Mkbtank Derby Report

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
For me the Derby was great, aside from the actual 1p tournament. First round as stated before I drew Mike Dechaine. There were two small highlights from that match. 1) He had me basically stuck to the top of the stack with balls on his side. I was planning on just nudging balls to my side, even if it meant taking a scratch. Mike sees me cueing and jumps up and says intensely, “Wait! Let me get a ref” I said sure. The ref comes over and I (Using a bridge, no less) shoot down into the stack and push through the ball, shoving 3 balls my way including the cue ball forward about a foot. I was ready for the call of foul, when the ref yells…… “Good hit!” Mike went crazy. 2) In the last game, Mike was 3-2. He ran 4 and got shape on his last ball, which was uptable and a few feet from the cue. I think that he expected me to give it to him, but I said nothing, so, to make some kind of statement, he fired the case ball…… and rattled it. It was pretty unnecessary and frankly I chuckled when he didn’t pocket it. I then ran 3 balls drug the game out a bit longer before he made a great bank to win. My second tournament match was against a solid player named Dave Ciamorelli (sp). I won the first, he won the next two, then I won the fourth game to make it hill-hill with my break. He then took a 5 minute break and returned 15 minutes later. Last game was a battle, with him getting the cheese. I did miss shape during the second game playing too tentatively which would have changed things, so I blame myself for that. He was beaten in the next round, and before I left I gambled with the guy who beat him (who was pretty rude, and pulled a move taking the first break) in a race to 3 and beat him (small consolation which Straightback was there for).

Tournament aside, the very best part for me this year was meeting, playing, and hanging out with the guys from the site! I had a goal this trip of playing as many of you gents as possible and I don’t think that anyone could accuse me of not playing enough J At one point we (1P.org guys) help a table in the action room (thanks to a call from the Ghost) from about 12 noon until close to 12 at night playing round robin for 20 a game and ending at night with Col Bille and I matching up. Overall I was able to match up with The Ghost twice, Steve Booth twice, Bille twice, and SzcrBill and I had a 5 ½ hour match. Also played Straightback, Miller twice (Though he may not remember lol), Tom Wirth, Crabcatjohn, Onepocketguy, Don, Fast Eddie, LsJohn, Cloidius, and Calibrate. Seriously what a nice bunch of guys.

Add to that having enjoyable breakfasts the past few days with Bernie one day and Ken Shuman the next, and fantastic Chinese food with Tom, Dan. Steve, and Brandon Shuff. I really never played great this week, but good enough, and my normally ugly stroke was as bad as it has ever been. Not sure if it was nerves, or being tentative playing on Diamonds for the first time since last year's Derby but probably a bit of both. I know there were a few stretches where I looked horrific. Oh well. I'll fix that next year :). This trip was awesome!!!!

Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
For me the Derby was great, aside from the actual 1p tournament. First round as stated before I drew Mike Dechaine. There were two small highlights from that match. 1) He had me basically stuck to the top of the stack with balls on his side. I was planning on just nudging balls to my side, even if it meant taking a scratch. Mike sees me cueing and jumps up and says intensely, “Wait! Let me get a ref” I said sure. The ref comes over and I (Using a bridge, no less) shoot down into the stack and push through the ball, shoving 3 balls my way including the cue ball forward about a foot. I was ready for the call of foul, when the ref yells…… “Good hit!” Mike went crazy. 2) In the last game, Mike was 3-2. He ran 4 and got shape on his last ball, which was uptable and a few feet from the cue. I think that he expected me to give it to him, but I said nothing, so, to make some kind of statement, he fired the case ball…… and rattled it. It was pretty unnecessary and frankly I chuckled when he didn’t pocket it. I then ran 3 balls drug the game out a bit longer before he made a great bank to win. My second tournament match was against a solid player named Dave Ciamorelli (sp). I won the first, he won the next two, then I won the fourth game to make it hill-hill with my break. He then took a 5 minute break and returned 15 minutes later. Last game was a battle, with him getting the cheese. I did miss shape during the second game playing too tentatively which would have changed things, so I blame myself for that. He was beaten in the next round, and before I left I gambled with the guy who beat him (who was pretty rude, and pulled a move taking the first break) in a race to 3 and beat him (small consolation which Straightback was there for).

Tournament aside, the very best part for me this year was meeting, playing, and hanging out with the guys from the site! I had a goal this trip of playing as many of you gents as possible and I don’t think that anyone could accuse me of not playing enough J At one point we (1P.org guys) help a table in the action room (thanks to a call from the Ghost) from about 12 noon until close to 12 at night playing round robin for 20 a game and ending at night with Col Bille and I matching up. Overall I was able to match up with The Ghost twice, Steve Booth twice, Bille twice, and SzrBill and I had a 5 ½ hour match. Also played Straightback, Miller twice (Though he may not remember lol), Tom Wirth, Crabcatjohn, Onepocketguy, Don, Fast Eddie, Cloidius, and Calibrate. Seriously what a nice bunch of guys.

Add to that having enjoyable breakfasts the past few days with Bernie one day and Ken Shuman the next, and fantastic Chinese food with Tom, Dan. Steve, and Brandon Shuff. I really never played great this week, but good enough, and my normally ugly stroke was as bad as it has ever been. Not sure if it was nerves, or being tentative playing on Diamonds for the first time since last year's Derby but probably a bit of both. I know there were a few stretches where I looked horrific. Oh well. I'll fix that next year :). This trip was awesome!!!!

Nice report, Mitch. Playing 'tentative' is a curse. There aught to be a drill or exercise you could do before you start that would get that our of your system.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Mkbtank Derby Report

Go Mitch.....Philadelphia is proud of you. Glad you had fun.

Thanks Frank. Tom says that you are as nice in person as you seem online. Look forward to hooking up when you get back to the cold state LOL

Last edited:

JAM

Verified Member
Thanks for the colorful trip report. I felt like I was right there. Bravo!

That Brandon Shuff is a pretty nice guy, a homeboy for us. We're proud of him. Sho'nuff! :)

calibration

Verified Member
From
Clarkston, Michigan
start of tradition

start of tradition

Roomie!

Was great sharing a room with you bub...I've been practicing on leaving the seat down...lol

Keep in touch

Cal

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I'd like to nominate Mitch for the 2015 Derby City action award. This guy was in action every time I saw him. He was playing one guy then another, then another. He was everywhere. First I'd see him on one table upstairs then I'd see him on a table downstairs, then back upstairs again playing some kind of challenge match so he could play more guys all at the same time. I was beginning to think he had cloned himself a few times over. He was a riot, and I know because of that perma-grin on his face he had a blast from the moment he arrived in Louisville!

Nice going Mitch, :)

Tom

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I can attest that this is true, Mitch was a friendly One Pocket maniac, lol.

There was a huge crew of OnePocket.org guys there this year, and although there was no "OnePocket.org/AZBilliards room" as Mitch said, there was a lot of table sharing, with the Ghost often grabbing the table in the morning and letting the rest of us know it was available. The toughest thing this year was getting an open table before midnight, because all three divisions had about a 20% increase in player entries this year, so the place was swarming. In the action room once the hard core gamblers get on a table they stay on it for hours -- or in some cases, days -- so with only 5 of the 9' Diamonds in there it was tough even in the AM sometimes.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Mkbtank Derby Report

I'd like to nominate Mitch for the 2015 Derby City action award. This guy was in action every time I saw him. He was playing one guy then another, then another. He was everywhere. First I'd see him on one table upstairs then I'd see him on a table downstairs, then back upstairs again playing some kind of challenge match so he could play more guys all at the same time. I was beginning to think he had cloned himself a few times over. He was a riot, and I know because of that perma-grin on his face he had a blast from the moment he arrived in Louisville!

Nice going Mitch, :)

Tom

Hahahah. Thanks Tom! I tried :).

I can attest that this is true, Mitch was a friendly One Pocket maniac, lol.

There was a huge crew of OnePocket.org guys there this year, and although there was no "OnePocket.org/AZBilliards room" as Mitch said, there was a lot of table sharing, with the Ghost often grabbing the table in the morning and letting the rest of us know it was available. The toughest thing this year was getting an open table before midnight, because all three divisions had about a 20% increase in player entries this year, so the place was swarming. In the action room once the hard core gamblers get on a table they stay on it for hours -- or in some cases, days -- so with only 5 of the 9' Diamonds in there it was tough even in the AM sometimes.

Thanks Steve :)

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Dcc

Dcc

I had a great time meeting all the guys on OnePocket .Org Mitch is a nice person and so are all the other guys. Nobody loves onepocket more than Mitch. Every time I saw him , he was in action. I met guys I knew 30 years ago and enjoyed every minute of it.I never saw such big action in my life. Sets for 50 large and next set 30 large and 1 game of 9 ball 5 K. When I got back I slept for2 days. Thanks Guys for making this trip GREAT. EddieFriedman AKA FastEddieF.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Mkbtank Derby Report

I had a great time meeting all the guys on OnePocket .Org Mitch is a nice person and so are all the other guys. Nobody loves onepocket more than Mitch. Every time I saw him , he was in action. I met guys I knew 30 years ago and enjoyed every minute of it.I never saw such big action in my life. Sets for 50 large and next set 30 large and 1 game of 9 ball 5 K. When I got back I slept for2 days. Thanks Guys for making this trip GREAT. EddieFriedman AKA FastEddieF.

Lol. Thanks Fast Eddie. It was my pleasure as well, although I'm sure I don't love this game more than any of the guys(girls) on this site. Bernard tells me that you were quite a straight pool player when he met you. Please definitely tell the Catbird (aka: Tim Scruggs) that I send my regards.