Collection Of One Pocket Shots

kanzzo

Verified Member
This thread is intended for posting any kind of special One Pocket shots. Famous, fun, critical, crazy or just nice looking. I like practicing some nice looking one pocket shots I find in books, instructional videos or actual matches. And recording them for personal reference. My thought was, that posting this shots might help others or inspire someone else to practice them, recognize them next time they come up in a match and using them to beat their opponent.

kanzzo

Verified Member
Was practicing the shots from Pool Monsters' 99 Critical Shots in One Pocket (One Pocket - 99 Critical Shots - YouTube) last week. Couldn't reproduce shots #74 and #99 on my table, so these two shots got replaced. But the other shots looked quite nicely on video and I just finished the "Remake" of the 99 Critical Shots in One Pocket:

Last edited:

Pogue

Well-Known-Member
From
Mainz, Germany
Place an OB frozen to the second Diamond at the foot end of the table. Place CB along footstring so that it is directly in line with this OB. Hit the OB about 80% full, with a hair below center hit on CB. Adjust fullness of hit on OB til you double kiss bank it directly in your hole.

Become a wonder to kids and pets far and wide.

beltsander bill

Verified Member
I would like to add two consecutive shots by Tony Chohan to his must see shots. However, they ccurred in the Texas Open nine ball event. They happened during the second rack of his second round match with Jude Rosenstock. For those that have access to reruns of pool action tv replays, look at day 8 replays around 9:38 time line. I would post the clips but not sure it would be legal .. really in the grease..

kanzzo

Verified Member
I would post the clips but not sure it would be legal .. really in the grease..
Pretty sure you can post clips. Just quote, where you got it from. It's a teaser and advertisemant for PoolActionTV

Last edited:

kanzzo

Verified Member
this guy has a bag of shots
One Pocket - 99 Critical Shots - YouTube
(don't know how he does in the grease with em...)
Could make 97 of the 99 of these shots 🥳 in my remake video above. But indeed a great collection of One Pocket shots.
and, of course....
Tony Chohan: Best One-Pocket Shots on POV Pool! - YouTube
(all of em hit in the grease...)
But Tony in this first set against Orcollo 🤯.
I mean I do recognize lots of the shots and practiced them and made them on video. But it took me 5-20 tries on most of them to make them (some shots from the video took over hundred tries 😅). To make that many of them on first try in a money match is crazy. (But the shots are great. Thanks for reminding me of this video. I'll practice them and record a remake.)

Last edited:

kanzzo

Verified Member
This Shot # 54 (2 rail kick to bank in front of your pocket) took me probably over 100 tries to make it.

How do you play/aim this one? Running english, no english, rolling, stunning into the first rail? What is the best way to play this one (highest percentage to hit it good)?

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
This Shot # 54 (2 rail kick to bank in front of your pocket) took me probably over 100 tries to make it.

How do you play/aim this one? Running english, no english, rolling, stunning into the first rail? What is the best way to play this one (highest percentage to hit it good)?
If you are tempted to shoot this shot in the grease, I get first dibs on your action next time we meet at Hague5 or anywhere else.

kanzzo

Verified Member
If you are tempted to shoot this shot in the grease..
I'd consider hitting it very well if I hit top side of the ball to bank it in front of my pocket (1 sqare foot area in front of the pocket)

kanzzo

Verified Member
yeah, that would be a very successful outcome for that shot...but would you ever shoot it in a match?
You are trapped behind the stack and have a ball in front of your opponents pocket. If I practiced the shot and know my chances (60-80%) of hitting the ball well - why not?

54.JPG

The way the balls lie in the situation above (#Shot 54) hitting the ball at all (even on the wrong side) will lead to a good outcome quite often. And not a lot of other balls favoring my opponent.
In short: there will be situation where I'd go for the shot. As you may have noticed from our match in Hague 5 😅:
I am not afraid to go for aggresive shots if they can win the match for me. But I will prepare myself for situations like this spending lots of time alone at the table setting up the shots hundreds of time and practicing them. Being able to estimate quite well my chances to make them.

But I am curious to hear what others think. WWYD? (Above sitiation, you have right pocket marked with X)

(And if you'd go for the 2 rail kick - bank: How do you play/aim this shot?)

Last edited:

kanzzo

Verified Member
...but would you ever shoot it in a match?
I wouldn't go for Mitch's shot in a match though. I am only about 10-15% to make this ball and I will leave an easy bank for my opponent very often if I miss. The risk-reward ratio of this outcome doesn't appeal to me 😄

(But this is exactly why practicing these shots is so important. So you know your success rate and see all the situations you leave for your opponent when you miss. Some shots may look pretty crazy but are actually quite safe. (And vice versa))

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I start with Mitch's Ball of the Tournament from this years Hague 5 OnePocket.org tournament:

I think that shot is in my book -- but if you ask me, you guys both hit it wrong :oops: (shots are never wrong if they win you the game though, are they???

In my opinion, you're supposed to follow -- with a touch of inside if necessary -- to run the cue ball back upstairs. That makes it a whole lot safer. I never like leaving the cue ball and object ball both down in the scoring end of the table in the end game. But like I said, if you make a shot and win with it -- it must have been the right shot 100% :LOL::LOL:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
I wouldn't go for Mitch's shot in a match though. I am only about 10-15% to make this ball and I will leave an easy bank for my opponent very often if I miss. The risk-reward ratio of this outcome doesn't appeal to me 😄

(But this is exactly why practicing these shots is so important. So you know your success rate and see all the situations you leave for your opponent when you miss. Some shots may look pretty crazy but are actually quite safe. (And vice versa))
It’s important to note that I needed one and my opponent needed two, and the second ball was uptable hanging in a pocket and out of play, so I could win with that shot on that turn but not lose. Also that to me I was still the favorite if the game came down to “one ball” Both of those things factored in my decision before shooting.

kanzzo

Verified Member
It’s important to note that I needed one and my opponent needed two, and the second ball was uptable hanging in a pocket and out of play, so I could win with that shot on that turn but not lose.
Your chance of making the ball is also probably higher than my 10-15%. (Since you made it on first try under pressure.) 😅
And people are still talking about the shot. This never happens if you just continue playing safe for another 30 minutes 😝

Last edited:

kanzzo

Verified Member
In my opinion, you're supposed to follow -- with a touch of inside if necessary -- to run the cue ball back upstairs. That makes it a whole lot safer. I never like leaving the cue ball and object ball both down in the scoring end of the table in the end game.
Sounds like very solid advice. I'll try the shot later the way you recommend.
Leaving both balls down in the scoring end of the table if missed is also the part I don't quite like about this shot.

Pogue

Well-Known-Member
From
Mainz, Germany
You are trapped behind the stack and have a ball in front of your opponents pocket. If I practiced the shot and know my chances (60-80%) of hitting the ball well - why not?

View attachment 441474

The way the balls lie in the situation above (#Shot 54) hitting the ball at all (even on the wrong side) will lead to a good outcome quite often. And not a lot of other balls favoring my opponent.
In short: there will be situation where I'd go for the shot. As you may have noticed from our match in Hague 5 😅:
I am not afraid to go for aggresive shots if they can win the match for me. But I will prepare myself for situations like this spending lots of time alone at the table setting up the shots hundreds of time and practicing them. Being able to estimate quite well my chances to make them.

But I am curious to hear what others think. WWYD? (Above sitiation, you have right pocket marked with X)

(And if you'd go for the 2 rail kick - bank: How do you play/aim this shot?)
You do see the 15/3 combo is nearly dead, and if you don't get the kicked ball close, you are going to be in a terrible trap next shot, yeah? You need to watch some Efren matches, and what he does to people who leave him uptable with something like the 15/3 on the table.