S. Daulton vs. J. Hall 2012 Tunica

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
I'd probably screw it up, but against most folks I would attempt to bank the 4 off of the short rail into the near side of the one, either making it or crossing it over toward my side. I'd be trying to draw the cue slightly behind the stack. I did think about letting the cue drift forward toward the short rail near Daultons pocket but (hopefully) there'll be alot of traffic in there that could screw things up. If it worked there's no doubt I would lose the six, but I think my position would be improved and his maybe not so good as it is now.

Against Daulton I'd have to play the carom off the four, making the six and crossing the four back to my side, then running on out. It's probably my only hope.

bstroud

Verified Member
Looks like you can shoot the 4 into the left side of the 1 and follow to the rail near the 8 ball.

Not a great shot but will buy some time.

Another shot is to shoot into the 4 ball and park the cue ball on the 3 ball. Since the 6 ball is near your pocket it could be a good shot.
If you don't hit it perfectly you will probably lose the game.

Bill S.

8andout

Verified Member
i like banking the 7? into the 11 sending both of them to my side and parking the cueball between the 3 and the 14 in the stack.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
If the angle is there to kick bank the 1ball I would consider shooting it. I believe Daulton shoots this shot well. Also. If you notice the position of the 9ball near the long rail, that ball is very advantageously positioned for Daulton if. He chooses to shoot this option.

Dr. bill

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Play off the 11 and freeze on the 14 and 2 so I might get a better opportunity to move the one on my next shot. The 6 ball is close to my pocket so its a threat and my opponent will have to be careful returning from the position I left him in.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
i like banking the 7? into the 11 sending both of them to my side and parking the cueball between the 3 and the 14 in the stack.

If this shot laid right I would like it but I think it lays more like this:

P.S. You would also risk giving up the 3/1 combination.

good idea.jpg

Dennis

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
The views are somewhat deceiving sometimes. We all know that. It is just the nature of the beast. But I wouldn't be surprised, if Shannon can reach it, cut the 6 in and run the cue ball up into the stack splitting the balls wide open. :eek: The trouble is I can't tell how severe the angle is on this shot. Otherwise I like something along the lines of what Billy has suggested or using the 4 to bank the 1 across to my side. Stick the cue ball on the corner of the stack and maybe loosen a ball there as well.

Tom

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
The views are somewhat deceiving sometimes. We all know that. It is just the nature of the beast. But I wouldn't be surprised, if Shannon can reach it, cut the 6 in and run the cue ball up into the stack splitting the balls wide open. :eek: The trouble is I can't tell how severe the angle is on this shot. Otherwise I like something along the lines of what Billy has suggested or using the 4 to bank the 1 across to my side. Stick the cue ball on the corner of the stack and maybe loosen a ball there as well.

Tom

Damn. Cutting the six in was actually my first thought but it looked to me as though it were way more than 90 degrees. After your post, I whipped out my handy dandy pocket size framing square and discovered that at least in the photo it is considerably LESS than a 90 degree cut. Probably a viable shot for someone such as yourself or Shannon.

bstroud

Verified Member
If the angle is there to kick bank the 1ball I would consider shooting it. I believe Daulton shoots this shot well. Also. If you notice the position of the 9ball near the long rail, that ball is very advantageously positioned for Daulton if. He chooses to shoot this option.

Dr. bill

I also looked at this shot and would have shot it if I thought I could hit the 9 ball and not leave a bank.

It is an easy kick but a little hard to control the cue ball.

Bill S.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
kick

kick

Bill's move kicking one ball with center left on cue ball to force cue ball into nine ball. medium speed.

treeMan

Verified Member
My priorities would be: not leave a shot on the 1, and not let the oppo see the 6.

I would go soft off of the left edge of the 8, and snuggle under the 1. The eight should move up a few inches and block a return shot on the 6.

If I could move the 1 away it's even better, but I can't see how to do that AND protect the 6.

Haven't seen the other replies yet, I expect someone posted this. It's a pretty standard shot but I'd focus on blocking the 6 with the 8.

tree

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I think I'm hitting the 4 into the 1 and get the qb to freeze to the 15. This should make the 6 ball reply tough and hope the 4 and 1 leave the area without much of a kiss.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I think I'm hitting the 4 into the 1 and get the qb to freeze to the 15. This should make the 6 ball reply tough and hope the 4 and 1 leave the area without much of a kiss.
I looked at this shot as a possible option and it is a viable option, however, if I played this shot I would shoot the 4ball into the bottom rail and then into the 1ball. Shooting it in this fashion will take away ...just about any return shot with either the 4 or 1ball. It will certainly take away all double kisses. Shooting this option in the way I described will clear the pocket safely, and from this position IMO that's what needs to be done, as opposed to moving balls toward your hole.
Dr. Bill

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
There's also another shot that I have shot many times from similar positions as this. This shot is a more risky shot but if lays right is a strong shot. From this position the shot plays much easier for a left handed player, like Daulton. You can either bank the 6 ball two cushions back to your pocket and take the 1ball out with the cue ball, or bank the 6ball 1-1/2 cushions and take the 1ball out and play the 6ball in a safe position. This position looks to be marginal at best to choose this option. However Daulton can comfortably reach the shot and he banks great and handles the cue ball great as well. For him it would be an option.

Dr. Bill

treeMan

Verified Member
That 8 ball looks frozen or almost frozen to the rail making any play off it very chancy. Double-kisses come easy here.

I agree, didn't look closely and thought the eight is a little bit off the cushion.

Since none of the other options are very attractive, I think I'd just kick long ways behind the 1.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Perhaps still remembering a similar shot he messed up in game 1 and over the protestations of co-commentator S. Frost (who recommended kick-banking the 1 and letting the rock hit the 9 ball), SD decided to draw off the 11 into the stack:

sd's shot1.jpg
sd's shot2.jpg

Leaving Hall here:

sd's leave.jpg