Updating of our One Pocket rules

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Maybe the reason I fail to understand how "in alignment" can mean anything less than the bottom row of balls would also be in alignment with the bottom rail, is that I personally do not use that method for aligning the rack. I sight from the bottom center of the table, up through the three object balls that run down through the center of the rack toward the center diamond on the top rail. I do often see people looking across the bottom row of balls, but when I do that, I do not see anything in line with that bottom row to help me verify the correct orientation of the rack, so it doesn't really work for me. One of these days one of you advocates of eyeing the bottom row of balls can tell me what it is you are looking at :)
Maybe just add...

"in other words, don't tilt the rack" 🤣😂🤣

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
I don't see any reason to stipulate a re-rack with ball made on the break depending upon who racks. Why confuse the rule? If re-rack is the rule, just leave it at that.

I agree with re-rack. Whoever breaks already has the advantage. Why should he be given the extra added advantage from lucking in a ball on the break?
I agree. The rule as currently written implies that the player has rigged the rack which isn’t true in 99.9% of cases so why differentiate?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
In alignment with the table is just a simple way of saying care should be taken to not tilt the rack. It matters more in One Pocket than it does in other games, so it makes sense to mention it in game rules, rather than leaving it solely to general rules.

Maybe we should add something more to make it clear that templates cannot be used for One Pocket?
Not tilting the rack, if it is mentioned at all, does not belong in the rules of one pocket. It is a general rule.

Bob, where is the general rule for racking? I just looked and don't think I found the general rule for racking that you are talking about.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
... Bob, where is the general rule for racking? I just looked and don't think I found the general rule for racking that you are talking about.
There is a diagram in the definitions area. There is no explicit written rule that you are not permitted to manipulate the position of the rack to gain an advantage. I would lump that under unsportsmanlike conduct.

If you are going to make rules against all the possible ways an opponent might try to cheat, your list will be long.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
A tilted rack to me, is no different than racking the head ball Not on the spot.
It's just wrong, flagrant foul.
Extremely important in one hole for the back row to be not slanted at all.
I'm sure in 14.1 days it was extremely important, or you could bank/carom the wired corner ball call shot.
Similar I guess to making a ball on the break in 1 hole.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Maybe the reason I fail to understand how "in alignment" can mean anything less than the bottom row of balls would also be in alignment with the bottom rail, is that I personally do not use that method for aligning the rack. I sight from the bottom center of the table, up through the three object balls that run down through the center of the rack toward the center diamond on the top rail. I do often see people looking across the bottom row of balls, but when I do that, I do not see anything in line with that bottom row to help me verify the correct orientation of the rack, so it doesn't really work for me. One of these days one of you advocates of eyeing the bottom row of balls can tell me what it is you are looking at :)
I have never understood when people look from the side rail across the table trying to line up the back row of balls to insure they are "square" to the table. When I look at that, there appears to be an optical illusion that changes from one side to the other, which makes it less than credible.

Looking either from the foot rail, or better yet from the head rail (because a little distance helps) and lining up the center balls with the diamonds provides the best perspective to make sure the rack is aligned and straight....:)

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Along these lines, if you will go to the head of the table and either bend down or back off until you can see the top of the balls against the line of the cushion, it's easy to tell. Not only for racking, but for lagging also.

This assumes, of course, that the cushion is straight - but you have to assume something. :unsure:

Correction - sight against the farthest edge of the table's foot rail.

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I have never thought about using the end rail to line up the rack, but if it helps great!

I personally look at the center balls as Steve mentioned previously. If there is a line there, its easier but without one, I just try to make sure the center balls are perpendicular to the short rails and parallel to the long ones the best I can.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
There is a diagram in the definitions area. There is no explicit written rule that you are not permitted to manipulate the position of the rack to gain an advantage. I would lump that under unsportsmanlike conduct.

If you are going to make rules against all the possible ways an opponent might try to cheat, your list will be long.
Thank you. OK I looked at that and that further makes it clear it's good to include something in our rules, because there is nothing in there about alignment with the table in any manner -- except maybe the apex of the rack along the center line of the table :)

In my opinion, vagaries invite shenanigans -- and arguments. We are trying to avoid that. Rules in general also minimize cheating, by establishing a fair baseline of competition. BTW it is not cheating if there is no rule against something, and as I read the WPA rules, there is nothing in there that makes it clear a slight tilt even, is not allowed. It's just a picture, without anything saying it has to align. It "looks" aligned, but that isn't saying much.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
We could add further definition to "in alignment with the table", but honestly I do not understand how that simple phrase is not enough. Different rackers, obviously from the above comments, align using different methods. Any of them work if the two players are satisfied by checking using their own preferred method. I do not see the need to specify either something like, "in symmetrical alignment with the long string" or "parallel to the foot rail". Either of those are covered by "in alignment with the table" imo. Maybe I am beating a dead horse.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
We could add further definition to "in alignment with the table", but honestly I do not understand how that simple phrase is not enough. Different rackers, obviously from the above comments, align using different methods. Any of them work if the two players are satisfied by checking using their own preferred method. I do not see the need to specify either something like, "in symmetrical alignment with the long string" or "parallel to the foot rail". Either of those are covered by "in alignment with the table" imo. Maybe I am beating a dead horse.
I agree with you, it is enough.

The non-racker must learn to protect themselves if they believe the racker is gaining an advantage whether intentional or not. It's not a rules thing, it's a sportsmanship thing.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
So if the rack is flagrantly not in line but ''outtaline'' from your point of view......and opponent says it's fine then by what premise do you go by, to bring up your point to tell him he/she is Wrong?
Telling your opponent it's not aligned with the table, could be taken negatively in the heat of the moment with someone you don't know.
Telling anyone you just met they are ''outta line'' :censored: is not the best way to start your relationship/moment.
So how Much in or out of alignment is tolerable?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
So if the rack is flagrantly not in line but ''outtaline'' from your point of view......and opponent says it's fine then by what premise do you go by, to bring up your point to tell him he/she is Wrong?
Telling your opponent it's not aligned with the table, could be taken negatively in the heat of the moment with someone you don't know.
Telling anyone you just met they are ''outta line'' :censored: is not the best way to start your relationship/moment.
So how Much in or out of alignment is tolerable?
Either method of alignment — bottom row of balls parallel to the bottom rail or center axis of the rack aligned with the center diamonds. Either way would get the same result — at least up to the point that two players are ever able to agree on anything — if they are intent on disagreeing. 😆😆

I called out a cue ball placement once and the guy totally refused to move it back — even a token amount just to humor me. That kind of thing will happen sometimes. You can either press on for a likely escalation or back off and let it go. Or quit I guess. Or try to get a ref over to make ruling. I let it go. The same thing will always be possible with racking. Maybe — just maybe — it wouldn’t if the proper rack location was traced on the table, like you do see sometimes. But it certainly would not fly to make a rule that the table has to be marked.