Efren's/Fat's two ball spot shot / 3 Ball Whitey Spot Shot!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
This is from Fast Lenny's thread of Reyes vs. Scott $5,000 Challenge Match. We appreciate it Lenny. This showcases one of the greatest shots in One Pocket. He hit it beautifully. The technique as depicted in this match by Lenny, is to draw the cb back. Unfortunately he was unable to finish this game winning shot with a make on his final ball needed.

I first seen this shot I believe when Minnesota Fats/Allen Hopkins played Willie Mosconi/Steve Miserak on national TV. This shot came up and it is Fats turn, and he drilled it, while the other players were muttering in disbelief; "he is going to go for it"!
Enjoy, Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
the "3 Ball Whitey"
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EyBkJSw5fujHndHk9
For new members that have not seen this shot!
poolisboring thought this shot was possible and it became a reality.
I suggest enlarging the video and slowing it down to the max to really see how this is stroked.
Enjoy, Whitey
Some members have tried it, but no has made it as of yet.
Good Luck! There are a lot of pool physics involved.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
For many that don't know, Evelyn said to me in our live documentary video 6 wks after his passing '' fatty played his best pool from ''1940-51''.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
the "3 Ball Whitey"
I suggest enlarging the video and slowing it down to the max to really see how this is stroked.
Enjoy, Whitey
I've not tried the shot. Will try to remember to give it a whirl. Looks like the CB is shot with one tip of high right, or is that just because of the camera angle? Seems like, as with the "okey doke", it should be low spin. OTOH the low is to get forward roll on the head ball for that shot, whereas in this case the forward roll needs to be on the second ball.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
the "3 Ball Whitey"
Enjoy, Whitey
This shot came up last week in our ring game. Thx for the vid. Whitey, where exactly did you cue, on whitey/Whitey :)

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
On the 3 Ball Whitey, I believe I am just stroking above center with inside reverse english. Cue followers straight through on the angle you see in the video. Slow down the video, that will help. This shot will drive you crazy but it is sure a pretty site when it goes right in the hole. I believe I am hitting the ob somewhere between 3/4* to 7/8 full, going by memory for that was a couple years ago.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xpHhtTwVfB5obkvdA
Here is the 2 ball spot shot, but stroked it slightly differently than Efren stroked his shot. I used a little inside reverse to get the 15 to also go towards my hole, I do not believe Efren did this. Efren's way is played different to play a safety draw.

What other ways are there to do the 2 ball spot shot?
Whitey

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I rarely shoot the shot in a game (maybe I should), but I think the most common way to shoot it is place the CB about a diamond away from center and use straight draw hitting the first ball about 7/8 thick, or at least that's how I was taught and have always seen it shot. Thanks for the vids Whitey, nice shooting!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
In a rotation ring game with 3 balls on the spot in line, no others balls to ''shake up'' I've always given that shot back to the shooter. I'm gonna try it today. Thanks Whitey, and this time I'm not referring to the cue ball :).

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
In a rotation ring game with 3 balls on the spot in line, no others balls to ''shake up'' I've always given that shot back to the shooter. I'm gonna try it today. Thanks Whitey, and this time I'm not referring to the cue ball :).
This shot has ate me alive, but today I did it right off the bat, two times in a row. I position the cb inside the quadrants of 1st diamond head rail and 2nd diamond side rail. I stroked it today with just straight center elevated cue 5 degrees with some force to catch the side rail and get in behind the balls on the foot rail.

Thanks, for trying the shot guys! Whitey

In reviewing this shot in slow motion it appears I hit further below center than I thought.

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I almost always shoot that shot the two frozen balls on the spot because I feel really good about my cue ball control and I am fairly high % to make the ball I would bet 5 trys to make the head ball on almost any table in the world

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
wish I had time for more but one day I will. I am still trying yoru three ball pinch shot will try to post a video when I get it.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Whitey, I hate you! Why do you introduce these types of shots to us mere mortals???? (Just kidding, appreciate you showing us new stuff).

I tried this shot probably 50-80 times with following being my best sequence for sure. The first one made me mental as it was my best chance. Thanks.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Whitey, I hate you! Why do you introduce these types of shots to us mere mortals???? (Just kidding, appreciate you showing us new stuff).

I tried this shot probably 50-80 times with following being my best sequence for sure. The first one made me mental as it was my best chance. Thanks.

It is the kind of shot that can drive you completely crazy, and you end up doing it your 50 - 80 times. I'll give you a hint when this happens, just do it 20 times and if it does not happen leave it alone until the next day and give it 20 tries, otherwise your mind can loose it, and it just might eat you up a live. This is how I captured the "Worlds Hardest Cross Corner Bank" on video, 20 attempts at a time.
Your first shot was a killer, I can not believe it held up.
thanks for trying the shot! I really appreciate it! Whitey

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I didn't try it 50 times, but I get the idea. I could get the center ball rolling toward the hole, but it usually went at least a half diamond wide. I was using high english, about a 3/4 ball hit. Looks like Dave was using low. Maybe that's the ticket. I was shooting it from the intersection of the first diamond from the corner on the head string. Should it be less of an angle?

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
A nice little shot! I’ve seen a video of both balls going - the top ball directly and the bottom one as a double bank, off two short rails. Will try to find it - it’s a thing of beauty!

I recall DiLiberto saying in one of the matches he commentated (don’t recall which one) that you should only attempt this shot when you need two, never when you need just one ball.

On another occasion (I believe it was the 2nd legends tourney), the player at the table attempted this shot and quite a bit of squabble developed between Grady and Billy/Buddy as to the spin required to be used on the CB. Grady was advocating for the right spin which Buddy countered with “right is for the other man’s pocket”. Everyone burst out in laughter. However, if memory serves I believe Grady was right on that occasion as you need to squeeze the top ball in the direction of the pocket so you apply the opposite spin to where your pocket is. Does anyone remember that match?

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
When you hit the r/s of the head ball with ten to eleven o'clock spin....( shooting angle coming in for spin transfer is critical. When conditions are humid and dirty the transfer is greater).....the speed of the cue ball and shot angle into the head ball is critical....to create the proper transfer of spin too the second ball. Striking the cue ball somewhere between 12 o'clock and 9 (l/h cut) or 12 and 3 (r/h cut).....then forward somewhat horizontal plane cue ball (10-11 o'clock hit with left applies right spin on the obj. ball, then transfers the opposite spin to the second ball causing it to go left. I remember decades ago seeing this shot, but had totally forgotten about it