distorts and blinds his social judgment and impulse control.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
What I am saying there is gold at the end of the rain bow.

And there is light at the end of the tunnel. Larry I don't think I ever meet you. So I have to ask you do you play a lot of pool and how often. So If I decide to improve your game through knowledge. There will have to be some way. That you can check and see if you improved and how much.

Who do you play like. And how do you play that person. Who wins. And how do you stand with that person. Winning and loosing games. How much would you have to improve in knowledge to be a consistent winner playing him. And you will see and feel that you can win.

It wont be will play and see what happens. And when you play this person. He will see a change in your game. Less mistakes. And smarter shots. And leaving him in tougher positions. And figuring out before you shoot. What you want to do. And were you want to leave the cue ball.

You will see there are no accidents. And your confidence and game will improve. And you will feel better about yourself and your game. If this happens. It will be in las vegas because I watch my granddaughter 24 hours a day. But we can make it happen and we will make it work. I am not selling anything. I am only bringing out the truth and showing how strong knowledge is

Artie,

I really appreciate the wisdom of how to change your game and keep track of the shots...especially against stronger players... learning where they put the cue ball, and how they execute shots...but there is a caveat to this... you have to play a lot...now that I am retired and can spend 4 to 5 hours a day at the table, improving my game, practicing shots, and safeties, my confidence in executing the shot/safety at the table is improving...Playing also lets you see shots/safeties that you didn't see before...

Bille

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Artie,

I really appreciate the wisdom of how to change your game and keep track of the shots...especially against stronger players... learning where they put the cue ball, and how they execute shots...but there is a caveat to this... you have to play a lot...now that I am retired and can spend 4 to 5 hours a day at the table, improving my game, practicing shots, and safeties, my confidence in executing the shot/safety at the table is improving...Playing also lets you see shots/safeties that you didn't see before...

Bille

One pocket also makes you realize how important it is to roll a natural 12 o'clock high cue ball. Shannon Daulton is thee perfect example of a player that has this mastered. If your fundamentals are not right, it's impossible to do this ''all the time''. A natural rolling cue ball builds muscle/shot memory quickly and simplifies all areas of your game....it's the baseline for all shots, it has the least amount of variables effecting ball collisions.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
What I am saying there is gold at the end of the rain bow.

And there is light at the end of the tunnel. Larry I don't think I ever meet you. So I have to ask you do you play a lot of pool and how often. So If I decide to improve your game through knowledge. There will have to be some way. That you can check and see if you improved and how much.

Who do you play like. And how do you play that person. Who wins. And how do you stand with that person. Winning and loosing games. How much would you have to improve in knowledge to be a consistent winner playing him. And you will see and feel that you can win.

It wont be will play and see what happens. And when you play this person. He will see a change in your game. Less mistakes. And smarter shots. And leaving him in tougher positions. And figuring out before you shoot. What you want to do. And were you want to leave the cue ball.

You will see there are no accidents. And your confidence and game will improve. And you will feel better about yourself and your game. If this happens. It will be in las vegas because I watch my granddaughter 24 hours a day. But we can make it happen and we will make it work. I am not selling anything. I am only bringing out the truth and showing how strong knowledge is

artie
I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT YOU WOULD BE WILLING TO HELP ME
i will do my best to take trip to las vegas maybe this summer if i can
to answer your questions
i practice about an hour a day on my home table
and try to play 2-4 hours each saturday and sunday at the pool room
unfortunately there arent many 1p players in my room
so i end up playing 9/10 ball
for one pocket i have our house pro mark coats who will play me one pocket
i play tom wirth alittle more often than from time to time
and there is a player from massacusets bob busa who come to fl for a few months in the winter
it would be hard to say how much knowledge i would need to beat them
since they already know ALOT and execute so well
im planning to play someone who came to my town for season in the past but now lives about an hour away
we would always have long games with him winning more often with scores like ,8/6...8/7....usually we would battle trading safeties until someone would sell out a shot (unfortunately me first...:eek:)
no surprise the games i win are the ones where i maintain the pressure and capitalize on his mistakes
however
my execution skills are much better now from the practice so i am looking forward to see how i do when we play in a few weeks

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Steve, I completely agree regarding bipolar (and other mental conditions) often being correlated with abilities, especially subjective or artistic abilities. Whatever neurochemistry is at work that causes the pathology also seems to fuel the creativity.

After you get past a certain level of ability in pool, confidence can often make the difference between winning and losing. From that perspective, Earl's overabundance of confidence, perhaps due to his disorder, very likely serves to help his pool game. Simultaneously, it distorts and blinds his social judgment and impulse control.

Two thumbs up on this post, Dan.

Bi-polar, borderline personality disorder, and psychopathology also seem to be far more common among the highly -- or at least well above average -- intelligent.

TomRoden

Verified Member
no one has mentioned....

no one has mentioned....

One Pocket is about all that's been mentioned above. Practice,knowledge,concentration,creativity and determination. What's been left out is this....Patience. It's a quality that's learned through time. Very few 9 ball players are patient players. I have all the time in the wortld to win a game of one pocket. It doesn't matter to me how long it takes, as long as I win.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Figured you'd catch that one, John.

Saw a funny one the other day: "My girl can't wrestle but you should see her box!"

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The only way anyone can step up to the pro level is watching the top players play. Where that would be now days I wouldn't know. Houston may have had one of the legendary action spots in the country (LaCue club) in downtown. Players such as Jersey Red, Craig Stephens, Danny Jones, Tall Jeff, Grady Mathews made there home here for a time and I had a front row seat of most of the games they played in the late sixties and I watched and absorbed. By my 18th birthday I won the All around World title at Johnston city Ill. in 1970. This will be in paperback soon, so that's what watching great players will do for you. You have to watch and understand what they're doing to improve your game to the highest level. All the greats of the sixties and seventies came thru Houston and I watched them and learned, also played some of them. There is not very many of us left, feel free to ask a question of this era.
Keith, you won the 9-ball and the All Around that year. Ronnie Allen won the one-pocket, and Lassiter the straight pool. Aside from yourself, do you have any memories of who was hot during that event, either in action or the tournament?

Sadly most of the guys have died off. You, Bill I., and Danny D. are the only ones who come to mind, although there are others.

~Doc

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
artie
I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT YOU WOULD BE WILLING TO HELP ME
i will do my best to take trip to las vegas maybe this summer if i can
to answer your questions
i practice about an hour a day on my home table
and try to play 2-4 hours each saturday and sunday at the pool room
unfortunately there arent many 1p players in my room
so i end up playing 9/10 ball
for one pocket i have our house pro mark coats who will play me one pocket
i play tom wirth alittle more often than from time to time
and there is a player from massacusets bob busa who come to fl for a few months in the winter
it would be hard to say how much knowledge i would need to beat them
since they already know ALOT and execute so well
im planning to play someone who came to my town for season in the past but now lives about an hour away
we would always have long games with him winning more often with scores like ,8/6...8/7....usually we would battle trading safeties until someone would sell out a shot (unfortunately me first...:eek:)
no surprise the games i win are the ones where i maintain the pressure and capitalize on his mistakes
however
my execution skills are much better now from the practice so i am looking forward to see how i do when we play in a few weeks

The best way to see if you improved is playing the people who play your speed or a ball better. And after you put your knowledge to work. That you learned you will see if you improved. Your confidence and the shots you shoot will change. Your mind will tell you that you are stronger and smarter.

When one of your old shots shows up. That you have been shooting the same way. Will tell you that's not a good shot.And your game will change. Instead of doing the same old stuff. your mind will tell you that you have changed by thinking. And you will no longer shoot the same shot.

Like I told every body on the site. On every shot you must think before you shoot.And choose a productive shot. And before you shot. And ask yourself. Why you are shooting the shot you picked. And what can your opponent do from that position. If the thinking gets to hard then wright in down tell your mind has recorded what not to shot. And what you should shoot.

You are learning how to play the game. Not just shooting shots and movies you learned. You want to learn to play. The complete game. Not just a peace her and there. Your puzzle will never be completed.

When you give a lesson to a person who wants to learn. A good teacher. Doesn't keep shooting and showing the person how he does it. The person needs to learn the lesson. It does not help him showing him that you can do it.

When I give a lesson. I am not interested in showing the person. What I can do. He needs to learn what he has to do. So what I do is I die sect his came. And start changing his mistakes. And letting him shoot what he is learning. I watch everything he does. And change his mistake or poor choice. To the correct shot.

To change and improve his game. You are changing his mistakes. And start getting him to shoot the correct shot. And you will be surprised how much he can learn and change. What happens his game will change and has to get better. Because he is now shooting a bunch of correct shots.

Like when you take a test or exam And your score is 60% of the questions are correct. Now you have the correct answers for 10 of the questions. That were wrong. It is impossible. For your score not to get better. One important thing to tell the person. Do not shoot shots that the champions shoot. Unless you are capable. Of executing the shot. A average player cannot execute a shot above his ability. So he has to learn what other choices does he have. From that position.

Shooting shot's that you do not have the ability to execute will be repeating the same mistake. Unless you learn to execute the shot.A average player. Will not be able to do what the champions do. You are getting smarter by not shooting the same shots you cannot execute. And people who give lessons. Tell the weaker player. That's the wrong shot. He is shooting. That is incorrect. That is not incorrect that is correct what he is doing shooting a different shot. Because he cannot execute the hard shot.

What I am saying to improve and help a player with his game. You have to look and see what he is doing wrong. And change the wrong shot to the correct shot. AND I CAN IMPROVE ANY PLAYERS GAME. EVEN IF HE IS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD. BY WATCHING AND CORRECTING HIS MISTAKES. To improve you have to correct and change your mistakes.

unoperro

Verified Member
Keith did you know ''Bird Thompson" from the Ft. Worth area?
I have heard some stories about how good he played.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Keith, you won the 9-ball and the All Around that year. Ronnie Allen won the one-pocket, and Lassiter the straight pool. Aside from yourself, do you have any memories of who was hot during that event, either in action or the tournament?

Sadly most of the guys have died off. You, Bill I., and Danny D. are the only ones who come to mind, although there are others.

~Doc

Doc I watched him win it....and remember his brushed leather jacket with tassles. The hippie chicks from Carbondale loved him and I think some asked for his autograph if I remember correctly. Long haired dude winning against the guyz in the suits :) pretty neat during the Vietnam years/draft/and petulie oil years of aggressive women. Oh yeah I had a guy across the hall from me in this building above Baskin Robbins/yellow.... I was living in that corner room 1968 in (see pic 2012) Carbondale, and the guy across the hall from me played guitar for Rotary Connection. Reo Speed Wagon from Champaign IL, used to play for free, then 25 cents at the Guantlet Bar downtown by the police station.

Attachments

• JCTexDianeJanTwentyTwelve 030.jpg
    JCTexDianeJanTwentyTwelve 030.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 0

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Bill, I love that picture! And I'd have loved to live there during the Hippie era. I take it that the pic was taken in recent times, since no one was wearing those idiotic ball caps then that are commonplace now.:D

I don't know if we'll get comments from Keith or not. He doesn't seem to check in very often.

~Doc