Chohan v. Compton recap and analysis

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I had the privilege of calling the first two days of the match with Jason Sword and below are some observations for the benefit of those who did not watch the match:

1. The table was tough and affected Compton's banking more than Chohan's. Home table showed up, as Tony dialed in on the long rail banks and Compton never really did. At this level, most players start an offensive run with a made bank and position to run balls. If you don't make the bank, you settle for ones and twos and never get to run a bunch of balls. Day 2 and 3, Chip banked the short rails and cross banks much better, but he rarely made his long rail banks. This kept him from sustained offense.

2. Up table game was the norm. Tony was happy to play along with Chip's up table game strategy. This led to runs of one and two and long games. Again, the long rail banks fell more for Tony than for Chip, and Tony was more effective at taking out balls near his opponents hole than Chip because Tony's balls were usually in the jaws and Chips were just out of the jaws, allowing Tony to showcase his great take out skills.

3. Tony's conservative approach nullified chip's wedge strategy. Chohan showed patience and timely moving and completely shut down Compton's game because Compton could not get the long rail banks to fall. This was the most decisive difference in the match. By Tony abandoning the power one pocket style and playing a more traditional game, he nullified Compton's strategy of patience and banking.

4. On this equipment, Tony is tough to beat. Home Court advantage is real, and only the best ball strikers have a chance against Tony on this tough diamond. Not only are the pockets tight (4.125 inches), but the humidity makes the rails bank short and they react differently then most anywhere else. The table also plays differently through the night as the crowd swells and thins. I think we might see the following matches next at Buffalos for Tony, though I don't know who will end up streaming them:

1. Bustamante v. Tony
2. Dennis v. Tony (9/8)
3. Alex v. Tony (9/8)
4. Filler v. Tony

As for Compton, he was game, coming into the lion's den and facing all the adversity that goes with trying to dethrone the American king on his home table. Compton still has games with Lunda, Deuel, Hall (although they are friends and unlikely to play), Bustamante and Frost, several of which could happen at the Pro Classic.

John Morra is playing his best pool and will also be in the grease at the Pro Classic. He has a good stake horse and is brimming with confidence from his recent high finishes in tournament play and his success in after hours action. I expect him to match up and play well, as he has five days experience on the tough TV table within the last 30 days. And let me say this for those that don't know: He banks as well as any one pocket player on that tough table. Period. Morra and Lunda are sneaky dark horses for the tournament. Make your bets accordingly.

Joe Long

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for the insightful recap as always Joe!

I think I like Tony in 3 of the matchups above, the only one I am uncertain of is vs Busty, that will be a good match! Well all of them will be, but I think Tony getting a ball from anyone should give him the mental confidence to win those 2 matchups, especially since he has already beaten Dennis even and now they are playing on Tony's home court. I don't see Filler getting close this time, but icbw...

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Great write up Joe, thank you!! Yes, I really enjoyed your commentary -- you didn't hold back much did you lol. One thing I really liked were the many little side comments about Buffalo's and the players and the bettors in the house -- it made for kind of a sneak preview to what I will be witnessing in person in about a week and a half!!

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
Thanks for the great commentary. I also really appreciate the replay videos.
I really want to see Filler play pretty much ANYONE. A rematch with Tony would be awesome.

Last edited:

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I see Frost calling out the world. He called out Chip, called out Tony. New Orleans will be interesting.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
There is not a soul on earth going to beat Filler at anything for as long as he wants.

So for the next 30 years get used to everyone else being 2nd best like it was with Efren.

youngstown

Verified Member
I want you in the booth (letting our one pocket.org members taking turns with you) for the poolactiontv stream!

evergruven

Verified Member
thanks for the writeup-
might be silly, but I wonder how conscious chip was of his long banks
and if he made any adjustments to try to rectify the gap there vs. tony?
again maybe it's moot, but a thing I like about long matches in any sport
is the opportunity to find ways to either keep winning, or come back

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
The strongest statement I have seen in a long time.

There’s money behind that statement also. This will be a fun time if things open up like they should.

We said pretty much the same thing about Alex when he started coming over to Detroit when he was just a “little fella” 😱

He was never focused like Joshua though. Got distracted with too many other things all the time.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Well, you need to get with Roy Francisco, because he'll be looking for help when Filler plays Chohan.