Fun Corey Deuel runout

jalapus logan

Verified Member
Hopefully I did this right and the video starts at 1:19:30. Anyway, Corey sure does see 'em differently than many players. He is fun to watch. I like how both commentators called the 3 railer on the green six ball....Corey called it differently, lol. I can't for the life of me understand how Corey isn't on the top of the heap sometimes, he is an amazing player.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
The reason? He made 6 shots, including a trick shot , then sold out a straight in to lose the game. I think Corey is and was an amazing player, but he doesn't play the score and he doesn't embrace the grind enough, . 2 fatal flaws at 1 pocket. jmo
That said , he is capable of beating anyone on a given day.
It is possible he forgot he owed one, until after he went to the end of the table, but he can't make a mistake like that at his level.
The last game he shot that bank and scratched , which was another mental error, he didn't need to take that chance of spotting another ball, the 6 was out of play forever , so he was a huge favorite, just kick the ball out of play. Then he whiffs the 6 and loses.
4 big mental errors in 2 games , I didn't watch the rest , but thats at least 3 too many.

Last edited:

jalapus logan

Verified Member
The reason? He made 6 shots, including a trick shot , then sold out a straight in to lose the game. I think Corey is and was an amazing player, but he doesn't play the score and he doesn't embrace the grind enough, . 2 fatal flaws at 1 pocket. jmo
That said , he is capable of beating anyone on a given day.
I reckon this sums it up about right. I wonder if he just doesn't have a high drive to win? Seems like he tries shots just to see if he can execute them. I can kinda relate to that. It's a game after all. But I'm not out there trying to earn a living off of pool either, and he most certainly is.

Nevertheless, regardless of his motive, I find myself tuning in whenever I find one of his matches, and then I prepare myself to rewind the tape a few times...🤣🤣🤣

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I reckon this sums it up about right. I wonder if he just doesn't have a high drive to win? Seems like he tries shots just to see if he can execute them. I can kinda relate to that. It's a game after all. But I'm not out there trying to earn a living off of pool either, and he most certainly is.

Nevertheless, regardless of his motive, I find myself tuning in whenever I find one of his matches, and then I prepare myself to rewind the tape a few times...🤣🤣🤣
No doubt he is exciting to watch. I have had the feeling Corey lost his love for pool long ago, but it's still more fun than roofing.

jalapus logan

Verified Member
No doubt he is exciting to watch. I have had the feeling Corey lost his love for pool long ago, but it's still more fun than roofing.
You're prolly right, but yes, pool surely beats working for a living. Then again, I kinda value my house, 401k, etc. I suppose I can't complain. I don't think I noticed retirement benefits listed in the job posting for Pool Player, lolol

El Chapo

Verified Member
I think Corey is a very weak player for his speed. If I had to guess he’s too caught up in dazzling people rather than simply winning matches.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
It feels to me a little diferent with corey he is not about the spectacular shot it is more that he over thinks the stratagey and gets in his own way. That being said he still ends up beating most people until lyou get into the top 20 one pocket players in the world.

Reactions: lll

jalapus logan

Verified Member
I think Corey is a very weak player for his speed. If I had to guess he’s too caught up in dazzling people rather than simply winning matches.
There is something to be said for dazzle, after all, trick shots are a thing for sure. That said, he is not in the business of dazzle. His trade is allegedly winning.

I get in my own way too. My very, very limited way, 😭😭😭

OldSchool

Verified Member
I wonder if he just doesn't have a high drive to win? But I'm not out there trying to earn a living off of pool either, and he most certainly is.

I don't know how he could be doing that. He doesn't play big $$$ challenge matches, and he doesn't usually finish all that high in tournaments, so it seems to me that he can't be making a living from playing pool. That said, I know nothing about his personal life. None of my business, but I wonder, has he also had a job over the years?, or family money?, or a wife or girlfriend (boyfriend o_O) that pays the bills?

Reactions: lll

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I think Corey has been dividing his attention for a few years, pool and golf and maybe more that I don't know about, and that is the main reason he isn't playing as well these days. But I always like watching him -- he is super creative and has a world class stroke when he lets it out!

El Chapo

Verified Member
There is something to be said for dazzle, after all, trick shots are a thing for sure. That said, he is not in the business of dazzle. His trade is allegedly winning.

I get in my own way too. My very, very limited way, 😭😭😭
Idk. I think his shot selection often centers around doing stuff that nobody else does or can do. That’s just how I see it I’m not an expert on his game. I e watched enough pool to know he should have been a top 5 player for many years though and it’s not his heart or skill it’s something about him wanting to prove he can do it his way. Let me put this another way… I think a guy like Corey dream win is a final and he ends it with some dramatic shot whereas a player like buddy hall doesn’t give a flying f he just wants to win the tournament.
I mean seriously is this a debate… who was a better shooter buddy or Corey. And then look at their tournament records. I think the other possibility is what others have noted, he lost interest because pool kinda sucks you get 4 grand for something you should really get 4 million for… but that’s what I’m getting at… he lost interest and that resulted in him going for the stupid dazzle routine shots.