Ghost vs. Gil 1. - end game

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Hey Mike howzitgoin'. No offense, but it wouldn't bother me if you, or some other normal human player attempted to thin-cut-bank that 1ball from 9 ft. away....now if I was playing Thorpe, Sky, or Tony, and they were banking it, I might be a tad bit apprehensive. 😶
Try it, you might like it, even for an ordinary human, not that hard if your eyes are good enough to see the edge of that one ball and you have learned a trick or two about aiming with left english. Hard to get hurt even if you hit it a little thick.

Reactions: lll

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
I, too, have troubled, knowing when that kiss is on in these kinds of situations, Steve
But I look at it based on your diagram, the one bowl traveling about five diamonds or so to get to the intersection of the yellow and white line
The cue ball is going about a diamond and a half
That’s why I don’t think that kiss is on
My cincern really was if you cut it a little too thin the one ball comes off the short rail and hits the 10
That’s why I thought that he might aim to have the one ball go wide

ghost
I’d like to know how you think about when there is and when there is not a kiss and whether you played the one ball wide to the side rail or straight towards the corner?
Larry, my take on the shot is that you want the one ball to hit the 10 ball because then you don't leave the return bank shot. If you hit the one a little thinner than Ghost hit it, the one ball hits the short rail two or three inches from the pocket, and the cue ball comes off the rail faster too so the kiss is completely off.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry, my take on the shot is that you want the one ball to hit the 10 ball because then you don't leave the return bank shot. If you hit the one a little thinner than Ghost hit it, the one ball hits the short rail two or three inches from the pocket, and the cue ball comes off the rail faster too so the kiss is completely off.
thanks mike
the return bank on the 1 you mention above looks like about a half ball hit to me
so not that thin a hit....:unsure:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
So Ghost, you hit it something like this? Nice shot, and props to you -- I did not see that one.Kind of the way you would two-rail the 1-ball to your pocket, if your pocket was up on this end, toward the camera?

Nice shot and nice WWYD brother!!

View attachment 442672

Edit I see my end positions are not exact -- but the general idea anyway...

Yeah Steve, that's exactly how I hit it.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Although top players (Tony Chohan especially) seem to have narrowed or eliminated what I always thought was a dangerous kiss zone on those two-rail banks lol -- maybe Ghostie too :LOL:

What do say Ghost?

Steve & Larry....when there's a definite kiss angle on that 2-railer, and you're shooting with a natural crossing cueball, the kiss can't be avoided...in matches, I've seen Tony, Thorpe, etc. shoot it/trying to avoid it, and they still got the kiss.

p.s. the 'million ball system' lets me know when unavoidable kisses ☠️ are lurking 🧐

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.

This video I did before poolboy 79 posted this shot, and after Ghost stated banking 1 ball 3 rails was not available, and that is how I knew how to respond to poolboy 79's post.

You can see I adjusted the position of the cb in this video. The previous position was incorrect and that made my previous videos invalid, of which I clarified in a previous post.

But some were wondering about the kiss in doing this 2 rail defensive shot, so I thought I'd go ahead and post the video.
I used High Left on the cb because I wanted to slow the cb down and to make sure I did not scratch. So I did not get as close to the foot rail with the cb as Ghost shot excellently did.
Ghost hit it very well. It is not an easy shot to pull off !
Whitey

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Like Rudolph Wanderone did, he'd practice shots like this, till he got it right!
After practicing a shot such as this, one realizes, it becomes a 100% cueball shot over and too the head rail.

1P Student

Thanks for joining in, I very much hope you continue. For me, this is how I have learned so much about the game. Taking these different scenarios to the table and working on them. Often times there is a scenario that matches the knowledge of a master and they lets us in on their hard learned knowledge, and wow it is quite a shot.
Welcome,
Whitey
Thank you. And, thanks for the videos you create on these scenarios. They are very helpful!