Bluegrass Billiards WWYD 12

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
looks like you have to cross the 10 and cb to long rail then behind balls. I dont think you can bank it and get there or it looks like a kiss.

Renegade_56

Verified Member
This what I be doing. No better chance to win the game then running out from here. Cutting the 6 in and killing the CB by your opponents long rail is Not for the weak of stroke! It takes a certain technique to accomplish this shot without over powering the stroke. The extreme 7 O'clock English will help some to throw the 6 into the pocket, allowing me over-cut the 6 to not run into the 13, (the CB will curve) a little bit.

PS; This shot takes a very 'low level' cue & low bridge. Also, the tip needs to stay on the CB a little longer than normal, but Not firmly.

View attachment 437931
is that even possible, and keeping the cue ball at the long rail? Don't even look right to me, too thin a cut to kill the cue ball even if you could draw it back that far, again because the cut is so thin.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
is that even possible, and keeping the cue ball at the long rail? Don't even look right to me, too thin a cut to kill the cue ball even if you could draw it back that far, again because the cut is so thin.
I drew the line from the 6 ball to the long cushion to an extreme to see if anyone would mention I might run into the 13. In actuality, the CB would end up about 4" lower. I explained in detail exactly how "I" would attempt the shot.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I drew the line from the 6 ball to the long cushion to an extreme to see if anyone would mention I might run into the 13. In actuality, the CB would end up about 4" lower. I explained in detail exactly how "I" would attempt the shot.
I don't think anybody here thinks that shot can be made as diagramed. Doesn't look like you could clear the 11 ball......... :)

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
If you put the CB on the bottom rail next to the 1 ball, doesn't that leave a free shot on the 10 ball if you haven't moved it?

Jakie

Verified Member
From
Naples Fl
Since that last wwyd was well received, I kept an eye out last night during my weekly match with Eddie McDermott for another. Side note: Eddie and I have been battling since I was 16 years old and first walked into the poolroom. 35 years! He is one of my best friends and we talk one pocket, shots, and action reports on a daily basis. If you ever find yourself in Philly, we can be found duking it out at Bluegrass Billiards on Thursday nights from 7:30 to midnight. He is a lurker here as well. I hope that everyone here is fortunate enough to have an Eddie.

ok back to the action….

It’s your shot. There is no score. Your pocket is to the right (closest to the 9 and 14 which goes but is most definitely, off angle).

Plenty of options here! Wwyd??
View attachment 437927View attachment 437928View attachment 437929
My choice would be to play the cue ball softly off of the right edge of the 10 ball to a point on the long rail just below the first diamond leaving the cue on the short rail between opponent's pocket and the 1ball. 10ball moves to center of the table taking the bank out of play. The 6ball shot is viable and very tempting but since we are quoting Eastwood movies here - "a man has to know his limitations".
Thanks Mitch - good WWYD

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
I would bank the 10 across into the 15 medium speed attempting to get a ball near my hole. Keep the CB up high where the 10 is now. He's got a lot of balls in the way from there and no shot at his hole.
I considered this but ruled it out. Since it was not overly likely to score a ball in my hole, and left him a return bank on both the 9 and 14, I did not like the trade off.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
I'm shooting the 13 off the 15 ball carom, cb 1 rail to the 1/3. 13 should be at least a threat for him to deal with. My 2nd choice was to cross the 10 ball to my side and put the cb behind the 1/3.

Honestly I did not see this and think it may be the best shot mentioned in the whole thread. Not difficult, moves a ball by your hole, and hides Rocky. Only issue is leaving a potential bank on that 10 but it’s no hanger. Sidenote: KY you have been a consistent poster and member for a long time and are a really good player. We have lots of guys who should be considered if/when we sponsor players to tournaments and I think you should be on that list for sure.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Cut the 6.
For all those in favor of cutting the 6…. I saw the path as clipping the 4, then the right side of the 2, and finishing under the 14 or knocking it away. Based on that the gopher was not worth it imo with so many other options.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
I like crossing the 10 to my side and lay the CB down on the 1/3 if I can. The reason I like this best is because if I can get my opponent on the 1/3, they won't have the 10 ball to come off of or bank towards their hole and leave me long on the 9/14.

If I execute and stick them on the 1/3 my opponent's entire table will be cut off so they can only try to take an intentional or tap the 1/3 and be on the wrong side of the balls.

Thanks for another WWYD Mitch!
Cincy this was the correct shot in my opinion when I was at the table. In fact, my exact words to Ed were “The correct shot here imo is to come off the 10 to take the return bank out of play and leave you under the 1….. BUT that’s NOT what I’m gonna do 😂😂😂😂

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
This what I be doing. No better chance to win the game then running out from here. Cutting the 6 in and killing the CB by your opponents long rail is Not for the weak of stroke! It takes a certain technique to accomplish this shot without over powering the stroke. The extreme 7 O'clock English will help some to throw the 6 into the pocket, allowing me over-cut the 6 to not run into the 13, (the CB will curve) a little bit.

PS; This shot takes a very 'low level' cue & low bridge. Also, the tip needs to stay on the CB a little longer than normal, but Not firmly.

View attachment 437931
This looks impossible to me. I see hitting the 4 or best case the 11 and if it does and we don’t pocket the 6 it’s good night Irene.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Agree with the 10. Stop shot with some authority.
Frank think about when you are in the chair and the other guy is about to bank a ball into the stack going towards your hole. How you have to hold your breath. That’s what’s almost guaranteed to happen after your shot. Then it’s a matter of which of you gets a good roll and is off to the races. Why play that game if you done have to? No leaving visibility on this balls on my long rail as a return is a hard pass for me.

Reactions: lll

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
I don't like the 9-14 combo-kazi, and if I cut the 6 I will run into the 11, so I am banking the 10 across and snugging up to the 1-3 - same as Chris. Early trouble for my opponent. Pretty sure my next shot will be better. I'll wait.
Genius as usual Bill.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
if you cant cut the 6 go practice some more. you can win the game and maybe even leave him nothing if you miss.

when its time to shoot, shoot dont balk (eli wallach)

I normally agree with you Beatle but not this time. I hated the path of the cue ball after cutting the 6. If I knew I would get a shot this would be a much more tempting option imo

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
From the pictures I can't stop my cueball for the 7 , that means I am going to hit the 11 and move 4 balls in front of his hole , I then end up with the 2 12 combo, I think I would take the 10 off his side and roll down beside the 1. If I was playing decent I probably make the 6 8 out of 10 times rolling the ball but I can't slither the cueball over there for the 7 ball,1 out of 10. If that.
Don’t you ever miss?? Heh. That was the smartest shot imo while I was at the table. Though not what I shot 😂

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
There have been a number of good options presented here so there is no need of my reiterating them now, I will say what I will not be doing and that is (in no particular order of importance), banking the 10 with a stop shot. this will not likely result in my pocketing a ball but will likely leave the cue ball exposed to the opposite side rail and anything in that general area.
I will not play the open off angle combo. Having such a commanding positional advantage there is no need to take this risk at this time and should the shot be made there is no guarantee of an additional shot

I would not play such an aggressive shot as the 5-8 combination for the same reason. The situation is already well in hand. the game only requires 8 balls for the win and there are a number of caroms taking place. That in my opinion makes for a complicated shot, A double kiss somewhere during the shot could spell disaster. Why risk it when there are so many simple safe moves that can result is far easier answers?

And I would not cut the 6 though that shot can certainly win the game outright. The shot is also missable, even by excellent players.
Any of these shots can be game winners but they can also backfire on the shooter. If I were sitting in the chair given the poor position I am now facing, I would welcome my opponent choosing any of these shots. simple because my chances of winning this game are greatly diminished if I come to the table with the cue ball jammed up under the 1 and 3.

Much of what we are discussing falls on the ability the the shooter and that of the opponent. As 3C likes to mention. This is how "I" would play it. To each there own but I hope I've pointed out a good bit of logic in my analysis of this situation.

Cheers,

Tom
Loved this post and the reasoning for passing on several shots. Loved it so much I picked up the phone to call you Tom, but alas, I got a new phone a while ago and lost several numbers including yours. Your lucky day I suppose lol.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
My choice would be to play the cue ball softly off of the right edge of the 10 ball to a point on the long rail just below the first diamond leaving the cue on the short rail between opponent's pocket and the 1ball. 10ball moves to center of the table taking the bank out of play. The 6ball shot is viable and very tempting but since we are quoting Eastwood movies here - "a man has to know his limitations".
Thanks Mitch - good WWYD
I like this but if I’m shooting it I’m putting the cue down behind the 1/3 it seems more natural and with your shot you could leave a couple offensive returns. If I see the 14 you have big problems or even the 2 rail on the 12 that you like. Just my opinion of course. Can’t wait to see you my brother.