One Ball One Pocket

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
poolactiontv is hosting these professional one ball one pocket tournaments, using the standard rules: defensive opening shot, one pocket thereafter. It doesn't matter what we think from here on out. Our squabbling is irrelevant; the train is leaving without us. In three years, everyone will play it like they see it at the tournaments.

It seems like some of the posters in this thread think it is their job to invent a better version rather than just standardizing what most people are already doing. Standardizing just means write them down so that anyone who has a question can look it up. It does not mean "improving" or reinventing it.
Yup, the rules I posted above definitely reflect how they played at Buff's. Buff's played without foul limits last year; maybe they will again and mybe they won't -- that remains to be seen. The rules I posted have foul limits only as OPTIONS, anyway. DCC I believe is going to use the "needing 3 is lose of game" option for their mini -- but that also remains to be seen.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
poolactiontv is hosting these professional one ball one pocket tournaments, using the standard rules: defensive opening shot, one pocket thereafter. It doesn't matter what we think from here on out. Our squabbling is irrelevant; the train is leaving without us. In three years, everyone will play it like they see it at the tournaments.

It seems like some of the posters in this thread think it is their job to invent a better version rather than just standardizing what most people are already doing. Standardizing just means write them down so that anyone who has a question can look it up. It does not mean "improving" or reinventing it.
lets all re read this post..... 🤓

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
For those that think I have no right to suggest a game rule or to even discuss it, think again! There seems to be some animosity towards me.
I and Steve worked on his game rule writing together. Yes, the one that is posted on post 261. You will notice I never posted again once that game rule was posted, until recently. So, I have a vested interest in this game rule writing, and thus have every right to make comments. My main input was with the opening defensive shot, Steve and I put in much thought on this.

Steve and I were also involved in the game rules of a current major tournament. DCC is now using OP.org rules for their go to rules when a scenario arises that their rules do not cover, and of course I played a major part in our Official Rule development. Steve, not in public, but personally has related to me that rules would not be near what they are without my input.
So, no train has left my station. Steve and I have worked on future rule endeavors and intend to continue this endeavor if we can work out some details, and it would have many positive impacts upon many areas of OP that you all enjoy.

So, when I suggest to Steve, this is what I do. If I do not suggest then how can Steve, make an informed decision. I am no puppet and say what he wants to here, that would not benefit anyone. I do not care about good ole boys, WPA, anybody else's rules, or long-standing rules, or anything else but what is good for the game, and how it is played, which for me I also put a high standard of play and rules before anything else. That way it makes rule writing easier.
You guys would not last one week with working with Steve on rules, I went 20 months on the official rules and on many more areas such as this OB-OP mini tournament stuff. You guys have no clue what is involved in writing a rule!

The game rule that I wrote is 245 words, and it covers 6 different combinations of how the game of OB-OP can be played. It is suggestive, no forcing my rules upon anyone. I am no different than any other member, I can only suggest, I cannot make rules!
You guys try to write something like that and let me critique it! Good Luck!

So, the first shot has to be a safe shot, it is as simple as that. With BIH anywhere behind the line, I can lay the ob right in front of my hole and leave the cb up table on the head rail. Not hard to do, I did it many times in working through the process that Steve ended up using that is not within the 1st diamond quadrant. It has to be a non-offensive shot, and Steve decided not within one diamond of the breaker's scoring pocket.
Using the wording 'safe' is much different than using the wording 'non-offensive' and for the rule to be totally correct it needed a criteria, 'not within the 1st diamond of the breaker's scoring pocket'. So, I'd be careful about handing out thumbs up, without thinking it through!

Whitey

Last edited:

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
For those that think I have no right to suggest a game rule or to even discuss it, think again! There seems to be some animosity towards me.
I and Steve worked on his game rule writing together. Yes, the one that is posted on post 261. You will notice I never posted again once that game rule was posted, until recently. So, I have a vested interest in this game rule writing, and thus have every right to make comments. My main input was with the opening defensive shot, Steve and I put in much thought on this.

Steve and I were also involved in the game rules of a current major tournament. DCC is now using OP.org rules for their go to rules when a scenario arises that their rules do not cover, and of course I played a major part in our Official Rule development. Steve, not in public, but personally has related to me that rules would not be near what they are without my input.
So, no train has left my station. Steve and I have worked on future rule endeavors and intend to continue this endeavor if we can work out some details, and it would have many positive impacts upon many areas of OP that you all enjoy.

So, when I suggest to Steve, this is what I do. If I do not suggest then how can Steve, make an informed decision. I am no puppet and say what he wants to here, that would not benefit anyone. I do not care about good ole boys, WPA, anybody else's rules, or long-standing rules, or anything else but what is good for the game, and how it is played, which for me I also put a high standard of play and rules before anything else. That way it makes rule writing easier.
You guys would not last one week with working with Steve on rules, I went 20 months on the official rules and on many more areas such as this OB-OP mini tournament stuff. You guys have no clue what is involved in writing a rule!

The game rule that I wrote is 245 words, and it covers 6 different combinations of how the game of OB-OP can be played. It is suggestive, no forcing my rules upon anyone. I am no different than any other member, I can only suggest, I cannot make rules!
You guys try to write something like that and let me critique it! Good Luck!

So, the first shot has to be a safe shot, it is as simple as that. With BIH anywhere behind the line, I can lay the ob right in front of my hole and leave the cb up table on the head rail. Not hard to do, I did it many times in working through the process that Steve ended up using that is not within the 1st diamond quadrant. It has to be a non-offensive shot, and Steve decided not within one diamond of the breaker's scoring pocket.
Using the wording 'safe' is much different than using the wording 'non-offensive' and for the rule to be totally correct it needed a criteria, 'not within the 1st diamond of the breaker's scoring pocket'. So, I'd be careful about handing out thumbs up, without thinking it through!

Whitey

😱 holy moly what a post.

It looks like with your “vested interest” maybe you should “copywrite” or “trademark” the rules so you can sue whoever uses them without your permission. 🤦🏻‍♂️

What the heck are you looking for?🤷🏻‍♂️

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
steve and whitey
thank you for your time /effort/ and passion to make the rules as good as possible
(y)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i reposted this again because i think by improving the language to avoid ambiguity and contradiction in the rules as you standardize
is a good thing
but to quote above "It does not mean "improving" or reinventing it."
jmho

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Whitey,

I am not one to disparage your rule writing efforts, and certainly have no animosity towards you. I think your historical knowledge about pool and your videos demonstrating shots are admirable. I believe you when you say that working with Steve even for one week is..... well........not easy.

I think some get frustrated when these types of threads seem to go on and on........rather than just seeing them as discussions and conversations to explore ideas or just to pass some time. I myself am a blabbermouth and enjoy the intercourse, while others may just want it to end (when all they have to do is not click on the thread).

So, here's what I think is a much simpler and effective opening break rule and an opportunity for you to be the critic......enjoy :)

The Game Break.
"The game begins with the OB frozen to the foot rail at the center diamond. The breaker, with CB BTL, must direct the OB initially to the opponents side of the table under penalty of one ball if he fails to do so."

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Whitey,

I am not one to disparage your rule writing efforts, and certainly have no animosity towards you. I think your historical knowledge about pool and your videos demonstrating shots are admirable. I believe you when you say that working with Steve even for one week is..... well........not easy.

I think some get frustrated when these types of threads seem to go on and on........rather than just seeing them as discussions and conversations to explore ideas or just to pass some time. I myself am a blabbermouth and enjoy the intercourse, while others may just want it to end (when all they have to do is not click on the thread).

So, here's what I think is a much simpler and effective opening break rule and an opportunity for you to be the critic......enjoy :)

The Game Break.
"The game begins with the OB frozen to the foot rail at the center diamond. The breaker, with CB BTL, must direct the OB initially to the opponents side of the table under penalty of one ball if he fails to do so."
if i may be bold enough to critique your rule
see post #357 and #369
you are completely changing the way the break is played by forcing the breaker to put the ball on his opponents side
i will repeat brlongarms ideas of writing the rules
"It does not mean "improving" or reinventing it."

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Whitey,

The Game Break.
Isn't the normal saftey break shot towards the side pocket on "Your" side of the table, not the opponents...

Reactions: lll

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
if i may be bold enough to critique your rule
see post #357 and #369
you are completely changing the way the break is played by forcing the breaker to put the ball on his opponents side
i will repeat brlongarms ideas of writing the rules
"It does not mean "improving" or reinventing it."

Larry,

I don't wish to argue the point, I am simply replying to Whiteys post giving him an opportunity to play critic as he requested. However for your edification let me say this. You already know I am not in favor of OP.org offering rules for OBOP, so this post is simply about answering Whitey's request in a limited and specific way......I hope it does not offend you

There is no rule and never has there been a rule requiring players to break as they do today. They simply have figured out what they want to do. They will do the same under any rule they play by. There is also no requirement for the break to be an advantage or a disadvantage for the breaker. I am primarily addressing the turmoil we have experienced trying to define a "defensive" shot. With the currently proposed rule we now have to measure whether the OB is in or out of the restricted zone, we have to decide whether we use the base or the edge of the OB, we have to decide if a rebreak is available. All of this is unnecessary, and poor rule writing, and that is what I am addressing...rule writing.

I am not forcing the breaker to put the OB on his opponents side of the table. He may hit the shot at any speed he wishes, He may play a defensive shot or he may play an offensive shot as he pleases. I am not requiring anything of him other than what it says. Players will decide on their own how much of the apple they want to bite off. From that position on the opening break there is no offensive shots available, so it becomes pretty obvious what players will learn to do. Lastly, whatever a rule requires, whether it is considered an advantage or a disadvantage to break, each player will get his turn and so there is no advantage to either player.

No fuss, no muss, no qualifications is the best..... :)

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Whitey,

The Game Break.
"
The game begins with the OB frozen to the foot rail at the center diamond. The breaker, with CB BTL, must direct the OB initially to the opponents side of the table under penalty of one ball if he fails to do so."
bbb