Never pay retail ...

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
New Yorkers learn that mantra in the crib; perhaps in the womb.

So, I met this cue-maker at a social event. We got to talking and he ended up discounting a never-used cue by 20%. Back story: he had custom-made it for a left-player who had fallen on hard times. I’m right-handed — hence the bargain price.

Naturally — recognizing the value, and being assured that I could adjust to the ‘wrong-handed’ cue within a month or so — I snapped it up.

Some street-smarts can be acquired only on certain avenues of life.

Sunny

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
I've never heard of this - How can you tell? Is there an 'L' or a 'R' under the wrap? Do I have to go to the cue-maker?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
If you hold it out in front of you like you are checking to see if it's straight or not, you should be able to see which way it leans. That's how I was always able to tell which handed cue it was for.

• Haha
Reactions: lll

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Like when I've done eye dominance checks holding out a ring w/my fingers while centering it at a distant object?
I get different results when I do that multiple times.

And if you hold it out and check does that lean affect when you shoot off-handed/opposite (when you don't want to use a bridge)?

Good advice, as usual from 1Porg. I wonder how long it's going to take me to work through all my cues..

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
I like to keep a cue just for my draw follow shot
Anybody remember a player named Wild Bill who would show up at tournaments in Nor Cal and Reno with a giant case on wheels with at least 20 cues and he seemed to have a special cue for particular shots? He'd screw them all up and have them at the ready for his matches and would use many of them in a single game. He also had a bunch of left handed and right handed cues because he was ambidextrous. You can't make this stuff up!

• Wow
Reactions: lll

Skin

Verified Member
I've never heard of this - How can you tell? Is there an 'L' or a 'R' under the wrap? Do I have to go to the cue-maker?
The weight bolt screws in clockwise for right-handed, counter-clockwise for left-handed. That's how the balance is dialed to R or L. Doh! :cool::D