C. Deuel vs. E. Reyes 2005 D.C.C.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Corey did bank the 12 ball and he put the cueball behind the 2 ball:eek:.

P.S. It was the opinion of both commentators that the 2 ball passed the 11 ball.

View attachment 8040

He left Efren here:

View attachment 8041

Perfect control with the cue ball was needed for that shot, plus positioning the 12ball was also ..very crucial. I actually like the shot but in this particular lay out with the score the way it is...not my choice.

Dr. Bill

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Corey did bank the 12 ball and he put the cueball behind the 2 ball:eek:.

P.S. It was the opinion of both commentators that the 2 ball passed the 11 ball.

View attachment 8040

He left Efren here:

View attachment 8041
Please note how much stronger this shot is with the 12 hanging close to Corey's pocket, as opposed to if he had made the 12 -- unless of course he is straight in on the 2 (doesn't look it).

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Tyler, from this position your objective should be to move balls out of play, as opposed to putting balls in play. :sorry You may say that by banking the 12ball your opponent will be preoccupied with moving the 12ball after you shoot. If you play it short, like you mentioned you then will leave one of two shots that will possibly lose the game for you or put you in more trouble. Banking it long will obviously leave a return bank, with the 7ball as a helping ball to pocket the bank.:eek: Agree? Banking it short will leave Reyes two options, and their both good options. Option one, if the 12ball rest on the bottom rail Reyes can kick into the side rail then toward the 12ball with the chance of pocketing the 12ball either straight in or off the 7ball.:eek: Also by banking it short Reyes will not only have the kick option but will also have the ability to put the stripe that's positioned cross table into play. This option offers the ability to position the cue ball at the top of the table behind the string of balls positioned on Reyes side of the table. :eek: You will then be up table alone, without an escape ball and be forced to take a scratch, or very possibly lose the game with any other shot. Banking the 12ball does look tempting but a shot that should be avoided at just about any expense. If I were your opponent I would be thrilled to see you bank the 12ball for the reasons I explained.

Shooting toward the 1ball or 7ball insures you that whatever happens there will still be balls on the table that will be difficult for Reyes to run, especially if you move another ball some what out of play. And who knows...you just might get away clean.:D

Dr. Bill

Thanks for your reply :)

Here is how i'd be planning my shot to come out, assuming the 2 doesn't pass. Of course, the 12 may not end up right there, I myself am sure to get that on the end rail though.... just something I never have a problem with. But yes, the kicks are a big problem with this shot. The only thing I want to politely mention in this conversation is that I feel the shots on the 1 and 7 may lay a little more awkward than we think, especially from the rail. I do agree though my thinking there was not good. :frus

Attachments

• reyesdeuel1g.jpg
    reyesdeuel1g.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Cory is up 6-2 this game and it's his shot. What would you do?

I would probably try something like - play the 1 off the left side of the 7. Send the 1 toward my pocket. Shooting with a little draw and the cue ball most likely hits the 7 as their both coming off their rails. A small chance of kicking the 7 toward my pocket also. I'm not playing Reyes in a tounament, I'm just playing a friend for fun and want to see what would happen.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Thanks for your reply :)

Here is how i'd be planning my shot to come out, assuming the 2 doesn't pass. Of course, the 12 may not end up right there, I myself am sure to get that on the end rail though.... just something I never have a problem with. But yes, the kicks are a big problem with this shot. The only thing I want to politely mention in this conversation is that I feel the shots on the 1 and 7 may lay a little more awkward than we think, especially from the rail. I do agree though my thinking there was not good. :frus

Lets go back to the original position before Cory shot. In order for Cory to even begin thinking about playing the shot that he opted to shoot the angle of the shot had to be perfectly in line to get the results he got. That's for openers, then he had to be able to execute the shot perfectly...just the way he did....Keep in mind had he made the bank he would of still been in trouble, any other result other than the one we're looking at would not of been good. The key to the shot that Cory opted to shoot was in the speed of the 12ball (which needed to end up by the pocket, makeable from anywhere on the table and the cue ball must be in back of the 2ball.)

Your shot doesn't do what the requirements are to choose the shot as a good option. My contention with the shot choice is two fold. The position of the balls on the table and the score of the game. Secondly, the likelihood of achieving the desired result needed to make this option viable.

Your option Imo is challenging the sound principles that we need to employ in situations like this one and in one's similar to this one.:sorry Sorry Tyler for being so direct but solid play will get you the results needed more often than spectacular play will. Cory is a spectacular player that challenges sound principles more than he should, Imo. Which has been evidenced with his soft break playing 9ball and his wide open break playing one pocket:eek: However, there will be times when his occasional unorthodox style of play will benefit him. Not to say that this was unorthodox ...just a little bit of a stretch.:D

Dr. Bill

mosconiac

Verified Member
There's a clear path to a rail-first kick on the 1B (between the 2B & 11B). Any opinions on kicking the 1B to the end rail & dropping in behind the 7B? Pace of the CB is critical of course, but even I should pull that one off.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I would probably try something like - play the 1 off the left side of the 7. Send the 1 toward my pocket. Shooting with a little draw and the cue ball most likely hits the 7 as their both coming off their rails. A small chance of kicking the 7 toward my pocket also. I'm not playing Reyes in a tounament, I'm just playing a friend for fun and want to see what would happen.
Not a bad thought..playing a friend.:D Actually I like your shot but shooting the 1ball into the left side of the 7ball is a little more risky and difficult than shooting it into the right side of the 7ball. Allow me to explain my thinking on your choice as opposed to my suggestion.:) Considering the position of the cue ball (2" from rail) and the distance needed to travel before contacting the 1ball (8 feet) you should be concerned with maintaining some control with all balls, especially the cue ball. By hitting more of the 1ball with a slight elevation you will then be able to control the cue ball much better. Plus it's an easier hit when aiming at a full ball as opposed to aiming for a cut with a ball. Especially from the distance referenced:eek: As far as you trying to get the 1ball going toward your pocket off the carom would be Imo ..over kill.. you don't need that with the score the way it is, and also with the degree of difficulty that hit carries.

I hope that I helped you and maybe next time you play your friend you'll do better. Just in case you need it.;)

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
There's a clear path to a rail-first kick on the 1B (between the 2B & 11B). Any opinions on kicking the 1B to the end rail & dropping in behind the 7B? Pace of the CB is critical of course, but even I should pull that one off.
I don't know what picture you're looking at but from the picture i'm looking at your shot is not available. Granted your option (if available) is a good one especially considering the availability of other options and the degree of the difficulty they carry. To execute your option Cory would have to hit some where close to the center diamond on the side rail and it doesn't look to me that he can hit close to where he needs to hit to make that a good option.:sorry As far as the playability of the shot is concerned providing it's available is inviting. Also the results needed to make the option a good one...in terms of creating congestion with the balls is Imo, also there. Your option would be my first choice if it was available, just the score of the game itself would dictate that, not to mention the degree of difficulty with the remaining options.

Dr. Bill

mosconiac

Verified Member

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Lets go back to the original position before Cory shot. In order for Cory to even begin thinking about playing the shot that he opted to shoot the angle of the shot had to be perfectly in line to get the results he got. That's for openers, then he had to be able to execute the shot perfectly...just the way he did....Keep in mind had he made the bank he would of still been in trouble, any other result other than the one we're looking at would not of been good. The key to the shot that Cory opted to shoot was in the speed of the 12ball (which needed to end up by the pocket, makeable from anywhere on the table and the cue ball must be in back of the 2ball.)

Your shot doesn't do what the requirements are to choose the shot as a good option. My contention with the shot choice is two fold. The position of the balls on the table and the score of the game. Secondly, the likelihood of achieving the desired result needed to make this option viable.

Your option Imo is challenging the sound principles that we need to employ in situations like this one and in one's similar to this one.:sorry Sorry Tyler for being so direct but solid play will get you the results needed more often than spectacular play will. Cory is a spectacular player that challenges sound principles more than he should, Imo. Which has been evidenced with his soft break playing 9ball and his wide open break playing one pocket:eek: However, there will be times when his occasional unorthodox style of play will benefit him. Not to say that this was unorthodox ...just a little bit of a stretch.:D

Dr. Bill

I appreciate directness.
:D

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

This is an interesting option and not without merit but imo in this particular situation there is a potential real problem with the shot you have described. Here is the way I see the shot unfold by kicking off the side rail and into the one. On one hand the hit on the one should not be very difficult to make and obtain the desired cue ball result. The problem is in what happens to the one ball. Mr. Mosconiac, this shot must be hit with a delicate speed so as to lay the cue ball under the seven but at the same time the one ball will likely drop to the end rail and rebound enough to give Reyes a free bank to his hole. That is unless the shot can be hit so as to lay the cue ball on the right side of the seven. A tall order and one which accomplishes little because nothing really gets cleared from Reyes' hole. Even if the shot is hit so the seven lays dead on the bottom cushion the seven can still be banked bank back towads Reyes' side of the table and the cue ball sent back up table thereby putting Cory right back in the frying pan. Reyes will also have other options from this position because the seven will not have moved very far from Reyes's side of the table.

Your shot works best when you have a ball or two on your side of of the table but can't get to them and there are blocker balls on the end rail which can be used to snuggle up against.
Tom

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Not a bad thought..playing a friend.:D Actually I like your shot but shooting the 1ball into the left side of the 7ball is a little more risky and difficult than shooting it into the right side of the 7ball. Allow me to explain my thinking on your choice as opposed to my suggestion.:) Considering the position of the cue ball (2" from rail) and the distance needed to travel before contacting the 1ball (8 feet) you should be concerned with maintaining some control with all balls, especially the cue ball. By hitting more of the 1ball with a slight elevation you will then be able to control the cue ball much better. Plus it's an easier hit when aiming at a full ball as opposed to aiming for a cut with a ball. Especially from the distance referenced:eek: As far as you trying to get the 1ball going toward your pocket off the carom would be Imo ..over kill.. you don't need that with the score the way it is, and also with the degree of difficulty that hit carries.

I hope that I helped you and maybe next time you play your friend you'll do better. Just in case you need it.;)

Dr. Bill

I have just recently started playing 1P and I'm addicted. I started playing 1P less than 6 months ago and my game (knowledge and skill) has increased leaps and bounds. My cue ball control and safety play is much stronger. My banks are stronger and with pocket speed (plus controlling the cue ball).

Which the shot choice I mentioned - this would be a good test of 'what not to do' while I'm playing friends for fun. If I was playing for money and playing percentages then I'd probably softly bank the 7 onto the 1 while trying to keep the cueball on the rail.

Keep up these 'What Would You Do' because I'm learning everyday from them.