what's the best pocket size/dimensions for 1p?

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
think 4.25 should work fine in the dry air you'll have most days.

How about this: 4.5 in the south, 4.25 in the north, the mountains, and the desert? But special setup for tournament play with new cloth, .25 smaller than each of those. Could the bottom corners be shimmed in a way that would allow the shims to be taken out after the tournament? Seems like that might come close to ideal.
Thanks, John. I have a set of all leather removable pocket shims made for a GC that tighten the pockets about .75" (corner pockets only). They are made any longer but came in various sizes and were the closest pocket liners I've found to do what you suggested.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
4.5 seems to be the sweet spot these days for onepocket.
No it isn’t. I have never heard a pro say they prefer a 4.5 pocket. In fact I played a 734 FargoRate player at Griffs last night and he said the 4 1/2 table we were on was no good for 1P.

I can’t decide between 4 1/8 or 4 1/4. The tighter pockets allow more banking close to the pockets and the ability to take out balls that can’t be done on bigger pockets.

Last edited:
Reactions: lll

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
That's my logic on going 4.5" and even at that size it's not like it's easy to pocket balls, it's what most tournaments use isn't it?

What size pockets at Griff's? Buffalo's? I know every pool room has 1 or a few special tighter tables for one pocket matches but for the regular table size on tournaments what are they using?
Buffalo bought 8 new Diamonds. All are 4.25
Most of Griffs tables are procut at 4.5 but the action tables are either 4.125 or 4.25 I can’t remember.

Reactions: lll

MrBouncy

When I ordered my home table last year I got 4.25" pockets, 4.125" would only be useful for 1p in my opinion and the bulk of my solo practice time is still in 14.1

Accepting that I'll never get my high run on my home table I find it to be a great balance of difficulty and playability, and quite enjoyable for the serious minded players that visit .. casual folks I just warn that it's tougher than most anything else they're likely to come across.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I don't care what pros prefer. That wasn't the question I answered. All the ones at DCC are 4.5 as are most of the Diamonds in the country. I have nothing against 4-1/4 pockets if they play good and I'm playing a gambling match . 4-1/8 don't work in the real world. Most of us don't have access to those or 4.25 pocket sizes either so in my mind they aren't preferred. If you remember the seniors tournament where they were bunting for hours because the main table was too tight. Although those 5 hour bunting matches are interesting, personally I don't consider that preferred.
No it isn’t. I have never heard a pro say they prefer a 4.5 pocket. In fact I played a 734 FargoRate player at Griffs last night and he said the 4 1/2 table we were on was no good for 1P.

I can’t decide between 4 1/8 or 4 1/4. The tighter pockets allow more banking close to the pockets and the ability to take out balls that can’t be done on bigger pockets.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
After playing on tight equipment, its hard to go back to 4.5". When your player lays a ball up in the pocket, and you have to concede it almost always, it takes away from the game in my opinion. 4.25 should be the standard pocket in tournament play. For that matter, the tables should be recovered two weeks before the tournament and then allow normal play. This will take the slide out of the tables, but they are still new and it helps with the offense. The balls should be polished before each match. Whether we will ever get to that level remains to be seen, but every sport has standardized equipment. We should too. For gambling, the parties can decide. For practice, whatever you prefer. In my view, we at onepocket.org should push for standardized conditions in professional tournament play. Diamond tables, 4.25 pockets, Simonis cloth recovered 14 days before the event, and standardized pool balls and cue ball polished before each match. Can we do this?

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I don't care what pros prefer. That wasn't the question I answered. All the ones at DCC are 4.5 as are most of the Diamonds in the country. I have nothing against 4-1/4 pockets if they play good and I'm playing a gambling match . 4-1/8 don't work in the real world. Most of us don't have access to those or 4.25 pocket sizes either so in my mind they aren't preferred. If you remember the seniors tournament where they were bunting for hours because the main table was too tight. Although those 5 hour bunting matches are interesting, personally I don't consider that preferred.
You said “4 1/2 was the sweet spot” I disagree.
Derby is 4 1/2 only because that’s their standard ProCut size and they are also using those tables for Banks And 9 Ball.

evergruven

Verified Member
the pros like small pockets as playing even it favors the best players greatly.

what the pros in any sport favor. rarely helps the good or average player.

great point.

the tables should be recovered two weeks before the tournament and then allow normal play. This will take the slide out of the tables, but they are still new and it helps with the offense.

I get the logic of this, but from a fan's perspective, I feel like cloth shouldn't have to be broken in with play.
I understand if the cloth's condition changes over time, but believe it should be ready to play on out the box/off the roll.
this said, I'm all for standardized conditions, games, rules, etc. pool's diversity is a gift and in a way, a curse, I guess..

tables being level is a good thing.

lot of interesting and informative comments in the thread, thanks y'all

ps I think I saw one post mention 4.375..compromise between the 4.25 and 4.5 crowds- ?

beatle

Verified Member
hope you are happy with it as that is what counts on your own personal table.

i will be looking for your video
of you running 5 balls in one pocket after the fix.
  • :giggle: