What's the List of 3C players that played OP!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I am not necessarily talking about great 3C players nor just the very great OP players. But players going way back to today. Since being a member I've learned of a few. As we know if you are some what proficient in 3C it adds a lot to your game of OP.
Any additional stories are of course welcomed.
thanks, Whitey

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Jim Spears (Flyboy) was/is an excellent 3 cushion player.
On a scale from, 1-10, Jimmy was a 4-5, 3C player. He and I are friendly adversaries, and have gambled for Big$ giving him 25 on 50. Artie also played him giving a spot, so did NYC Pancho. For the money, Artie played 3C good enough to beat any pool/3c player other than Efren, of course Worst and Shorty even. Fats played well enough one game to 50 at 3C to beat Eddie Robin in the 60's.

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
On a scale from, 1-10, Jimmy was a 4-5, 3C player. He and I are friendly adversaries, and have gambled for Big$ giving him 25 on 50. Artie also played him giving a spot, so did NYC Pancho. For the money, Artie played 3C good enough to beat any pool/3c player other than Efren, of course Worst and Shorty even. Fats played well enough one game to 50 at 3C to beat Eddie Robin in the 60's.
And on a scale of 1-10, where do you see yourself? Who is 10?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
And on a scale of 1-10, where do you see yourself? Who is 10?
Obviously a "9", (in my prime) if I gave him 25 on 50! If you don't understand it, 3C is the easiest game to handicap and stall!
There are several, (about 12 in the world) players that are considered to be the, 'Best' in the business.

Last edited:

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Obviously a "9", (in my prime) if I gave him 25 on 50! If you don't understand it, 3C is the easiest game to handicap and stall!
There are several, (about 12 in the world) players that are considered to be the, 'Best' in the business.
No, I don't know how to handicap 3C. So, are the very best players in the world 10?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
No, I don't know how to handicap 3C. So, are the very best players in the world 10?
!00%, that's why they are, '10's'! 3C is all ranked by, 'average', the top players in the world, Now, average thru out a year in sanctioned events, 1.85 - 2.10 billiards per inning. The 2 or 3 best players in USA Now, average, 1.25-1.40 in National events. But, now days, there are Many lessor players of ability in these fields! Maybe 1/2 of them are, 0.700 players or less.

In pool, I guess you have the, 'Fargo' rating. Just imagine the player at the top of that list is considered a, '10', and work back down on a percentage.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
On a scale from, 1-10, Jimmy was a 4-5, 3C player. He and I are friendly adversaries, and have gambled for Big$ giving him 25 on 50. Artie also played him giving a spot, so did NYC Pancho. For the money, Artie played 3C good enough to beat any pool/3c player other than Efren, of course Worst and Shorty even. Fats played well enough one game to 50 at 3C to beat Eddie Robin in the 60's. Before all these players, there was, Alfredo De Oro, Johnny Layton, and Joe Procita. Fats and Mosconi played about the same playing 3C. Maybe a slight edge, 5 points on 50 to Mosconi, maybe!

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
Torbjörn Blomdahl likes to play one pocket but he's not as good at it as 3 cushion. It's hard to find a 1P game in Europe.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
This thread made me think of how to invent a new game, 3 cushion one pocket. You either have to bank the ball at least 3 rails and make it to count, or kick 3 or more rails and pocket a ball in your hole to score.
It would probably take a while, but just bet more!

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
This thread made me think of how to invent a new game, 3 cushion one pocket. You either have to bank the ball at least 3 rails and make it to count, or kick 3 or more rails and pocket a ball in your hole to score.
Rack 6 balls, first to 4.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Isn't that the 3. entry in the pool players dictionary for 'sadomasochist'?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Johnny 'Irish' Lineen comes to mind as a swing player between pocket billiards and 3C. He undoubtedly is reportedly a great player at all pocket billiard games, and of course OP. He went to Johnston City in '61, and of course was the mentor of two great OP players Jersey Red and Ervolino. Jersey Red stated he is the finest player he has ever seen.
In '39 he was on course to win the world straight pool championship beating champion after champion when a bout of pleurisy knock him out. But he continued exhibitions in pool and 3C, he beat Matsuyama running 16 3C billiards. Who is Matsuyama?
In '54 when Harold Worst (age 25) won the world's 3C championship, Irish went to his home and beat him on his own billiard table.
In snooker he could make the spotted 6 ball in the pocket and draw the cb past the side pocket before the cb touched a rail, from the D box.
A Chicago billiard hustler Harry Cohn went to Florida to hustler and Johnny stepped up, and the guy asked; "are you 'Irish', the guy left. Who is Harry Cohn?
I think a slew of players of the 40's, 50's such as Metz, Camp, plus a slew of black players probably had some back ground in 3C also.
It is so hard to imagine that Irish is not somehow in our OP hall of fame.
Carry on, Guys!
thanks, Whitey

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
Jimmy Marino was a very good crossover player but like Marvin and Ed Kelly his game could only go over so far. Of the best pool players I've seen personally Boston Shorty was probably the best cross over player. Kansas City Jack who worked all his life played pretty sporty pool and 3C. Mr. 3C probably would remember him from LA in the late 60's and 70's.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Jimmy Marino was a very good crossover player but like Marvin and Ed Kelly his game could only go over so far. Of the best pool players I've seen personally Boston Shorty was probably the best cross over player. Kansas City Jack who worked all his life played pretty sporty pool and 3C. Mr. 3C probably would remember him from LA in the late 60's and 70's.
Jerry, Jimmy M. (I busted him in Frisco at Palace), didn't play as well as Marvin and Kelly, they would be an even game in 3C having played both, Marvin for HUGE $ in Detroit and Kelly for $200 a game, he lasted 2 games. Obviously, Worst & Efren played better than Shorty, I never ran into KC Jack, and I was around LA the first time in 72, mostly at 4th & Main, Valley. Stayed away at that time from going to North Hollywood, I couldn't beat Al Gilbert then or most likely Charlie Milliken, they were the best players for money in LA at that time.

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Gary Spaeth played some 3 cushion (and straight rail billiards) but I am not sure how well he played compared to regular 3 cushion players but his stroke was so good he played all games pretty well IMO.