MOT player eligibility poll -- Facebook members

Should we allow Facebook members to qualify for our MOT's?

• Yes, without any Fargo limit

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Yes, with a Fargo limit of 650

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Yes with a Fargo limit of 700

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • No, players need to 100% qualify here in the forum

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
My only concern is the loss of "community" opening up Facebook to the MOT. Not because of any skill level issue or the possibility of some who may try to snap off the tournament (snipers😲😂), but because what made/makes our tournament special is we all look forward to see our brethren spending time with and competing with our friends.

I love the idea of growing the popularity of our chosen sport through other sites like Facebook, but I'm concerned about losing the "family" feel of the MOT just because some want to fill the the field after a smaller than normal sign up...what if Facebook members fill up the tourney before our senior website members can get in?

To me, the feel of this particular tournament is more important than how many play. I really don't want anything to happen that feeling.

Dave

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
My only concern is the loss of "community" opening up Facebook to the MOT. Not because of any skill level issue or the possibility of some who may try to snap off the tournament (snipers😲😂), but because what made/makes our tournament special is we all look forward to see our brethren spending time with and competing with our friends.

I love the idea of growing the popularity of our chosen sport through other sites like Facebook, but I'm concerned about losing the "family" feel of the MOT just because some want to fill the the field after a smaller than normal sign up...what if Facebook members fill up the tourney before our senior website members can get in?

To me, the feel of this particular tournament is more important than how many play. I really don't want anything to happen that feeling.

Dave
I agree — but it’s not just about “filling the field” — it’s about viability of a members only tournament period, if you look at the trend.

Just last month we were supposed to have a mini at Lacy’s on the Saturday during Buff’s big tournament but we had only a handful of forum members — we had to cancel that completely.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
1. Gas prices and inflation right after a pandemic...
2. Very expensive beach location at peak tourist season..
3. There was also like 6 tournaments this year in a horrible economy.

Dcc,Buffs,MOT,Southaven,Seniors,Europe

Things will get better as without adding Facebook to the MOT at this time.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
1. Gas prices and inflation right after a pandemic...
2. Very expensive beach location at peak tourist season..
3. There was also like 6 tournaments this year in a horrible economy.

Dcc,Buffs,MOT,Southaven,Seniors,Europe

Things will get better as without adding Facebook to the MOT at this time.
All excellent points crabbman.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Do we really think Chip or Gabe Owen are going to play in our member tournament? Both have been active on our Facebook one pocket page, as well as Scott Frost, Jay Bird Jason Brown, Alex Pagulayan and Tony Chohan. We should encourage the pros to our page and I don't think they are looking for low hanging fruit by playing in our tournament. If they try to play, a quiet message will be enough to deter this conduct, but like I said, they aren't interested in our little tournament. Now old guys, like Ike, Parica or Efren, would you really want to turn them down if they wanted to play?
Short answer? YES

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
The usual tournament directors organizers and volunteers that helped run every tournament the last 6 yrs have decided not to attend this one. More on all that after the MOT is over... Seems nobody has even noticed you have no tournament director.

I am not in favor of opening this particular tournament to non members as it changes the qualifications well after the rules have been announced, entries have been taken and travel accommodations been planned. I know I wouldn't put my TD reputation behind that decision. 😕
We have always added players to every tournament. John Ralwski, Chicago, and several players at CB.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Look at this poll, it is 3 yes choices and just one no choice. Yes, is easily going to win this. It is already 11 to 5.
Maybe the fb participants are finally participating in our forums, I got to laugh!
I guess this poll is going to qualify them for an MOT event. I still got to laugh!

But I do not see how this is fair to the verified members that have signed up for this event, for they 'were' expecting to be playing against their fellow verified members!
The verified members that have signed up for this MOT should be the only one's voting. Ask them what they want, it is their earned event.
Whitey

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Look at this poll, it is 3 yes choices and just one no choice. Yes, is easily going to win this. It is already 11 to 5.
Maybe the fb participants are finally participating in our forums, I got to laugh!
I guess this poll is going to qualify them for an MOT event. I still got to laugh!

But I do not see how this is fair to the verified members that have signed up for this event, for they 'were' expecting to be playing against their fellow verified members!
The verified members that have signed up for this MOT should be the only one's voting. Ask them what they want, it is their earned event.
Whitey
If the vote goes that way, then of course anyone who signed up for the MOT but decides they want to withdraw because the field is opened up to Facebook contributors, they can always do that. I would venture to guess that most of our players would be happy to see more players in the tournament however.

One thing about Facebook is that by and large, people join Facebook openly, with their real identity and photos of them available as well -- whereas here in the forum, we can basically join and carry on anonymously if we wish. In fact some of our long active members, we still do not know exactly who they are. We need the "verified" particularly here because of that anonymity. That's actually a plus for Facebook.

If we have verified members signed up for the tournament who would withdraw because of a change like this, I agree with you, because I would hate to see that. Are there any of you leaning that way??

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Can we be honest here? The website is dying. Fewer people are joining and participating. People are using other social media instead of the old website model. Facebook is at least 20x more active than our website. Some of us are die hard onepocket.org only. Others only use Facebook. Some use both. The onepocket.org Facebook page should not be treated as a second class citizen. Our mission is to grow one pocket interest, knowledge and participation, not become elitist snobs that demand you use the website only. The MOT is fine, but it is only a small part of what we do. We should be embracing our one pocket brethren, in whatever forum they choose. And that includes the MOT. I think our average age on the website is well over 70 years old. If we don't reach out to the younger enthusiasts, we are going to end as a viable voice for one pocket. That's just the facts.

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
I agree with this completely. To be honest, we need to embrace the younger generation to keep it going. I know a ton of young players that play great one pocket that have desire to be on a forum but are on other social media sites.

I am pretty sure that I am the youngest guy that has actively participated in a lot of the tournaments and I am 45 years old!!!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
BR,
I have not participated in our face book. Do the members mainly discuss our OP.org forums?
If so, then if the member that threaded does not participate in face book then they have no idea there is another discussion going on.
Is there any sense of just how much face book OP .org has affected the OP.org forum participation?
thanks, Whitey

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I don't have a problem with Facebookers playing in our future tournaments if they are designed that way. Just not one that is a month from starting with 16 players already signed up and travel arrangements made. Not fair to them to change the rules mid stream.. Now if Steve contacted each player personally signed up and got every players permission that would be different.. But he hasn't done that. He just told them they can pull up if they don't like it. Good thing we are all friends...
If your gonna have Facebook players that's fine, but let me tell you. If you pulled something like this over there look out.
The blow back over there would be incredible.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
If we have verified members signed up for the tournament who would withdraw because of a change like this, I agree with you, because I would hate to see that. Are there any of you leaning that way??
Now if Steve contacted each player personally signed up and got every players permission that would be different.. But he hasn't done that. He just told them they can pull up if they don't like it. Good thing we are all friends...
No, but I invited anyone who feels that way to come forward. The change isn’t a done deal yet anyway — when I posted the poll I did not know which way it was going to lean — I know and respect that we have solid tradionalists here. But there being only 16 signed up I can go ahead and personally ask. Anyone who might have issues can also hit me with a PM if they would rather it be on the DL.

Being good friends is the best part!!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I don't have a problem with Facebookers playing in our future tournaments if they are designed that way. Just not one that is a month from starting with 16 players already signed up and travel arrangements made. Not fair to them to change the rules mid stream.
The question also is, would those 16 rather have a small turnout without a change in eligibility or would they rather have a little larger turnout (presumably), with a change in eligibility that has been approved by a vote?

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
The question also is, would those 16 rather have a small turnout without a change in eligibility or would they rather have a little larger turnout (presumably), with a change in eligibility that has been approved by a vote?
I don't consider 16 members a small turnout... I would consider that a success with everything thats going on....You wouldn't have to start at noon on Friday either.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I went to Marion Military Institute back in the early 1980s. They used to have classes on Saturday. When asked why, their answer was "We always had class on Saturdays." Tradition enforced for tradition's sake is no answer. They don't have classes on Saturday now. If it doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense. And enforcing rules for their own sake doesn't make sense when your tournament is only 50% full. I would respectfully suggest that some of the members lighten up and show some flexibility. Remember that the whole point of the tournament is fraternity and growing the game, not making some elite club that only a few can be in.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
BR,
I have not participated in our face book. Do the members mainly discuss our OP.org forums?
If so, then if the member that threaded does not participate in face book then they have no idea there is another discussion going on.
Is there any sense of just how much face book OP .org has affected the OP.org forum participation?
thanks, Whitey
No, they mainly discuss one pocket tournaments and action matches, and share one pocket questions and WWYD. You should log on and see for yourself. It's very active, with over 4,000 signed up as of today. If you don't like it, you can always go back to the mothership.

BRLongArm

Verified Member

There is a reason there are over 3 billion members of Facebook, Whitey. It's free, it's easy, it's popular and its a good social media platform. People vote with their feet in this world. And the one pocket players have voted with their feet and are using Facebook now instead of the website. It looks like there are fewer than 40 active participants on the website. Our onepocket.org Facebook page has been fully embraced by the one pocket community. You should try it.