Hollywood and Pool

baby huey

Verified Member
Playing in and around Hollywood in the late 60's and early 70's there were quite a few celebrities around pool. Here are a few who I met and sometimes played. Most of them went to Celebrity Billiards and the Billiard Den. I'm sure the Ghost and Doc would remember many more. Hollywood was a magical place for pool in these years. A lot of money was changing hands and some of it was from these celebrities who often staked players.
- Phil Specter
- John Brasia (John the Dancer)
- Ronnie Cahn (James Cahn's brother)
- Bo Belinsky ( Angels Pitcher)
- Wolfman Jack (rock n' roll radio DJ)
- Walter Allston (Dodgers Manager)
- Fred Astaire
- Art Aragon (Boxings original Golden Boy)
- Skoey Mitchell ( African American Comedian)
- Henry Ringling North ( Co Owner of Ringling Brothers Circus 3C Player)
- Jackie Gleason ( Never saw him play but he did come into the Billiard Den a few times)

keoneyo

Verified Member
I played Richard Pryor 14.1 in 1968 in Ye Billiard Den. Also met Telly Savalas there at that time. Did a episode of Kojak with him as well. His brother Demosthenes used to drive a Red Cab and came in there as well. Telly used to carry a Hoppe cue.
James Garner made an appearance from time to time. Of course Peter Falk used to come in. And Neil Young came in with Dallas Taylor (drummer for Cosby, Stills, Young, and Nash). Jimmy Caan used to come in and get the 7 from Diliberto and they toyed with him although Jimmy was probably the best player out of all them stars. His brother Ronnie was a degenerate gambler and was in there every nite.
I eventually worked with Jimmy in Honeymoon in Vegas, Alien Nation, and his own tv series Vegas. He was a kid from Brooklyn and loved to mix it up.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Playing in and around Hollywood in the late 60's and early 70's there were quite a few celebrities around pool. Here are a few who I met and sometimes played. Most of them went to Celebrity Billiards and the Billiard Den. I'm sure the Ghost and Doc would remember many more. Hollywood was a magical place for pool in these years. A lot of money was changing hands and some of it was from these celebrities who often staked players.
- Phil Specter
- John Brasia (John the Dancer)
- Ronnie Cahn (James Cahn's brother)
- Bo Belinsky ( Angels Pitcher)
- Wolfman Jack (rock n' roll radio DJ)
- Walter Allston (Dodgers Manager)
- Fred Astaire
- Art Aragon (Boxings original Golden Boy)
- Skoey Mitchell ( African American Comedian)
- Henry Ringling North ( Co Owner of Ringling Brothers Circus 3C Player)
- Jackie Gleason ( Never saw him play but he did come into the Billiard Den a few times)

Jerry, 3 memories initially come to mind...at Ye Billiard Den...

Ronnie Cahn 'donating' to me :)

Scoey < correct spelling Mitchell, drove an all-white inside and out, brand new Cadillac - we'd always look for that car parked outside - you couldn't miss it...Scoey was good action.

They weren't regulars, only saw them once...but one night late, around midnight, in walks Elliott Gould and Donald Sutherland...they got the table in the far back right corner and played 8ball with each other for a coupla hours and then left.

- Ghost

keoneyo

Verified Member
Forgot to mention Phil Ochs the songwriter used to come in as well.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Jerry, 3 memories initially come to mind...at Ye Billiard Den...

Ronnie Cahn 'donating' to me :)

Scoey < correct spelling Mitchell, drove an all-white inside and out, brand new Cadillac - we'd always look for that car parked outside - you couldn't miss it...Scoey was good action.

They weren't regulars, only saw them once...but one night late, around midnight, in walks Elliott Gould and Donald Sutherland...they got the table in the far back right corner and played 8ball with each other for a coupla hours and then left.

- Ghost
Stu Gilliam used to come in with Scoey. I dont know if you remember that comic. He had a tv series called Roll Out. It got cancelled, I heard, when Stu pulled an axe on one of the producers.There were some crazy times back then.

beatle

Verified Member
jimmy cahn played at 7,11 before he made it big. played well.
his brother was sweet, as well as jack klugman, and falk.
telly couldnt play at all but would bet it up.
flip wilson moaned and cried the whole time he lost.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Stu Gilliam used to come in with Scoey. I dont know if you remember that comic. He had a tv series called Roll Out. It got cancelled, I heard, when Stu pulled an axe on one of the producers.There were some crazy times back then.

No Keone, I don't remember him.